American Idol 6 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cruzila said:

Agreed. Oh and btw... thanks for changing your sig!!! :wink:

:lol:

Sanjaya should just quit instead of putting up with Simon's insults. The kid is not very good compared to some of the competition but it doesn't mean he can be made fun of on national television week after week, that too by one of the judges! :down:

Only 3 or 4 are good anyway. Sanjaya shouldn't be singled out.
Getting ready to vote for him now :wink: .

Random Tony Bennett story:

My mother was head nurse of a labor and delivery unit at a hospital in New York in the late sixties. Tony Bennett's girlfriend (he was married to someone else at the time) gave birth there and Tony Bennett bought a box of candy for the nurses ("to share with all three shifts" - mom notes bitterly ;) ). And she got to see him without his toupee.

You know, I just don't feel like watching tonight. Partly because I don't want to see them sing Tony Bennett songs (or Tony Bennett-ish songs), and partly because I'd just rather watch the Mariners vs. A's.

Zootlesque said:

:lol:

Sanjaya should just quit instead of putting up with Simon's insults. The kid is not very good compared to some of the competition but it doesn't mean he can be made fun of on national television week after week, that too by one of the judges! :down:

Simon is really at a loss for words, Sanjaya has to know he is becoming a joke. He's just in it now to see how far he can take it. :huh:

I'm waiting for Simon to just say "no comment" when it's turn to judge Sanjaya's performance.

And then the next week he should say, "Whatever" in that wonderful accent.

AI Recaps-April 3rd
The Top Nine Perform

On Tuesday night the ubiquitous Tony Bennet comes to AI to guide the contestants through the American classics. He meets the gang wearing a gold blazer. So nice he was able to get time off of his Realtor job with Century 21 to help out.

Though American Idol is trying to find a modern pop singer, I happen to like when the contestants sing the standards. These songs have survived decades for a reason. They are good! And I think it’s best to sing them straight, no gimmicks. That means, as much as I like Blake, he needs to leave the beat boxing out of it. And I’m glad Chris Sligh is not around to add an oh-so-alternative emo spin to “Fly Me to the Moon.”

Blake (Mack the Knife)-Speaking of the beat box master, Blake sings this Bobby Darin classic. Blake has always had a jazzy vibe, and this song suited both his vocals and his personality. He had a lot of energy and I liked how he played to the camera. However, I wish he would have played a bit to the audience, too. Despite some pitch problems, Blake starts off the show in a good way. And I like the scatting at the end. Somewhere, Leslie Hunt sits in a Chicago apartment saying, “Oh, now scatting is okay, hmm?”

Phil (Night and Day)-Phil begins this song and it’s a total dirge. It just drags on. I feel like we can crown next year’s AI winner by the time Phil finishes this song. Phil has a very unpleasant lower register. He sounds like a muppet. But he gathers steam along the way, and sounds so much better when he belts. However, he had no connection with the lyrics. And what does Paula (wearing a jacket from her part-time job as an ice cream truck driver) mean by calling Phil another Frank Sinatra? Oh, she means the Frank Sinatra that served her a latte at the local Starbucks, that Frank Sinatra.

Melinda (I’ve Got Rhythm)-Finally, Melinda gets out of the dowdy grandma wear and wears something low cut. And she sings!!! I liked how she varied the tempo of the song. The beginning began slowly then built into something more uptempo. And I loved the bump and grind vibe at the end. Work it, Melinda! Plus, she interprets the lyrics wonderfully because she is one smart woman. Sometimes I think she’s too good for the show. And thought it’s great to be humble, I wish Melinda would own her talent and her success. Confidence and pride doesn’t necessarily make a nasty diva witch.

Chris R (I Don’t Get Around Much Anymore)-Chris R, who seems to be one the chosen ones this year, gets the silhouette of pimpage. I’ve been pretty hard on Chris for the past few weeks. I’m not a fan of his nasally voice. But I think he did a decent job with the song and the performance. This is a good song choice for his range. I actually think he gave this song a very modern spin. This was one of his better performances.

Jordin (On a Clear Day)-This sounded a bit weak in the beginning, but got better and better as Jordin went on. She has a beautiful voice. I keep forgetting she’s only seventeen. She has a lot of youthful exuberance, but shows a lot of performance skills that that show a great deal of maturity. Plus, I like how she embraces the various themes and works with them without being a snot about doing something new.

Gina (Smile)-First off. Her hair. WTF? Is the homegirl braids combined with old lady back combing big with the Hot Topic crowd? It almost distracted me from her performance. I thought this was a very tender and controlled performance from Gina. I worried she might want to give a rocker bent to this song, but Gina gave it a plaintive quality it requires. Though this song is called “Smile,” the lyrics are quite pensive. Kat McPhee would have never figured that out and would have smiled a Miss America smile throughout.

Sanjaya (Cheek to Cheek)-I can’t get over the skeevy slicked back hair and Saturday Night Fever white suit to comment of Sanjaya’s performance. I just keep in mind that within five years, Sanjaya will be the answer to a Trivial Pursuit question. But so nice of him to dance with Paula like he’s dancing with his mom at his best friend’s bar mitzvah.

Haley (Ain’t Misbehavin)-Yes, this performance was a bit pageanty, but that’s Haley. She’s never going to have an ‘edge.’ However, I thought she did a pretty good job, and was both flirty and fun. Yep, she's this year's Kat McPhee but without the snottiness. She’s starting to get more comfortable on stage and she sounded pretty good. I think American standards is the perfect genre for her. Punk night, not so much.

Lakisha (Stormy Weather)-Lakisha sounded fabulous as usual, but I wish she would have gone a bit more vulnerable in her interpretation of this song. With the diva belting she’s getting kind of tiring. She’s really locking herself into a limited box, and she has far too much talent to get ignored for lesser talents. I really want her to get out of her comfort zone and surprise us.

Well, this week’s theme was miles more entertaining that last week’s theme of “Gwen Stefani’s iPod.” I enjoyed many of the performances especially Blake’s and Melinda’s. And I was surprised how much I like Chris R this week. Phil stumbled a bit, and I’m wishing LaKisha would grow as a performer and broaden a bit. As for Sanjaya, the less said the better.

So nice he was able to get time off of his Realtor job with Century 21 to help out.

And what does Paula (wearing a jacket from her part-time job as an ice cream truck driver) mean by calling Phil another Frank Sinatra? Oh, she means the Frank Sinatra that served her a latte at the local Starbucks, that Frank Sinatra.

:lmao:

Tony Bennett was just being nice to Sanjaya because he's old enough to be his great grandfather.When he danced with Paula it really creeped me out, it was just so WRONG.

I thought it was a riot when he had to explain Ain't Misbehavin to Haley, she was savin her love for way too many people! And yes now we see her breasts too.

Did Sanjaya really think that Simon was complimenting him? :huh: Here are my brief thoughts:

Blake - I still adore him. I also adore that song, and he did a great job with it.

Phil - Okay...that performance was just creepy. There was NOTHING romantic about it.

Melinda - She looked cute and gave a great performance. Loved the song!

Chris - I don't know...it almost seems to me like he tries too hard to be cool. His image and performance comes off as being forced to me.

Jordin - Pretty nice. I don't think I've been paying enough attention to her.

Gina - I think I'd almost rather see her go home than Sanjaya...

Sanjaya - ....but maybe not.

Haley - I actually liked it.

Lakisha - This started off kinda rough. I was worried, but holy man, did she get it together! :love: Another song I adore.

I like Jordin. She's a great singer. I like Blake too.

Sanjaya actually didnt want to make me stab myself in the ear this time, but he still sucks.

Haley just doesnt do squat for me. She needs to go :yawn:

The judges are being incredible pricks about Sanjaya at this point, especially Simon & Randy (of course). If Simon was half as clever as he fancies himself he'd realize that insulting Sanjaya will just earn him more votes, and more weeks on AI. While I agree he pretty much sucks (though honestly I think he's gotten marginally better in the past few weeks), there's no real standouts this year anyway...except for LaKisha & Melinda, and AI being AI I doubt either of them wins. It will probably be Jordin (this year's McPhee/DiGarmo) or the irritating Blake or Chris...and given those choices I'd almost rather see Sanjaya win. AI loves to glorify the outrageously bad singers (William Hung etc), it will be pretty funny if it comes back to bite them with a Sanjaya win.

OK enough ranting...I thought most of the performers were pretty good tonight. Jordin really can sing, and Gina is coming on strong...but too bad for her, she's nowhere near the singer Jordin is. Even the guys were pretty good. My guess is the forgettable Haley takes the long walk tonight...

TMZ has spoken with intensely connected sources in the recording industry about the Sanjaya craze, and it's turned the music biz on its ear.

We're told execs at Sony BMG (its 19 Recordings/RCA division records the winner of "Idol") are "really nervous." They now think Sanjaya could win the competition and worry that he's like the new Pet Rock -- the novelty will wear off and his records won't sell.

On the other side of things, we're told a number of songwriters in H-Wood are already quietly writing songs for one person and one person only in the competition -- yes, Sanjaya. As you read this story, musical notes are going up on pages all over the city -- notes Sanjaya probably can't hit.

MrsSpringsteen said:
They now think Sanjaya could win the competition and worry that he's like the new Pet Rock -- the novelty will wear off and his records won't sell.

*coughTaylorHickscough*

I hope Haley goes tonight. She's been squeaking through by the skin of her nose for way too many weeks now.

I think it's either Haley or Phil.

Bye bye Haley... She tried to blind us with her cleavage but its just not enough to drown out the screeching noises - even with the mute button on!

Simon had me laughing with his comment, "nice legs"!

Back
Top Bottom