Arcade Fire new stuff 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So yeah, those songs weren't total crap. I thought they were interesting, a neat little change of pace for a band that was in grave danger of taking itself too seriously. Of the two, I preferred Month of May; Suburbs just wanders on and on without justifying its existence, even though its melody was quite pretty.

Also, yes, these tracks lack the Arcade Fire magic, but I'm starting to believe that was a one album thing. Neon Bible was lab-tested to be goosebump-inducing, but that's just not the way it works, and the EP is whatever. As long as this album is exciting and shows the band challenging itself somewhat, I'll be OK without Funeral 3.

Gave both songs a listen, they did nothing for me unfortunately. They feel, I don't know, plain somehow, no mystery or spark.

Pretty much my take. Not bad songs by any stretch, but I imagine people are so hard-up for anything from this band it doesn't take much to get them excited.

Just got the full quality downloads, and it's a huge difference, these have many more layers and spark than the radio rip which was pretty flat. Makes a huge difference in The Suburbs, not quite so pronounced a difference in Month of May but still a much richer sound.

I thought they were interesting, a neat little change of pace for a band that was in grave danger of taking itself too seriously.

This is exactly what I'm thinking as well. "Month of May" is really a lot different than anything they've done. Although I'm no expert on the band. It's a fun song. It sounds like something that might have been whipped up on a whim in the studio, really quickly, without overthinking it. I like.

There are rumours that The Suburbs will be a double album:

Arcade Fire to release third album in August

Montreal collective reveal more details about forthcoming LP, The Suburbs. But will it be a double album?

Sean Michaels
guardian.co.uk, Friday 28 May 2010 10.04 BST

Arcade-Fire-005.jpg
Sound of The Suburbs ... Arcade Fire. Photograph: Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

Arcade Fire have announced more details of their third album, The Suburbs. With the title track already available as a limited-edition 12in single, the rest of the LP – rumoured to be a double album – will be released on 2 August.

In interviews yesterday with NPR and Radio 1, the Montreal group revealed the first details of their follow-up to Neon Bible, while admitting that they are "still finishing" the album. "A lot has happened in the last couple [of] years," explained frontman Win Butler. After taking a year off, Arcade Fire began recording in May 2009, working at their church studio in rural Quebec, in Butler and his wife Régine Chassagne's living room, and at "a 'real' studio" in New York City.

The first two samples, The Suburbs and Month of May, are available on the Arcade Fire website, and fewer than a thousand vinyl singles have reportedly been sent to independent record shops around the world. Although the band prefer the idea of a tangible vinyl single to a digital release, Butler's brother Will emphasised that it's "not [a] particularly nostalgic" gesture. "I was born well after records died," he said. Both songs are also available as digital downloads.

The band have also released some initial artwork for The Suburbs, including a vintage photograph from the Houston suburbs where the Butler brothers grew up. "We moved to the suburbs of Houston when we were young," Win told NPR. "As a young child it's kind of like [moving] to Mars." Butler wanted to revisit those experiences. "A lot of my heroes, from Bob Dylan to Joe Strummer, were suburban kids who had to pretend they were train-hoppers for their whole lives."

It's a diverse album, Will said, ranging from rock to folk and even electronic elements. His brother was less forthcoming. "Spoiler alert!" Win joked. "All of our albums will sound different than the ones that came before." Once again, violinist Owen Pallett provides string arrangements. Asked about the rumoured "38 songs" recorded for the album, Win "promised" there weren't that many tracks. But he has been a little evasive about whether The Suburbs is a doublealbum. Some fans have focused on a comment by Will, where he mentioned the Beatles' White Album.

For the moment, fans will have to be content with the new single, placing their pre-orders for CD, gatefold vinyl, and a limited-edition poster.

Just got the full quality downloads, and it's a huge difference, these have many more layers and spark than the radio rip which was pretty flat. Makes a huge difference in The Suburbs, not quite so pronounced a difference in Month of May but still a much richer sound.

Are these available to buy now? Even though I didn't like the rips, I at least owe it to them to try out the real songs. Despite my negativity, I WANT to like the new stuff.

