Are you on an anti-depressant? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
View Poll Results: Are you on an anti-depressant?
Yes 16 25.40%
No 47 74.60%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2004, 08:11 AM   #46
Local Time: 06:36 PM
A couple of times but not for being depressed. Once for my bad back (supposed to help when nerve is the problem) and twice for trying to quit smoking (wellbutrin). Anyway as weird as it sounds, I can't take it because it actually makes me depressed. It's true. I am never depressed but for some reason these meds make me feel depressed. Hope I never need it for this reason because it doesn't work on me.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:00 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
Anti-depressants are useful to people who have *biochemical* imbalances in their brains and such. Perhaps some people are on them who don't need to be on them, but it's tough to argue with chemistry. I am not a doctor, but I'm a doctor's kid! There are also some patients whose physical problems, like heart disease, are being made worse, and possibly more dangerous, by too much stress in their lives. There's a use for these drugs, they just need to use caution and scientific processes to use them the right way.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #48
New Yorker
Local Time: 07:36 PM
Antidepressants are useful in a number of things. Many of the marketed drugs like Zoloft(sertraline), Paxil(paroxetine) or Prozac(fluoxetine), SSRIs or selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, can be used for other things that depression. These drugs inhibit axonal re-uptake of both serotonin, norepinephrine and others like dopamine. These neurotransmitters play a role in chronic pain and nuropathies and postulated regulation of mood and behavior. Paxil is also used for OCD, pre-mature ejaculation and anxiety. Doctors just don't fully understand the pathology of depression but these drugs do work and they are useful in so many other disease states. There are other antidepressants I could discuss but I won't go on because I could talk about this forever. These are great drugs and you shouldn't be afraid of them.

Since I do have a doctorate in pharmacy I can give you guys a little more information.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:36 AM
Just wanted to comment about the Aussie health system. If you are just above being considered low income and not eligible for any government benefits and can't afford private health insurance, you just have to pray you don't get sick. Thanks heavens my kids were healthy and didn't need much treatment. If we do have to consult a doctor Medicare only covers about 40%. That's a help, but it still can add up. I think the Pharmacutical (sp Dr gherman?there seems to be an "e" missing)Benefit Scheme is about to change too, because of the Free Trade Agreement.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:07 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Originally posted by meegannie
Contrary to what some people think, antidepressants don't just make you deleriously happy and forget about all your problems; they just make you more emotionally stable and more capable of dealing with those problems. If they do make you manic or spacey, you probably aren't on the right medication.

Basically, for me Zoloft helped me feel like "me" again, not this miserable, panicky person I felt like when I was depressed. Some people have mentioned that when they were on anti-depressents it made them feel like they were in a fog, but for me when I was depressed I was in a fog and the medication helped to lift it.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:38 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
Originally posted by kellyahern

Some people have mentioned that when they were on anti-depressents it made them feel like they were in a fog, but for me when I was depressed I was in a fog and the medication helped to lift it.
Me too. With the first two medications I was on (Celexa and Wellbutrin), I had that foggy, detached feeling, but I don't have it all with the one I'm on now, and in fact, everything is so much clearer. I think it's just a matter of finding the right medication or combination of medications.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:33 PM   #52
Local Time: 02:36 PM

I have been on Paxil almost five years...the side effects were difficult at first but they subsided. I see a psychologist, though - the medication is not a silver bullet. As people have already said in this thread, it isn't for everyone. My problems were getting to the point of unbearable when I started the therapy/psych my life is so much better, it is unbelievable.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:57 PM   #53
The Fly
Local Time: 01:36 PM
I'm not taking an anti-depressant but I am taking medication for arthritis . I am TOO young to have this but...

Drink milk, love life!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by Mullen-Girl
I went to like counseling and stuff and I was told it's hereditary because both my parents have it and I should take medication for it...i've been thinking about it lately.

I know someone that HAS to take Zoloft or they'll have panic attacks

you and I should speak; this is the situation I'm in.

if you feel like it, email me:
if not, that's cool too.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:52 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:36 AM
by now, you'd think i wouldn't reply to this thread... well, neither did i.

Been on anti-depressants (among other things) since I was almost 15.

My IQ probably dropped a good 20some points since then. (Hence, my usual nonsense gibberish.)

Now excuse me while I smoke my ProCrack pipe.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:36 AM
^clarification: I usually don't like to divulge personal details about the given subject matter (hence, the previous cryptic post)... I didn't mean to offend anyone by my previous post I written last night... I was just trying to vent my frustrations with a particular branch of medicine. Thank you for understanding. --zfmf
Old 04-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #57
Local Time: 04:36 AM
great im feeling more miserable than usual thanks to these holidays

who the hell died and made this time of the year the most boring time of the year?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:16 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:36 AM
The chockies are good though