American Idol-Season 7 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2isthebest said:
He said he was exhausted and burned out from the schedule, which many other contestants have said as well.

I was reading a column somewhere this week that said the same thing, and that it was one of the reasons the show wasn't all that great this year; that the contestants were looking more burned out and exhausted than in previous years.

I know that's a hard truth about a lot of reality shows, but there has to be something the show can do to make it a little easier on the singers.

Just watching it it seemed like something wasn't quite right for a couple of the singers (Carly, Jason, Brooke stand out). I kind of felt that way about LaKisha last year too...all singers who seemed to "fall off" a bit as the season dragged on.

corianderstem said:

I was reading a column somewhere this week that said the same thing, and that it was one of the reasons the show wasn't all that great this year; that the contestants were looking more burned out and exhausted than in previous years.

I know that's a hard truth about a lot of reality shows, but there has to be something the show can do to make it a little easier on the singers.

Like not making them take trips to Vegas on the weekends when they could be rehearsing and sleeping? Seriously, that was really unnecessary for them.

Catching up on the top 4 performances via youtube...

What the hell did DaveC do to Baba O Riley? The arrangement was horrid. He repeated "teenage wasteland" over and over for half the song. His vocals are still good though.

Jason wasn't THAT bad, just sloppy. Sheriff was lazy, and he made some mistakes in Mr. Tambourine Man. Whatever. Still not sure why the Whitney Houston ripoff is still here.

corianderstem said:
I don't know why some of you (looks at GirlsAloudFan and U2isthebest) keep slamming David Cook. He's shown much more range than Daughtry ever did. I assume you bring up the Hinder thing because he's got the "rock" voice, like Daughtry did.

Is this still about the whole "he let people think it was his own arrangement" thing?

Cori I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to you on this but I've been seriously racking my brain trying to come up with the perfect way to articulate my full-blooded hatred for David Cook.

One of these days I'm going to come up with a good answer. I promise. I don't want to just come with a shallow, irrational reason for why I despise him. I'm going to try to give some valid arguments for why I think he should be thrown back to the pits of hell from whence he came.

I can tell you it has a lot to do with his voice and how much it bothers me. But his yucky vocal stylings aren't the only reason why I can't stand the guy.

Also, I've said it before but this smiley - :yuck: - does a pretty good job of describing him in my eyes.

But my full report will be coming soon. Perhaps after I take a nap.

There's nothing to hate about DaveC as an individual. What he represents is sometimes a bit annoying though...that is, nu/alt metal, but I can't hold that against him. Dude is an awesome singer. Plus, listen to his Daytripper and All Right Now covers and tell me he isn't a genuine rock star. This guy knows what he's doing and has talent.

Final 3 Song Spoilers... (actually only one so far)

David Cook reveals his song choices this morning:

His Choice - “The World I Know” by Collective Soul
Simon Cowell Choses for Him - “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” by Roberta Flack
The third song is picked by the producers.

I wonder if he'll change the arrangement of the first...
I wonder how he will do the second one :hmm: I think that could be quite interesting!

lee58b38876483e7c7f886bsi7.gif

Jason will be missed.

Interesting song spoilers. Well, the judge's choice for Cook is, anyway. Great song, but straaaaange choice. It'll either be great or a trainwreck. If Syesha kills her song choice, she might stand a chance of knocking Archie out of the finale. More likely she'll just go sharp on the high notes (something I wish the judges would call her out on more often.)

And it seems Archie's father has been banned from the backstage area AND the song rehearsals. The plot thickens...

As posted on mjsbigblog:

According to the brainstrust at TMZ David Archuleta’s dad, Jeff Archuleta is banned, baby!

Here’s how it went down. “Idol” sources tell TMZ Jeff has been a complete pain in the ass, interfering with the entire production. He has badgered producers, the band, vocal coaches and even other contestants. The final straw came this week, when Jeff wanted to change the lyrics to David’s first song, “Stand By Me.” Jeff insisted on adding a verse from Sean Kingston’s hit, “Beautiful Girls.” Producers sent him an e-mail telling him the lyrics could not be changed. They were beyond pissed when David sang the song with Kingston’s lyrics during the live show.

We’re told by changing the lyrics, it created problems with the song’s publisher and cost “A.I.” a lot of money.

Jeff was ordered to sit with “A.I.” lawyers on Wednesday, who told him he was “banned from being in the rooms where David was learning or rehearsing his songs.” It’s “Idol’s” position, since David is 17, he does not need a guardian — just a teacher. Jeff will be allowed to sit in the audience during the live show but he’s 86′d from anything backstage.

Sources say the other contestants were fed up with Jeff and didn’t want him near them. Now they have their wish.

I generally avoid linking to the TMZ assclowns, but I’m making an exception here, ’cause I have a feeling the story is true. Where there’s smoke there’s fire ya know.

In a matter of hours, E! Online, Entertainment Weekly, MTV et al are gonna be all over this story. More will be revealed, I’m sure.

ETA: An excellent question brought up by peeps in comments. Did TPTB leak this story to TMZ? Many of us believe the producers themselves link information to TMZ (moles my ass). If Idol leaked this story, what’s their motivation?

Speculate and discuss!

ETAA: The Associated Press is wasting no time. They are reporting the story, citing an unnamed source…

stirthepot.gif

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
As posted on mjsbigblog:

According to the brainstrust at TMZ David Archuleta’s dad, Jeff Archuleta is banned, baby!

Here’s how it went down. “Idol” sources tell TMZ Jeff has been a complete pain in the ass, interfering with the entire production. He has badgered producers, the band, vocal coaches and even other contestants. The final straw came this week, when Jeff wanted to change the lyrics to David’s first song, “Stand By Me.” Jeff insisted on adding a verse from Sean Kingston’s hit, “Beautiful Girls.” Producers sent him an e-mail telling him the lyrics could not be changed. They were beyond pissed when David sang the song with Kingston’s lyrics during the live show.

We’re told by changing the lyrics, it created problems with the song’s publisher and cost “A.I.” a lot of money.

Jeff was ordered to sit with “A.I.” lawyers on Wednesday, who told him he was “banned from being in the rooms where David was learning or rehearsing his songs.” It’s “Idol’s” position, since David is 17, he does not need a guardian — just a teacher. Jeff will be allowed to sit in the audience during the live show but he’s 86′d from anything backstage.

Sources say the other contestants were fed up with Jeff and didn’t want him near them. Now they have their wish.

I generally avoid linking to the TMZ assclowns, but I’m making an exception here, ’cause I have a feeling the story is true. Where there’s smoke there’s fire ya know.

In a matter of hours, E! Online, Entertainment Weekly, MTV et al are gonna be all over this story. More will be revealed, I’m sure.

ETA: An excellent question brought up by peeps in comments. Did TPTB leak this story to TMZ? Many of us believe the producers themselves link information to TMZ (moles my ass). If Idol leaked this story, what’s their motivation?

Speculate and discuss!

ETAA: The Associated Press is wasting no time. They are reporting the story, citing an unnamed source…

stirthepot.gif

Hmm.

Well I totally buy the banning, and frankly I'm surprised it didn't come sooner. Just knowing his background re: the crap he pulled when Archie was on Star Search should have been enough for AI to keep Mr. Archie on a short leash. At the very least he seems like one of those obnoxious overbearing stage dads who probably deserves a slap.

Not sure I buy the whole changing the lyrics business though. The singers do it all the time. Sounds like an excuse...and even if it's really the problem it was David who actually broke the rules and sang the alternate lyric. Not sure it's really fair to blame Jeff for that.

And the spoilers...Simon's choice could actually be pretty clever, I don't like the other 2 for various reasons, because Randy's sounds like a setup, having her take on one of the "sacred cows", though she's been doing it all season so why not I guess. Paula's sounds like Jeff Archuleta chose it. It's the kind of thing he's been singing all season, boring and safe.

Would be nice to see Cook and Syesha rewarded for taking some risk while Archu-D2 gets bounced in the upset of the season :)

My guess the beef with changing the lyrics is that they had the licensing for Stand By Me, but not for Beautiful Girls? While yeah, they're basically the same damn song, music-wise, it's a whole separate licensing issue.

Kinda like how you don't get the Send in the Clowns snippet in any copies of Under a Blood Red Sky. :wink:

Don't think there is one...singers sing 3 songs: their pick, judges pick, production pick (I think).

So I heard the Brooke White album this morning.

Not so good. I didn't hear an ounce of the singer-songwriter thing I expected hearing comparisons to Tori Amos and Joni Mitchell.

It was watered down, mediocre pop. Her cover of Coldplay's "Yellow" wasn't bad, and I actually kind of liked her cover of Aerosmith's "Dream On" (I know, right?), but I thought it was pretty bad.

And I LIKE pop music.

As far as I know, it's mostly originals with those two covers. Since it was a download, I don't have liner notes or anything.

The originals (if they were originals) were pretty unimpressive.

not much has changed in the spoiler dept.

David Cook

Simon Cowell chose: “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” by Roberta Flack
David chose: “The World I Know” by Collective Soul
The producers chose: undetermined
Syesha Mercado

Randy Jackson chose: “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys
Syesha Chose: undetermined
The producers chose: undetermined
David Archuleta

Paula Abdul chose: “And So It Goes” by Billy Joel
David chose: “With You” by Chris Brown
The producers chose: “Longer” by Dan Fogelberg

I don't know D.A.'s song choice, nor Paula's for him. I know the producer's song, and it's a ballad. Even if he sings them well, what relevance do these type of songs have in today's market? He'll sell to adult contemporary? I don't see tweens being interested in that type of song. :der:

www.mjsbigblog.com

David Archuleta - More on Papagate
Published by mj May 13th, 2008 in American Idol, Video, Season 7, David Archuleta and S7 Top 12.

Rickey covered the story this morning–David Archuleta’s vocal coach ran interference for the family on the CBS Early Show Monday morning. I clipped the interview later in the afternoon, and when I went back to check a few hours later, it had over 1000 hits!

This story still has legs! It continues to wind it’s way through the news cycle.

Randy Jackson weighs in in an interview with The Canadian Press. Besides predicting a David and David finale, he downplays Papagate while at the same time admitting that stage parents can make the Idol experience even more stressful for a contestant:

“We’re never backstage and we don’t have that interaction with the contestants at all,” Jackson said from Los Angeles. “I think there’s probably more of a press story there than a reality.”

Still, Jackson admitted that parents can make a tough situation tougher by adding to the anxiety of a youngster already shaken by the prospect of singing live on television.

“It’s hard on the kids, regardless,” he said of the weekly “Idol” broadcast.

“You can put yourself back into high school where your parents are at every show, every stage play, every game, every whatever. I think it’s the added pressure - you want to do good in front of them. … I think the show’s tough on these kids when you imagine that 25 or 30 million people could be watching you that night.”

Indeed, Jeff Archuleta isn’t Idol’s first stage-parent-from-hell according to the stories I’ve heard…

And there is more. Read what MTV, New York Magazine, Idolator, Good Morning America, and Entertainment Weekly have to say. ABC News even has a pictorial review of famous showbiz stage parents!

How will Archie do without Daddy running interference with the Idol staff on his behalf? It’s one more stress for David, probably one he doesn’t need. While there’s always rehearsal time back at the apartment, and cell phone calls that can be made throughout the day, when push comes to shove, it’s going to be Davey vs the Idol staff. I think the Idol staff will win ’cause Davey isn’t use to sticking up for himself. With the Idol staff in a position to exert some influence, David’s performances will likely take on some new dimensions.

It won’t matter, however. I agree with the pundits who think this will be a win-win situation for Archie. If he stinks up the joint, he’ll get a flood of pity votes. If he’s good, there will be much ohhing and ahhing over his ability to succeed without Daddy Dearest.

I’m thinking there is more to this story than is being reported. The whole Sean Kingston/Beautiful Girls kerfuffle may have been a handy excuse to finally get Daddy, who had become a huge pain in the ass, out of the Idol staff’s hair, and also away from the contestants as they prepare for the last push to the Idol crown. If the worst is true–that Daddy has been harassing the contestants–he should have been kicked to the curb weeks ago, not the last two weeks of the competition. It’s going to be an interesting week.

Syesha update

ETA: Update on Syesha Mercado. Her personal choice is “Fever” by Peggy Lee. No screaming or extraneous runs required! And I hope she doesn’t add any. This could go really well for her. Her producer’s choice is “Hit Me Up” by Gia Farrell, from the Happy Feet soundtrack. This is Syesha’s chance to prove that she’s got the potential to be a viable commercial artist. Can she do it? We’ll see…

last spoilers from mjsbigblog :yawn:

Here is the performance order for tonight:

1. David Archuleta
2. Syesha Mercado
3. David Cook

I’ll have a more detailed performance order when Caffiend comes back from rehearsal!

Song choices:

David Cook

Simon Cowell chose: “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” by Roberta Flack
David chose: "Dare You to Move” by Switchfoot {updated}
The producers chose: “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith.

Syesha Mercado

Randy Jackson chose: “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys
Syesha Chose: “Fever” by Peggy Lee
The producers chose: “Hit Me Up” by Gia Farrell

David Archuleta

Paula Abdul chose: “And So It Goes” by Billy Joel
David chose: “With You” by Chris Brown
The producers chose: “Longer” by Dan Fogelberg

Back
Top Bottom