Bought 'em. Thank ya, sir.

Merge Records better not have anything to do with Arts & Crafts.

I'm assuming the official releases sound better than those streams from the other day. For anyone who has heard them, has it changed your opinion about either song? I'm at work and won't be able to get them until tonight.

I too can't download them until later, but I'll let you know when I have a chance, Phanan.

I'm assuming the official releases sound better than those streams from the other day. For anyone who has heard them, has it changed your opinion about either song? I'm at work and won't be able to get them until tonight.

They do sound much better, especially on The Suburbs (song) - you get the full range of instrumentation on the official release, the stream obscures a lot. It did change my opinion about The Suburbs, I like it a lot better now.

I just heard The Suburbs on KEXP, and I'm surprised by how much more I like it hearing it now.

I just heard The Suburbs on KEXP, and I'm surprised by how much more I like it hearing it now.

It really grows on you. I like it more and more.
I have great faith in this album.

And whoever said that Arcade Fire magic is a "one-album-thing" (can't be bothered to go back and check :wink: ) needs to go back and listen to Intervention again.

The original organ-less version of the song they were playing during the Funeral era is still more interesting to me musically. Both are nice though.

Is there a studio version of it available?

I might be one of the only people who considers Neon Bible to be a better overall album than Funeral, though there are more outstanding songs on the debut ("Wake Up," "Rebellion," "Tunnels").

Obviously his voice was screwed up at the time, so the singing isn't as moving, but I love the music itself. Oddly, you can kinda hear a lot of it in the studio version if you listen closely to what's happening in the background. I do love the organ stuff, but they may have over used it on some of the songs.

The cover of Magnetic Field's Born On A Train they did during that same radio session was crazily awesome. I've never been sure if I like it or the original more.

Intervention gave me chills the first bazillion times or so I listened to it. No more chills, but still really powerful and super like-oh-my-god awesome.

New tour dates!

Merge Records

7-June Sherbrooke QC – Theater Granada
8-June Sherbrooke QC – Theater Granada
30-June Rättvik, Sweden – Dalhalla
2-July Tromøy, Norway – Hove Festival
4-July Werchter, Belgium – Rock Werchter
9-July County Kildare, Ireland – Oxegen Festival
12-July Quebec, Canada – Quebec City Summer Festival
13-July Ottawa, Canada – Ottawa Bluesfest
31-July Montreal, QC – Osheaga
1-Aug Boston, MA – Bank of America Pavillion
2-Aug Philadelphia, PA – Mann Centre for the Performing Arts *
4-Aug New York, NY – Madison Square Garden *
6-Aug Washington, DC – Merriweather Post Pavilion *

8-Aug Chicago, IL – Lollapalooza
9-Aug Nashville, TN – Ryman Auditorium
11-Aug Atlanta, GA – Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre *

14-Aug Toronto, ON – Olympic Island
27-Aug Leeds, UK – Leeds Festival
27-Aug Reading, UK – Reading Festival
29-Aug Saint Cloud, France – Rock En Seine
2-Sept Bologna, Italy – I-Day Festival

* Spoon opening

Intervention - Black Waves/Bad Vibrations - Ocean Of Noise. That sequence is as good as about anything off Funeral. But the rest, save for a song or two, aren't nearly as moving.

I like Intervention, but I was never that over the moon about it. Probably 3-4 songs that impress me more on that album.

Same. Intervention kind of got fucked though; being the first single following one of my all time favorite albums was an extremely unfortunate position for it. If it was anything less than the greatest song ever written, it would be forever scarred in my memory. It's a good song though, just a little...really melodramatic. I also don't like lyrics that do absolutely everything in their power to wrench tears from me. I'm actually an easy catch in that regard, but I lock up completely in those situations.

Ignoring Intervention for a moment, Keep The Car Running, Ocean of Noise, and No Cars Go are classics. Neon Bible is a good album, but I can't get two tracks into Funeral without being utterly captivated by it.

That "Black Mirror" webpage video, where you can pick which instruments to play at any given moment is beyond awesome. The only song I don't like on Neon Bible is the title track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom