American sitcoms in the 1980s and early 1990s.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trevster2k said:
Perfect Strangers with Balke which had a spinoff called Family Matters with Erkel.

Yeah, I included Urkel in my 2nd post in the thread (or thereabouts). I didn't know Family Matters was a spinoff though!

Jeez, I watch too much tv.

Looks like most of us did! :lol:

Last edited:
The mother on Family Matters worked in the same office as Larry. Not a true spinoff but that is where her character came from.

Ready for this one.....................................Knight Rider, I loved that talking car when I was kid. It was so cool. Now it seems so stupid.:wink:

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

Oh...ok...whatever.

Not the most important point I've ever made, I must admit.

The A-team? They must be in here somewhere...

Incredible Hulk.

Wonder/Bionic/Super girl/woman (delete as applicable).

Super/Bionic man.

you might have talked about this, but the middle sister on family matters character got written off, and her family went broke, she became a porstar named " crave" her name was jaime foxworthy or something

DeadMansParty said:
you might have talked about this, but the middle sister on family matters character got written off, and her family went broke, she became a porstar named " crave" her name was jaime foxworthy or something

I loved the way she just went upstairs one day and then disappeared forever. :laugh:

I loved Mork & Mindy and M*A*S*H and also [ducks head] The Donny & Marie Show on Sunday nights. That ice skating entrance, the purple socks and the one high and one low boot - man that was high [or low] fashion.

edited to add Fantasy Island. da plane! da plane!

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:
Police Story, Hill Street Blues, LA Law, NYPD Blue

and who can forget those bra-less years of The Love Boat and
Love-American Style..I can't.... ( * ) ( * ) :yikes:.

FINALLY!!! Someone else who remembers the Love Boat!

YellowKite said:
I loved Mork & Mindy and M*A*S*H and also [ducks head] The Donny & Marie Show on Sunday nights. That ice skating entrance, the purple socks and the one high and one low boot - man that was high [or low] fashion.

Mork and Mindy :up:

AAARRGH! Please, not the Donny and Marie show. You'll give me nightmares.

I had the misfortune of seeing the later versions of this 'show' (I use the term loosely here) when I lived in the States. It was even sillier than Jerry Springer. A typical episode that I can recall:

M: Welcome to the Donny and Marie Show!
*crowd applauds wildly*
D: Hello!
*audience provides standing ovation*
M: Well it's good to have you with us today.
*crowd cheers and screams, Beatlemania style.* by this point my head feels as though it is about to explode, merely from looking at these weirdos.
D: Who are our guests now, Marie?
*crowd laughs itself hoarse*
M: Guess what? It's Monday!
*audience shrieks with laughter for no apparent reason, prompting me to seriously consuder putting a brick through the TV*

Bloody awful show! With a studio audience full of people who are either a) high, b) moronic numbskulls with the thought capacity of Baldrick, or c) a combination of the above.:ohmy:

Some things should be left in the 1970s where they belong. This category includes Donny AND Marie (hey, 2 for the price of 1).

Last edited:
perfect strangers--balki bartakamous and his obsession with sheep
the greatest american hero--"believe it or not, i'm walkin' on air"
ALF :huh:

Last edited:
Lord, you guys are sending me on a major trip down memory lane here...

Sitcoms I definitely remember watching when I was a kid:

-Alf
-Perfect Strangers
-Full House
-Step By Step
-Mork and Mindy (hehe, my family got the DVD of that show for Christmas last year :D)
-Night Court (yay, someone mentioned Night Court! I definitely remember seeing that show when I was little)
-Family Matters
-Boy Meets World (ah, T.G.I.F. on ABC...:p).
-Hangin' With Mr. Cooper (think that was early 90s)
-Cheers (my family never watched this one regularly, but I do remember seeing it from time to time)

And of course, reruns of "Happy Days" and "The Brady Bunch" and "The Partridge Family" on whatever channels they would be airing on, too.

Angela

i loved how there was a character on growing pains named "boner"

oh man, the memories this thread has brought back

sallycinnamon78 said:
AAARRGH! Please, not the Donny and Marie show. You'll give me nightmares.

The high cheese factor was the best part! That, the Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and The Wonderful World of Disney were all classic Sunday night TV.

When I was little Donny was so cool in that purple satin jumpsuit and I have fond memories of watching with my best friend Annie. We also had the record from Wizard of Oz that had the witch song that told you to dial 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 to reach her. Man did the operator hate us. "Are your parents home? Does your mom know you are using the telephone? This isn't a toy. What if someone had an emergency?" This was before 9-1-1 and they had real people manning the switchboards.

I was watching late night w/ Conan O'brien last week and he just busted out the Charles in Charge theme song - and he sure seemed to know all the words, hehe :)

YellowKite said:

The high cheese factor was the best part! That, the Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and The Wonderful World of Disney were all classic Sunday night TV.

When I was little Donny was so cool in that purple satin jumpsuit and I have fond memories of watching with my best friend Annie. We also had the record from Wizard of Oz that had the witch song that told you to dial 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 to reach her. Man did the operator hate us. "Are your parents home? Does your mom know you are using the telephone? This isn't a toy. What if someone had an emergency?" This was before 9-1-1 and they had real people manning the switchboards.

Sunday nights ruled in the 70's! :up:

EmilyBono said:
I was watching late night w/ Conan O'brien last week and he just busted out the Charles in Charge theme song - and he sure seemed to know all the words, hehe :)

It's confession time:

I am scared by the fact that I still remember all the words to the theme tunes from CIC, Full House, and various others. Particularly Punky Brewster...

maybe the world is blind
or just a little unkind
don't know
seems you can't be sure of anything anymore
although

you may be lonely and then, one day you're smiling again

every time I turn around
etc etc etc.

That's more than enough of that. I did love that show and remember laughing my head off at Punky getting her first "over-the-shoulder- boulder holder". Kind of ironic really, considering what happened to poor Soleil MoonFrye later in life. I also remember nearly falling off my chair when she randomly turned up in an episode of Friends.

I last saw these shows when I was 13/14 - apart from Punky, which I last watched in 1989. I am now 27. :ohmy:

I've never forgotten the words to the Growing Pains theme tune... and remember all four versions of it!. During the last season they recorded a male choir version. What's even worse is, so obsessed was I with this show, I actually taped the theme tune to listen to. :reject: Yikes.

My best US TV obsession HAS to be Alvin and the Chipmunks. I was 12. My little sister changed her name briefly to 'Jeanette' - in honor of Simon chipmunk's girlfriend. Now that is very scary. Even scarier - I was 'Brittany' and ouir neighbour was 'Eleanor'. :eek:

Too many memories and too much info allround, methinks!:D

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
How come no has mentioned Night Court? I loved Dan Fielding, and Bull. :lol:

My favorite show growing up. In fact, I bought the first season when it came out a couple of months ago(although I prefer the middle-to late-years, when I started watching!)Love the slapstick and sight gags. One of the most underrated shows ever. I mean, c'mon...it was on for eight years, and it doesn't get ]many mentions by people anymore.....a shame..

sallycinnamon78 said:
and remember laughing my head off at Punky getting her first "over-the-shoulder- boulder holder". Kind of ironic really, considering what happened to poor Soleil MoonFrye later in life.

:eyebrow:...what happened?

*Has never seen "Punky Brewster"-heard of it, never saw it*

Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
My best US TV obsession HAS to be Alvin and the Chipmunks. I was 12. My little sister changed her name briefly to 'Jeanette' - in honor of Simon chipmunk's girlfriend. Now that is very scary. Even scarier - I was 'Brittany' and ouir neighbour was 'Eleanor'. :eek:

LOL...oh, my god, I loved that cartoon, too! :D. I remember the three girl chipmunks...yep, yep :yes:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom