American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That guy was ultra-creepy.

Here's my theory, and why I don't feel too bad for many of these auditioners: This show has been on for 6 seasons now. People know what the deal is.

Now, granted - there are people who are a little unrealistic about the limits of their talent (i.e., karaoke girl with model hubby). I would imagine there are a few people who may actually be a bit mentally ill/unbalanced/what-have-you.

But I would guess the vast majority of those set up to look ridiculous are fully aware of what they're putting themselves into. I think a lot of them are putting on an act and have a great poker face.

I'm torn about Mr. Vocal Warm Up Bon Jovi - I'd like to think he's in on the joke and has a great poker face. But then I wonder - are there people who are actually THAT delusional about their singing ability? And who have no friends or family who care enough for some brutal honesty and to save them from becoming a national laughingstock?

I tend to lean to the side that thinks it's a total put-on. Maybe it's just me. But these folks all are aware of American Idol - I would put money on a bet that says no one who is auditioning isn't aware of what the show is.

So I don't feel too bad about watching a show that puts these people on TV for us to laugh at.

On the flip side, you have those who just make you feel sad, like Temptress. I think she was for real, and I think the judges did, too. If they thought she was putting them on, they wouldn't have been so nice to her, I think.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

I'm torn about Mr. Vocal Warm Up Bon Jovi - I'd like to think he's in on the joke and has a great poker face. But then I wonder - are there people who are actually THAT delusional about their singing ability? And who have no friends or family who care enough for some brutal honesty and to save them from becoming a national laughingstock?

he read the book

TheSecretLogo.jpg

I have to say that I am very underwhelmed by all the people that are going to Hollywood so far. Sure, it's nice that Simon is being nicer this year, but it seems like he's just putting people through for the hell of it... i.e. that blonde girl that was in the accident. She was awful. The Bruce Daddy guy was better than her and he didn't make it.

I really hope they've put through some better singers and we just haven't seen it, because this season is shaping up to be worse than the last one.

That said, i really did enjoy Reynaldo ending the show! Hubby and I were singing "IIIII am your Brooooooottthhherrrr...." for hours last night! Couldn't get it out of our heads. :lol:

ultravioletluvv said:
but it seems like he's just putting people through for the hell of it... i.e. that blonde girl that was in the accident.

I think there are always a few that you know don't have a chance in hell of getting past the first round in Hollywood, but I agree with you about the happy blonde girl. She was pretty bad.

http://ryan.kiisfm.com/pages/paulaabdul.html

A gathering of American Idol regulars took place on Ryan Seacrest's KIIS-FM radio show Friday – with one major omission, though he did briefly speak over the phone from England.

Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson were there for the world premiere of Abdul's new single "Dance Like There's No Tomorrow," which will appear on the upcoming album, Randy Jackson’s Music Club, Vol. 1

Seacrest called it "an historical moment," while Jackson said of the debut, "This is a big moment, dude."

Before unveiling the bouncy number – which listeners called in to say they couldn't wait to dance to – Seacrest played bits of some of Abdul's old songs from the '80s and '90s.

"These used to make me melt," he said, explaining that he heard them when he was with his girlfriend in high school.

Seacrest also joked that Abdul's new song "was inspired by the love these two [Abdul and Jackson] have for each other." He later said that while the song was playing on the air, Abdul walked over in the studio and gave Jackson a hug and then held the embrace for a long time.

"It just seemed the right time," Abdul said of creating the new record, given that her last single was released in 1993. "The timing just came together."

Also on Grammy-winning producer Jackson's album, which will be released March 11, will be Mariah Carey, Joss Stone, Travis Tritt, Richie Sambora, Idol contestants Katharine McPhee and Elliot Yamin.

OMG I caught clips of some of the contestants on Kimmel last night and laughed so hard I nearly pissed myself. I am so glad I don't waste time watching this show! Ugh! :rolleyes:

Yeah ... because laughing that hard is a bad thing? Heaven forbid you watch something because it makes you laugh.

:bump:

What did everyone think about tonight? I was quite impressed with a lot of the talent. I absolutely loved the guy (who's name I'm blanking on) that sang the Otis Redding song and was originally from Australia. His voice was incredibly soulful, and he was hot.:combust:

The first singer:

Simon: "I don't think you're as good as you think you are."

SIMON, I :heart: YOU!!!!!

That's the exact attitude I got from her, and every singer with a decent-to-good voice who comes in and throws in so many vocal twitches and forced stylings.

"The only resemblance that bears to Mariah Carey is if one of her CDs was left out in the sun for a year."

:lol: hahahahaha

American Idol-San Diego

Rumor has it that San Diego had the best audition city this AI season. Well, that remains to be seen. What San Diego does seem to have is sunny skies and warm weather, a welcome respite from the bitter cold we’re having in Milwaukee.

When I first see Tatiana, I think she’s just another blonde country-bot. We’ve had plenty of those so far. Tatiana sings “Someone to Watch Over Me.” Hmm, not bad. She has a bluesy tone I like. However, Simon whines that Tatiana isn’t as good as she thinks she is. Thankfully, Randy and Paula like her and Tatiana is going to Hollywood.

Single dad Perry is next, and he brings his son Avian to the audition. Am I the only one who thought Avian was a girl at first? Perry sings the Boys II Men song, “I’ll Make Love to You.” Not bad, but I’m not blown away. However, Perry has a pop voice the judges like and he’s getting a golden ticket.

Michael comes from down under. He sings “I’ve Been Loving You too Long.” He has a good voice, but seems a bit too affected. Like he’s trying too hard to be angst-ridden and tormented. The judges claim this as soulful. He’s going to Hollywood. And though I wasn’t too enthused, Michael is very good looking, and the more eye candy the better.

Next we get a montage of more bad Idol auditions. What would AI be without bad auditions? Probably about 15 minutes long.

Valerie is a huge Mariah Carey fan and has been told she sounds like her. Valerie sings “Against All Odds” and isn’t so much Mariah Carey and Mariah Scary. Her singing isn’t so much against all odds as much as against all ears.

Did I just see Speedy Gonzales and a mime?

Monique Gibson and Christopher Baker are true buds who just know they are destined for Idol Stardom. But first they have to get past the trio of judgment. Monique sings “I Believe in Miracles.” It would be a miracle if she could get on pitch. Monique’s buddy Christopher sings “Greatest Love of All.” Yes, I too, believe children are the future, but Christopher has no future on American Idol.

Samantha thinks Simon is hot. Ooh, Samantha and Simon 4-evah!! Samantha’s sister gives Simon a note via air-mail. Other than Simon, Samantha’s sister also wants to meet Oprah and Obama. Hmm, Simon, Oprah, and Obama. One of these things isn’t like the others. Samantha sings “Til You Get Back to Me” and she sounds really good and has decent performance skills. She gets four yeses (including one from sis) and is going to Hollywood.

Blake has auditioned for Idol 10 times before. You may remember that he dressed up as the Statue of Liberty back in season 5. Blake brings along his very enabling, I mean, supportive mom, Leslie. Blake sings “Stand By Me.” Nope, he’s not going through. Well, there is always next season. And I’m sure mom’s basement is waiting for him.

Alberto Hulberto spews a bunch of new age BS and waves a fan. He tells us he gets lost in his imagination. I just wish he’d get lost. Alberto has some really long nails that would make last week’s nail peels collector positively drool. Alberto sings an original composition named “Live.” “Live” is DOA, but maybe it would be a hit song on Alberto’s home planet.

Aaron sings something that goes, “Leave Me Alone.” Yes, leave me alone.

16-year-old David suffered from a horrific vocal chord paralysis. Will he be able to sing? David sings “Waiting on the World to Change.” He has a good voice and shows promise. Then again, didn’t we think the same thing about Sanjaya last year? David is going to Hollywood.

Originally from Ireland, Carly auditioned for AI in season 5 but couldn’t go to Hollywood because her visa didn’t come through. She was devastated but is now determined to make her Idol dreams come true. She and her hubby work in a tattoo parlor. Hubby has a face completely tattooed that won’t look so good once the wrinkles and sagginess sets in. Anyway, Carly sings “I’m Every Woman.” This time out, Simon is not impressed. However, the luck of the Irish is with Carly and this time she is going to Hollywood.

In the end, 30 people in San Diego got the golden ticket. And I’m thinking Alberto would make a great couple with last week’s Alexis. Those two would balance each other out. South Carolina is the next audition spot, and according to the snippets we see I don’t think the south will rise again.

You weren't the only one who thought that kid was a girl when he came running into the audition room.

Carly's got an interesting background. Apparently she previously had a recording contract, but sold, like, 15 copies of her album or something like that.

From what I've heard leading up to the finals, there seems to be a trend of the show taking on singers who have had some sort of professional background.

Which isn't too shocking - Taylor Hicks had released his own CD before the show, but it looks like it may be more of a trend this year, and I read the producers are saying they're kind of tapped out on undiscovered talent, so they think it's fine to take people who have had been given shots in the major leagues before, and failed.

I don't really see a problem with it. I think the rule is that they can't currently be under contract.

American Idol-Charleston, South Carolina Auditions

The Idol auditions are being held in beautiful and historical Charleston, South Carolina. Charleston is considered the friendliest city in America. But will the judges be friendly to the auditioners?

Rashard Henderson is unemployed (yea, that’s a good thing to tell people) and he sports a huge afro. He tells us that he sings like Clay Aiken. Rashard sings “I Can’t Make You Love Me.” Nope, Rashard, you can’t me love you. Rashard is not going to Hollywood.

Like season 5’s Kellie Pickler, DeAnna is from Albermarle and works as a waitress. DeAnna should realize that ripping on your customers while on TV is not exactly very smart. Her dollar tips will soon be no tips. DeAnna makes Kellie Pickler look like a Rhodes Scholar. DeAnna sings “Fancy.” She’s loud and theatrical, but doesn’t get any love from the judges.

Crystal Ortiz and Randy Stark met on the Idol message boards. They sing “She’s More.” More what? More tone deaf? More pitchy? More inane? Crystal and Randy don’t get a golden ticket, but isn’t their true love golden enough?

Another team auditions, sister and brother act, Michelle and Jeffrey Lampkin. Due to their over the top theatrics, I expect them to totally suck. Michelle and Jeffrey sing “I’m Your Angel,” which is kind of creepy because their siblings. But they have good voices, with Jeffrey sounding a bit better. Both are going to Hollywood.

Next we are treated to a montage of bad singers butchering Saint Carrie Underwood of Idol’s song “Before He Cheats.” This does not help my migraine headache.

Mary Catherine Gallagher, oops, I mean Amy Katherine Flynn is on her school’s dance team and lectures about abstaining from pre-marital sex. She’s also very smug. The judges ask her to give a speech on abstinence, which makes me want to do the mattress mambo with Simon just to tick her off. Amy Katherine sings “Reflections.” Simon is right. The song is too big for her, and yes, people will find her annoying. Yet, Amy Catherine is on her way to Sodom and Gomorrah, oops, I mean Hollywood.

London Weidberg had to take a break from music to look after her ailing father. She sings “Good Morning Heartache.” Hmm, she has a warm, husky tone to her voice that I like. London is going to Hollywood.

Lindsay Goodman is an air force pilot who flies C-17s. She sings “Black Velvet.” She sounds good, but she needs stronger performance skills. You can feel her nerves. However, she’s taking off with a golden ticket.

Aretha “Big Guns” Codner tells us she’s as good as the Idol winners, and like some of the Idol winners, Aretha doesn’t have a recording contract either. She sings “I Have Nothing” and yes, she does have nothing. Aretha can’t quite accept the rejection from the judges. Her delusion is just a big as her...silver belt.

Joshua “The Judges Suck” Boson ruins “And I am Telling You.” Jennifer Hudson should smack him upside the head with her Oscar.

Throughout the show we’ve seen Oliver Highman. Before his audition, his lovely wife went into labor and gave birth to their baby girl. Emma Grace makes her appearance in time for her daddy to make his audition. Oliver sings “Get Here” and his voice all over the place. He’s just too corny and affected. Oliver is not going to Hollywood, but he has the ultimate golden ticket with his new daughter.

And on that sickenly sweet note, I promise to bring back the snark next week when Idol holds auditions in Omaha, Nebraska.

I thought the Air Force pilot got all nos, did they change their minds? I am finding it difficult to sit through the whole show.

I love the "mattress mambo with Simon", that's a riot

MrsSpringsteen said:
I thought the Air Force pilot got all nos, did they change their minds? I am finding it difficult to sit through the whole show.

I love the "mattress mambo with Simon", that's a riot
I think you're right; the Air Force pilot didn't get a golden ticket. I think my migraine last night made me a bit demented.

I thought the Air Force pilot was decent enough. I felt bad that they didn't put her through.

Bonochick said:
I thought the Air Force pilot was decent enough. I felt bad that they didn't put her through.
Yea, I liked her too. Her performance skills were kind of weak, but that can be worked on.

Is anyone looking forward to Smug as Shit Abstinence Chick crashing and burning?

Golightly Grrl - great writeup, but I didn't see any mention of the Irish girl who apparently got the golden ticket in years' past but couldn't go on because she didn't get her visa in time. :)

namkcuR said:
Golightly Grrl - great writeup, but I didn't see any mention of the Irish girl who apparently got the golden ticket in years' past but couldn't go on because she didn't get her visa in time. :)
It's in my San Diego recap a few pages back.

we had the first 2 shows last night and the night before... so San Diego and South Carolina are on wednesday and thursday for me

if only they'd do the same thing (subtitle) as fast for LOST :drool:

Golightly Grrl said:
Is anyone looking forward to Smug as Shit Abstinence Chick crashing and burning?

Yes. :drool:

Or she can hook up with the boy whose virginal heart belongs to daddy. Did he make it through?

Tonight was good. There were a lot of good singers. Well done, Omaha.

And that Jason kid...sweet fancy Moses he was HOT:combust: :combust: , and he could sing; once he actually remembered the lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom