American Idol 6 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zootlesque said:
I don't know. I think the judges are being too harsh on Sanjaya now. Hasn't he heard enough from them yet? If America is voting for him, he must be doing something right. Don't put him on stage week after week and then humiliate him every single time in front of the camera. Granted, the judges have no say in who gets thru to the next round.... or so everyone "believes".

HELL NO HE IS TERRIBLE!!! Either he is getting a serious pity vote or the tween population of the world thinks he is hot which I just don't get. He is awful.

ljclary said:
HELL NO HE IS TERRIBLE!!! Either he is getting a serious pity vote or the tween population of the world thinks he is hot which I just don't get. He is awful.

I'm not crazy about his singing or look/hair either! All I'm saying is that if America thought him to be good enough for that stage, don't keep putting him down every single week. The judges keep pounding on him and in the meantime he gets thru to the next round. It's ridiculous. lol.

Zootlesque said:

I'm not crazy about his singing or look/hair either! All I'm saying is that if America thought him to be good enough for that stage, don't keep putting him down every single week. The judges keep pounding on him and in the meantime he gets thru to the next round. It's ridiculous. lol.

Also remember there are people out there that are calling in and voting for the worst people on purpose just because it's funny.

I personally think he should have left a long time ago. But what Simon said was a bit too much.

Well, I guess I'm sucked in for this season. There's nothing else to watch, so here is my take on what happened tonight, and in no particular order.....

Gina - just OK. She might last a month or so, but then she's outta here!

Haley - a little bit better than Gina. I agreed more to what Randy said about her. I think Simon likes this girl too much and lets her slide. I thought Simon should have been more tough with her.

Blake - interesting rendition. Thought his vocals were a bit weak. I thought Justin Timberlake would have done a lot better job with the singing than he did.

Brandon - very weak. It was like he was at a high school performance. He's not going to make it very long.

Jordin - good singer. I thought it was a weird song for her voice. I think she'll end up being 3rd or 4th place when this is all over with.

Lakisha - excellent job. I was hoping for a bust out performance, but she admitted she held back. Oh well, it was a quiet song.

Chris Richardson - very weak. Too much vibrato in the long notes. It really sounded like he was extremely nervous. Anyway, I also thought he gave a high school performance. He'll be gone soon as well.

Chris Sligh - good singer, but I thought the rendition was a bit weird. He needs to sing higher and lower. He's playing it too safe.

Melinda - awesome!

Stephanie - good job. Her stage presence doesn't compare to Lakisha or Melinda, but I think she'll end up either 3rd or 4th at the end of the season.

Phil - just OK. This job seems too big for him. Besides he's missing the most precious time of his life with his newborn, and I'm sure that's on his brain. It sounds like he needs to sing at weddings or something. Go home Phil and live your life!

Sanjaya - let's just say this boy, and I do mean boy, needs to go home. The only way this guy will get booted off is if everybody else votes a lot for the other folks. Otherwise the wise asses out there will keep him on stage so that they can laugh at home when Simon rips him another one. You know if Simon would shut his mouth, maybe the people won't keep him on to piss him off. DUH! The same thing happened with "Chicken Little" and it's happening all over again.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

I really only like Lakisha, Melinda and Jordin tonight.

:giggle:

I thought Chris Slighs' song sounded alot like Clocks as well.

Yea that Mario Vasquez thing is just... :yuck:

It wouldn't be idol season without idol contreversy I guess :wink:

Holy shit, you guys. I can only hope America will finally wise up and get rid of Sanjaya and his stupid Whitney Houston hair, and put me out of my misery.

And Melinda? If she gets voted out in an almost-inevitable, horrific, mid season upset, she'll be fine. In fact, I almost hope it happens, because she'll be safe from the Idol trap. She'll get signed in a heartbeat, and will get to work on a good album, and not some shitty American Idol Winner CD full of shitty songs*.

She's amazing, and too good for this show.

(* I'd like to say that I think Kelly Clarkson's first CD is exempt from this rule, as it was a decent album, and it sounds like actual thought and time went into the album.)

It's hard to say how much of an impact sites like that or internet campaigns have.

If they do have an impact, it's likely more in the early rounds, where there are more singers, and the votes are spread a lot more thin. Once it gets down to fewer singers, I don't think those kinds of things have any noticable impact.

Sanjaya? Ain't No Mountain High Enough.

But he cheated and did the Marvin Gaye/Tami Terrell version, not the Diana Ross solo version. :wink:

And he was wearing a frizzy poodle or something on his head.

He really, really wasn't good. At all.

You can hear he has a nice voice, but he has no business being even in the top 24.

I agree that his performances don't make him worth of top 12.

It's funny because I heard him sing on his very first audition right after his sister and I was blown away about how special his voice sounded.

Then I saw all three of his past performances and they were truly pathetic. They were just hideous. It was like he wasn't really using any power in his voice and I don't know what happened to that voice that was heard on the audition. :huh:

Here's his audition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eXNMRwykCQ

Last edited:
I had the same feelings about Sundance. His initial audition was amazing, and then it was a downhill slide of suckitude after that. I'm glad he got booted last week.

corianderstem said:
Sanjaya? Ain't No Mountain High Enough.

But he cheated and did the Marvin Gaye/Tami Terrell version, not the Diana Ross solo version. :wink:

And he was wearing a frizzy poodle or something on his head.

He really, really wasn't good. At all.

You can hear he has a nice voice, but he has no business being even in the top 24.

Sanjaya was truly horrible tonight, and we're not even gonna talk about the hair (who the heck is 'styling' him?). I love the song, but he started off so softly and just was pitchy and horrible and never took control of the song. Pretty much like all of his performances. He ruined it. He has no business being in the top 24, yet alone the top 12. He gets in and Sabrina gets booted last week? Pa-LEEZE!

Didn't care for Chris Sligh's re-arrangement of 'Endless Love' :der:
It sounded like Diana Ross didn't care for it either during their "meeting". And I prefer him with his glasses as well.

Felt bad that Hayley forgot some of her words, but still think she shouldn't be sent packing. Yet.

Blake's performance was quite interesting, and I kinda liked it. It was a modern take on it.

Jordin did very well. I thought Gina was alright. Melinda was very good, but Lakisha (Kiki) was the bomb tonight! :bow:

The guys are awful. AWFUL.

Even the few who can hit the notes lack the total package.

I'm bummed that it's so easy to spot the winners this year. Melinda, Lakisha, and Jordin. Maybe there will be a few surprises but the wow factor is not there for me in terms of a real competition. Melinda has the chops, Lakisha is a powerhouse, and Jordin in the wild card.

Interesting enough Dialidol.com has Sanjaya at third!! WHAT THE F#$%?!?!?! What I think is mroe funny is that he thinks he is good. (sorry he just really makes me mad!!) There is one every year!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

It sucks this season :(

I really like Jordin, I have since the beginning. But what is she, 17? Why did they have to make her over to look so much older?

Diana Ross seemed so nice, not like the diva bitch that so many people say she is. Maybe she knows how to act on camera :wink: Maybe she has mellowed quite a bit with age.

I like Jordin, but I hated that song so much, I didn't like her performance last night.

And I kind of liked Chris S's version of Endless Love.

Is it just me, or is Diana Ross looking amazing for her age? If she's had plastic surgery, she at least doesn't look like a complete freak. I mean, she still looks like Diana Ross!

AI Recaps-March 13th
The Top 12 Perform

Now things are getting interesting. After endless auditions, the cruelty known as Hollywood Week, and getting rid of some cannon fodder (okay, we still have cannon fodder), we are down to the top 12 singing talent in America. Okay, we have some talent, a dollop of so-so, and a few train wrecks.

Tonight the original diva Miss Diana Ross is here to guide our contestants through her catalog both her solo songs and her songs with the Supremes. I wonder if one of the contestants will accidentally call her Deena Jones?

Brandon (Can’t Hurry Love)-As a backup singer Brandon has been exposed to a lot of celebrities but no one like Miss Ross. Brandon sings this Motown classic and proves why he’s been a backup singer for so long. I’ve liked Brandon in the past but he was so tepid and anemic during his performance. His voice sounded like it was going out and he forgot the words. Sadly, I don’t think his hip wiggling will make up for such a charisma-free performance.

Melinda (Home)-Melinda tells us that she feels more comfortable in sweats and sneakers and the most uncomfortable thing about AI are the dresses and high heels she wears during her performances. This leads to some hoyay snark between Simon and Ryan. Oh geez guys. Must you divert attention from one of the most talented AI contestants ever with your love/hate relationship? Melinda sings this song form “The Wiz” so brilliantly I get goosebumps. Now we have a competition. Melinda’s phrasing and vocals are so beautifully wrought. She’s born to sing. Some people have called her a diva, but I like to call her a song stylist. Melinda can sing anything and is go to bring it every week no matter what the theme is.

Chris S (Endless Love)-Chris and Miss Ross compare curls, and Chris tries to change this song a bit, but still cheeses it up thinking adding a Coldplay sound will help. I think Chris has one of the best male voices, but he really seemed to be out of his comfort zone. The ending was better than the beginning. Something about Chris bugs me. It’s like he thinks he’s above this show and way too hip for a song like “Endless Love.” Chris needs to realize that even though he’s not a fan of a certain song or musical genres, he has to respect these songs and prove he can sing all kinds of music. I don’t want people to think he’s an insincere twit and vote him off before less talented contestants. Plus, he looks better in glasses.

Gina (Love Child)-Gina may be a rocker chick but she still shows her respect to Miss Ross. Though screechy in parts Gina brings a rocker grit to this classic song. I thought she sang this song with a lot of passion and I hope she survives. I like that she stands apart from the other female contestants. I’ve heard some people mention that she comes across as too entitled but I’ve never gotten that vibe. I like her. I hope she isn’t too forgettable.

Sanjaya (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough)-Miss Ross probably has wigs older than Sanjaya, and I think he’s wearing one of them. Are the powers that be trying to throw him under the bus by having him sing this “raise the roof” song? Not surprisingly, Sanjaya is completely out of his element both vocally and with his stage presence. Bringing back Chris DAUGHTRY! to Nickelback the heck out of this song might be welcome relief.

Haley (Missing You)-Haley admits that AI is the craziest place she’s ever sung. Haley’s performance is sadly lacking. She doesn’t have the right stuff to sing a song dedicated to the late Marvin Gaye. She needs to project (I could barely hear her), and she forgot some of the words. Plus, I could feel her nerves. The poor girl is a wreck! However, criticizing Haley is like kicking a puppy. She seems like the sweetest person around, yet I can’t see her staying. And despite what loopy Paula says, the audience is going to notice if you forget the words. We’re not stupid.

Phil (I’m Going to Make You Love Me)-Well, he didn’t make me love him, but I liked him more than in past weeks. He sounded better in the belty parts, but was irksome in the softer parts. But still I found him rather bland. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if he sticks around a bit longer. Maybe different themes will suit him better.

LaKisha (God Bless the Child)-Well, God bless Kiki. I was hoping LaKisha would sing this gospel-tinged song. It was the perfect song choice for LaKisha. She has excellent phrasing and her control is amazing. She was so at one with this song and looked gorgeous in her long silky gown. This was another star-making performance. I hope she goes very far.

Blake (You Keep Me Hangin’ On)-Blake brings a modern vibe to this 1960s’ classic. He shows strong showmanship skills with the dancing. He has a lot of joy for performing and his sense of fun in contagious. And he didn’t beat box, thank goodness. This song didn’t quite show off his strong vocals like in past weeks, and some people might be put off by him “Blake-izing” such a notable song, but I think he’ll “hang on” for a while.

Stephanie (Love Hangover)-Stephanie brought a sultry, sexy vibe to this song but really doesn’t stand out that much. I was put off by the arrangement. The uptempo didn’t quite get going. Plus she forgot the words. I wonder if another song like “Reflections” would have suited her more.

Chris R (The Boss)-Chris sings from the back of his nasal cavity. I thought it was God awful. K-Fed singing Diana Ross. Shudder. I think he’s a weak singer and he sounded like he was out of breath. Randy and Paula praise him to the high heavens and comment on his charm and personality. Um, what charm and personality? Only Simon seemed to make any sense in his critique.

Jordin (If We Hold On Together)-I think Jordin has a beautiful voice and she’s naturally gifted, but I prefer her past performances. I was bored with this song choice. Just because she’s 17 doesn’t mean she has to sing something so Disney-esque. Maybe she should have changed songs with our resident Disney princess Haley.

Tonight separated the woman from the boys. The ladies, for the most part, reigned supreme, and the guys were all over the place. If I had to vote for a guy under duress I guess I’d vote for Chris S or Blake. But I’m all about the ladies this year. Results night should be interesting, and Miss Ross will show our contestants how it’s done by a true diva.

Sanjaya needs to go home but I do feel kind of sorry for him because it's not his fault that viewers keep voting in his favor. I think a lot of people are voting for him just to be funny and as a result he has to get ridiculed on national television and the internet every week. He needs to be put out of his misery and so do we.
I liked Lakisha, Melinda, Blake, Stephanie, and Jordin (but hated her song choice).

I wonder if Sanjaya has a large contingency of Indian voters ... that could be keeping him around more than something like VoteFortheWorst.com.

:hmm:

Look at Jasmine Trias in the Fantasia season - all of Hawaii was probably voting a zillion times for her every week.

I still haven't forgiven Hawaii for her sticking around so damn long. :grumpy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom