American Idol 6 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When she came on stage to perform, I already had a tear in my eye. It hit me why that song moves me. It's the song that Jerry Lewis sings at the end of the Musculur Dystrophy Telethon every year. Always makes me cry :sad:

It's funny you should say that because that song always make me cry too...

We (me and mini fahs) were watching Jordan sing and the middle mini fah asked me why I was crying and I couldn't explain it.

I thought it was a great show. I loved how everyone was wearing thier ONE bracelets. It will be interesting to see if there is a significant increase in ONE memebers after tomorrow night. I bet that will happen. Yea!

Anyway, I have not voted all season so I thought what they hey, I'll try, get them to that 50 million. I decided to vote for blake since he did a good job with Imagine and may need some extra votes this week. I tried both numbers at 9:50 and at 10:30 and could not get through....then I gave up. I'm guessing the 50 million votes will probably come through!

I really thought the contestants upped their game last night and the clips with Simon and the gang were really heartfelt and touching.

Looking forward to tonight. I hope they raise tons and tons of moola.

That was the first time I actually liked Chris. Didn't like Blake all that much (especially when he tried to hit that note and cracked :wink:), and why did LaKisha pick that song? :banghead:

I voted for the first time all season because of the donation. I voted about five times each for Jordin, Melinda, and Phil :shifty: I think he's getting better

I don't like it when contestants sing songs by past Idol winners, and LaKisha has done that two weeks in a row now...plus, she wasn't very good at either of them. I will say that this week was much better than last week though.

Blake's performance was nice, but there was something about his stage presence that was driving me crazy. :huh: Can't really explain it though. :shrug: That's all his performance was though..."nice". Good song choice in regards to the theme, not a good song choice in regard to showing off vocal talent.

Jordin was the best of the night, Melinda right behind her, and I would like to see either Chris or Phil go home.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
If there were a lot of Liverpool FC fans watching Jordin perform last night, she would have won their support. I voted for her last night. Blake or LaKisha should go home tonight.

HAHAHA! I was thinking the same thing! by the way! love the avatar, i'm from florence! :wink:

I agree as well Sicy.

Bonochick said:
I don't like it when contestants sing songs by past Idol winners, and LaKisha has done that two weeks in a row now...plus, she wasn't very good at either of them.

:yes:

Jordin should win it all.

Eh, I'm so uninspired by all of them. Everyone was good last night, some better than others, but there's just no one really exciting. Some good singers, but forgettable, all of them. :shrug:

AI Recaps-April 24th
The Top 6 Perform

On the eve of the “Idol Gives Back” extravaganza, our Idol contestants sing songs of Hallmark card sentiments like inspiration, hope, and compassion. Will Blake give Elvis Costello’s “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding” the beat box treatment? Will Lakisha diva shout her way through Whitney Houston’s “One Moment in Time?” Will Chris nasal up U2’s “Walk On?” And will tears spring to our eyes or will we cringe from all of the cheese? Just be grateful Sanjaya isn’t around to simper and whimper his way through “Climb Every Mountain” while wearing a nun’s wimple.

Chris (Change the World)-The chosen one gets the solo guitarist of pimpage and an inexplicable tongue bath from the judges. I thought he sounded weak, wimpy-a very insincere vocal. I just didn’t buy his performance. Before Chris changes the world, he might want to change his nasally singing. Plus, he’s such a Justin Timberlake wannabe, which might be the reason why he got the judges’ praise. The Idol machine probably wants to play it very safe and go with the tried and true rather than support something new.

Melinda (There Will Come a Day)-If anyone can make me like a treacly Faith Hill song it’s Mindy Do. Her vocals were tremendous, and she injected this song with a lot of soul. She really gave this song a strong gospel feeling. It was heartfelt and she made it her own. On a shallow note, I wish the stylists would put her in some jewel tones. That gray schmatte just washed her out.

Blake (Imagine)-This is one of my favorite songs, and I’m so glad Blake sang this song straight, and didn’t give it a lot of unnecessary runs and melisma. And he also sang this song very sincerely. But still something was missing. It kind of left me cold. Then again, nothing could ever approach the original. And Blake has a lot of guts to sing this iconic John Lennon song. I’ll give him that much credit.

LaKisha (I Believe)-I believe that KiKi is not progressing, and it’s probably not a good idea to sing yet another song by an Idol winner. Fantasia is so unique that KiKi can’t help but get compared to her unfavorably. Plus I didn’t get an inkling that KiKi connected with the song. She seemed to be doing things by rote. “I’ll move my hand this way...I’ll shake my head like this...” I think she has a beautiful voice, but I can’t get to excited by her anymore. I wonder if she’ll survive.

Phil (The Change)-Last week Phil proved country music is definitely his genre, so it’s a good choice to go with a Garth Brooks’ song. This song really started out like a total dirge. But Phil gained steam at the end when he was able to showcase his belting skills. Phil usually bores me, and I kind of find him creepy, but I can see him cracking the country market. But I wouldn’t exactly be beating down the doors to buy his CD.

Jordin (You’ll Never Walk Alone)-This was an amazing way to close the show. Jordin sounded beautiful and had a good connection with the lyrics. This song could have been a bucket of saccharine but Jordin made it very fresh. I got a little misty-eyed, as did Jordin. So cute of Ryan to hand over his $80 tie to let Jordin dry her tears. And though Melinda is very close to my heart but I think Jordin might be better off winning American Idol. She’s younger and more malleable, and is probably a better fit for the youth market Idol is going for.

By the end of the show, I realized I was more interested in the projects “Idol Gives Back” is involved in much more than the actual performances. It’s very easy to be skeptical about all of this charitable giving considering AI is one of the most manipulative cheesefests around, but I know a lot of people who are involved in these issues both in the US and in Africa. And they are doing very important work. Wednesday’s show should be very interesting with Ellen DeGeneres sharing hosting duties with Ryan. And guests like Celine Dion, Josh Groban, Pink, Gwen Stefani, and Original Recipe Idol, Kelly Clarkson will join show. My personal favorite, Bono, will also be making an appearance. I’ve been a huge U2 fan for many years, and I really admire Bono’s work on behalf of Africa. So if you hear a bunch of squealing and cheering coming from Milwaukee’s east side when Bono walks on the Idol stage, that will be me.

Ok, so rumor is that the big duet is gonna be Celine Dion and Elvis? This should be interesting. :huh:

It sounds like Bono's segment is pre-recorded, and he works with the kids on the song he co-wrote.

As for the vote, i think Chris Timberlake will be saying "bye bye bye" tonight!

Golightly Grrl said:
AI Recaps-April 24th
The Top 6 Perform

On the eve of the “Idol Gives Back” extravaganza, our Idol contestants sing songs of Hallmark card sentiments like inspiration, hope, and compassion. Will Blake give Elvis Costello’s “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding” the beat box treatment? Will Lakisha diva shout her way through Whitney Houston’s “One Moment in Time?” Will Chris nasal up U2’s “Walk On?” And will tears spring to our eyes or will we cringe from all of the cheese? Just be grateful Sanjaya isn’t around to simper and whimper his way through “Climb Every Mountain” while wearing a nun’s wimple.

Chris (Change the World)-The chosen one gets the solo guitarist of pimpage and an inexplicable tongue bath from the judges. I thought he sounded weak, wimpy-a very insincere vocal. I just didn’t buy his performance. Before Chris changes the world, he might want to change his nasally singing. Plus, he’s such a Justin Timberlake wannabe, which might be the reason why he got the judges’ praise. The Idol machine probably wants to play it very safe and go with the tried and true rather than support something new.

Melinda (There Will Come a Day)-If anyone can make me like a treacly Faith Hill song it’s Mindy Do. Her vocals were tremendous, and she injected this song with a lot of soul. She really gave this song a strong gospel feeling. It was heartfelt and she made it her own. On a shallow note, I wish the stylists would put her in some jewel tones. That gray schmatte just washed her out.

Blake (Imagine)-This is one of my favorite songs, and I’m so glad Blake sang this song straight, and didn’t give it a lot of unnecessary runs and melisma. And he also sang this song very sincerely. But still something was missing. It kind of left me cold. Then again, nothing could ever approach the original. And Blake has a lot of guts to sing this iconic John Lennon song. I’ll give him that much credit.

LaKisha (I Believe)-I believe that KiKi is not progressing, and it’s probably not a good idea to sing yet another song by an Idol winner. Fantasia is so unique that KiKi can’t help but get compared to her unfavorably. Plus I didn’t get an inkling that KiKi connected with the song. She seemed to be doing things by rote. “I’ll move my hand this way...I’ll shake my head like this...” I think she has a beautiful voice, but I can’t get to excited by her anymore. I wonder if she’ll survive.

Phil (The Change)-Last week Phil proved country music is definitely his genre, so it’s a good choice to go with a Garth Brooks’ song. This song really started out like a total dirge. But Phil gained steam at the end when he was able to showcase his belting skills. Phil usually bores me, and I kind of find him creepy, but I can see him cracking the country market. But I wouldn’t exactly be beating down the doors to buy his CD.

Jordin (You’ll Never Walk Alone)-This was an amazing way to close the show. Jordin sounded beautiful and had a good connection with the lyrics. This song could have been a bucket of saccharine but Jordin made it very fresh. I got a little misty-eyed, as did Jordin. So cute of Ryan to hand over his $80 tie to let Jordin dry her tears. And though Melinda is very close to my heart but I think Jordin might be better off winning American Idol. She’s younger and more malleable, and is probably a better fit for the youth market Idol is going for.

By the end of the show, I realized I was more interested in the projects “Idol Gives Back” is involved in much more than the actual performances. It’s very easy to be skeptical about all of this charitable giving considering AI is one of the most manipulative cheesefests around, but I know a lot of people who are involved in these issues both in the US and in Africa. And they are doing very important work. Wednesday’s show should be very interesting with Ellen DeGeneres sharing hosting duties with Ryan. And guests like Celine Dion, Josh Groban, Pink, Gwen Stefani, and Original Recipe Idol, Kelly Clarkson will join show. My personal favorite, Bono, will also be making an appearance. I’ve been a huge U2 fan for many years, and I really admire Bono’s work on behalf of Africa. So if you hear a bunch of squealing and cheering coming from Milwaukee’s east side when Bono walks on the Idol stage, that will be me.

Great review as always!! :wink:

One thing tho, Bono won't be walking onstage tonite. His bit is only the prerecorded chat with the contestants. I would love to see him live but everything that I have read gave no indication of this.. ( I am on alot of U2 mail groups, ONE, Make Poverty History mail groups as well) I think the big duet won't be him but someone else.. (i.e Madonna, Annie Lennox, Celine and others..)

Never say never I guess.. *crosses fingers*

grey schmatte :lmao: :up:

Next weeks info:
This is from FOX:

"Tonight the Top 5 finalists will perform rock songs LIVE for the nation, vying for the AMERICAN IDOL crown. Legendary rock band Bon Jovi mentors the contestants before they sing their hearts out in hopes of winning America’s vote and surviving another week in the competition. Tune in to see who impresses the judges and who buckles under the pressure when “5 Finalists Compete” Tuesday, May 1

Also, according to Nigel (producer) who called into Ryan's morning radio show:

That at 10 pm last night, they broke the guiness record for most votes ever on a show.. this was previously set during the Fantasia finale with 65 million votes. They broke that at 10 pm last night. He said he knew the final vote counts at 2 am last night.

He also revealed: [SPOILERS]

Madonna will be there.
Annie Lenox performs Bridge over troubled water.
2 stages.
Kelly Clarkson singing with that guitar player.
Contestants singing Bono's "American Prayer"
A world idol performs (which we know is Celine)

also on the AI boards ... The guitar player listed above for Kelly Clarkson is rumored to be Jeff Beck

My parents are visiting, and my mom and I had fun voting (neither of us typically vote on this show). I threw 3 votes each for Jordin and Blake, and my mom voted 3 times each for Jordin and Melinda.

Good times. :up:

"Just be grateful Sanjaya isn’t around to simper and whimper his way through “Climb Every Mountain” while wearing a nun’s wimple."

I always love your recaps, but this is the funniest thing yet. Thanks for the great laugh - I needed it today.

There's already rumors on who is leaving. And apparently it's not always about the amount of votes :ohmy:

Apparently there were 80 million votes last night.

There was one montage ready to go for someone they thought was leaving, and the other person who may be leaving only had his/her montage in the basic stages. So they may need to put the finishing touches on his/her goodbye montage.

PM for details :shh:

Back
Top Bottom