American Idol 6 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:

Nah. I think she's just a teenage girl at the mercy of her hormones. She was excited, and she's totally into the show, and sometimes for teenagers, that equals tears of "OMG I LOVE YOU."

You have a new little girl ... you should know what you might be in for 11-12 years from now. :wink:

If she acts like that in front of someone like Sanjaya, I will seriously consider changing her last name...

:wink:

Dwight Schrute said:
Sanjaya = Esqueleto

tb-2.jpg

Loved that movie!

Sanjaya sounds more & more like Michael Jackson each week to me. If they ever had MJ week he'd rip it up...he could sing one of those old MJ ballads and bring Ashley to tears.

Oh yeah, Kevin Covais. Man, he was awful. You could tell all the attention went to his head after a while. He always looked like he was buying into his own hype.

In other news, I was at Target today and saw the Elliott Yamin CD. I'm curious to hear it, because I really liked his voice, but whoever gave him his new look should be shot. :huh:

This is pretty interesting:

Is Vote For The Worst's influence blown out of proportion?

A recap, taken from the blurb at Tvtattle.com

As Alan Sepinwall points out, the Web site blamed for keeping Sanjaya in the competition "didn't have enough juice to get Sundance past Sanjaya, and they didn't have enough to get Antonella past Stephanie or Haley." So why hasn't Sanjaya been voted off? "Sanjaya is still around," says Sepinwall, "for the same reason Kevin Covais made it two weeks into the finals last year, for the same reason John Stevens outlasted Jennifer Hudson in season three (pre-VFTW): He's a nonthreatening teenage boy whom young girls and older women (by far the two biggest voting blocs the show has) find cute. No more, no less. Sanjaya may be the worst finalist in 'Idol' history, but his continued presence on the show isn't an abomination, not when previous finals have included Covais, Stevens, Matt Rogers, Jim Verraros and Mikalah Gordon, among others."

corianderstem said:
This is pretty interesting:

Is Vote For The Worst's influence blown out of proportion?

A recap, taken from the blurb at Tvtattle.com

As Alan Sepinwall points out, the Web site blamed for keeping Sanjaya in the competition "didn't have enough juice to get Sundance past Sanjaya, and they didn't have enough to get Antonella past Stephanie or Haley." So why hasn't Sanjaya been voted off? "Sanjaya is still around," says Sepinwall, "for the same reason Kevin Covais made it two weeks into the finals last year, for the same reason John Stevens outlasted Jennifer Hudson in season three (pre-VFTW): He's a nonthreatening teenage boy whom young girls and older women (by far the two biggest voting blocs the show has) find cute. No more, no less. Sanjaya may be the worst finalist in 'Idol' history, but his continued presence on the show isn't an abomination, not when previous finals have included Covais, Stevens, Matt Rogers, Jim Verraros and Mikalah Gordon, among others."

Totally agree. And don't forget the horrendous Justin Guarini, and he almost won! Can you imagine? It's bad enough he beat Tamyra Gray and Christina Christian.

You know, John Stevens' name gets lumped in with these other guys all the time, and I don't think it's really fair. He certainly isn't the prototypical "pop" singer, and a lot of people didn't care for his style, but he didn't outright suck the way some of the others did. Oh and I'd forgotten about Mikalah Gordon...just hearing her talk, let alone sing, made my teeth itch :(

Justin was one of the front-runners throughout the entire competition, wasn't he? The judges mostly loved him, the fans seemed to love him, and he was a pretty decent singer. He definitely was the best guy of the bunch that year, by a long shot.

Now, Nikki McKibbin with her bar-floozy, karaoke voice.... she's the one who stuck around way past her prime, lasting longer than Tamyra Gray. Oh, and I didn't care for Christina Christian - she had that wobbly goat-like vibrato. :wink:

John Stevens was just duller than paint drying on the walls. I wish the judges would stop putting through these "crooner" types. Yeah, they're pleasant enough, but honestly ... freaking Michael Buble aside, it's not the mid-90s anymore, and the swing/big band fad has long since left the billing.

LA Times

If you are an "American Idol" fan with even a quarter ounce of humanity, then chances are Ashley Ferl broke your heart last week. She was that awkward 13-year-old girl with blond pigtails and braces who cried her way through the entire 2-hour Tuesday night show. The camera kept cutting back to her as she wailed uncontrollably, causing viewers to cover their faces and shout at the TV screen, "Oh my God! Leave that poor girl alone!"

But as it turned out, she was having the time of her life.

Since then, life has been hectic for the Ferl family, who hail from Riverside. As they have now repeated many times in their multitude of radio, television and newspaper interviews since Wednesday morning, Ashley and her mother had obtained tickets to a taping of "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" which allowed them to go to the dress rehearsal of "American Idol." Ferl started crying from the get go. (Despite being cast as a Sanjaya Malakar fan by the media, Ferl's crying was indiscriminate. She cried for every performer.)

The producers liked what they saw and invited her back for the taping of the show. "Before they asked us to stay my mom kept telling me to stop crying, but I didn't listen to her," said Ferl in a phone interview this week.

She was right not to listen: Because of her crying, she was invited on stage at the end of the show to hug each contestant, and was introduced to the judges during a commercial break. Paula Abdul gave the young fan a pair of earrings that Ferl describes as dangly gold hearts.

By Wednesday morning it was clear that Ferl was well on her way to temporary stardom. She woke up to find television vans from E!, Access Hollywood and Fox all waiting outside her door, and that evening the entire family flew to New York on NBC's tab so that Ferl could be interviewed on Thursday's "Today" show.

After that, Ferl was interviewed by MSNBC, Fox News and "Entertainment Tonight." This is not the first time that Ferl has cried her way into an enviable situation. Last year she was at the dress rehearsal for the top 3 episode of "Idol," where she saw Mikalah Gordon, her favorite contestant from Season 4. Ferl got so excited that she started to scream — an usher agreed to take her over to meet Gordon. As Ferl tells it, she was practically hyperventilating, and a concerned Gordon offered to take her backstage for a Sprite and some candy to calm her down.

"I didn't calm down," said Ferl. "I went back to my seat and watched the show, and then Taylor [Hicks] waved to me and I got all excited again."

Ferl and her family are hoping that Fox invites them back to sit in the "Idol" audience again. And the producers should know that Ferl is a sure thing when it comes to the waterworks. She said she's been to at least 10 "Idol" concerts in the last five years and she's cried at every single one.

OMG! What was that on Sanjaya's head??? A new hairstyle? :scream:

Anyway, I thought Gina was very good but no way was that her best performance yet. She'd done better in the past. I think good song selection tends to disguise an average or even above average performance into seeming absolutely stunning. She picked a great song!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom