Amelie From Montmarte (french film) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2002, 05:35 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Amelie From Montmarte (french film)

I’m watching this fantastic french film for the 3rd time: “Amelie From Montmarte”. It’s about a young lady called Amelie who is eccentric and lives in her own world. One of her pastimes is sitting on the roof and looking at the Paris skyline to guess how many orgasms are happening at the moment ("fifteen"). Something momentous happens and she realises that she would live a better life if she reached out to people more. So, throughout the film, she makes up schemes to bring people together and make them happier individuals, but they don’t know it’s all her doing. She basically becomes a saint in secret. At the same time, she is longing for true love...

The way the story is told is very creative, funny and different – I feel it’s more classy/bizarre than Ally McBeal. Furthermore, I am so in love with the soundtrack.

Anyone else seen this film? Do you watch much foreign films?

foray

------------------
the only thing I know is that I know nothing

Old 01-12-2002, 06:24 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by foray:

I’m watching this fantastic french film for the 3rd time: “Amelie From Montmarte”. It’s about a young lady called Amelie who is eccentric and lives in her own world. One of her pastimes is sitting on the roof and looking at the Paris skyline to guess how many orgasms are happening at the moment ("fifteen"). Something momentous happens and she realises that she would live a better life if she reached out to people more. So, throughout the film, she makes up schemes to bring people together and make them happier individuals, but they don’t know it’s all her doing. She basically becomes a saint in secret. At the same time, she is longing for true love...

The way the story is told is very creative, funny and different – I feel it’s more classy/bizarre than Ally McBeal. Furthermore, I am so in love with the soundtrack.

Anyone else seen this film? Do you watch much foreign films?

foray

Foray, this film sounds really interesting, and though I watch an awful lot of foreign films, I honestly never seen this one. Must watch out for it.

I catched a really creepy Dutch film last night called The 6.10 Train, about this guy who's facing his last shot at a decent job, going for an interview as an art curator. He follows and kidnaps the one other shortlisted applicant for the job, and locks him in the basement of his girlfriend's (dead) grandfather's country cottage. Thus man B disappears off the face of the earth, and Man A gets the job. Fast-forward three years, and man B pops up applying for a job as Man A's assistant at the museum. There are a few hint which begin to tip Man B off that Man A was the one who screwed up his life three years ago, and plus man B becomes involved with a close friend of Man A's wife. From there on in, it gets thoroughly paranoid and deranged. And as someone who spent a year unemployed after university, I can actually relate to the main protagonist in a creepy kind of way...

Some other favourites are:

Taxi (Spanish)
The Mediocrities (German)
Betty Blue (French, maybe)
Fire (Title may be incorrect - Indian)

Old 01-12-2002, 06:26 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Jesus, my grammar is shoddy tonight. That should be 'caught' not 'catched', and 'hints' not 'hint'.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:10 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wow someone actually watched Fire. It's very well done and very pretty to look at (the cinematography). Have you seen the trilogy (Water and Earth). I caught Earth but it wasn't as captivating as Fire.

foray
Old 01-12-2002, 07:24 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Wow someone actually watched Fire. It's very well done and very pretty to look at (the cinematography). Have you seen the trilogy (Water and Earth). I caught Earth but it wasn't as captivating as Fire.

foray
I'll confess my ignorance, I did not know it was part of a trilogy. This is the same 'Fire' that is about a city girl living in unhappiness with her boyfriend/husband and his strict family, decrepit grandmother, religious fanatic father etc? It is visually stunning.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:53 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yep, the very same Fire by Deepa Mehta. Earth was the next one, but this time it is not in English but in her native tongue Hindi. It's about the Partition in India and revolves around a nanny (same girl who plays the younger sister-in-law in Fire) who falls in love with an ice-cream man... I am not sure if Water was released because last I heard, Deepa Mehta was banned from filming it in India. People were burning effigys of her in the streets!

foray

[This message has been edited by foray (edited 01-12-2002).]
Old 01-12-2002, 08:12 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I am not sure if Water was released because last I heard, Deepa Mehta was banned from filming it in India. People were burning effigys of her in the streets!

foray

[This message has been edited by foray (edited 01-12-2002).]
God! Still, unlikely she could have finished filming anywhere else...
Old 01-12-2002, 10:06 AM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 09:38 AM
I LOVE that film!!! The best one I saw in 2001. It is so...dreamish. Amelie from Montmartre? The original title is like "The fabulous world of Amelie". It would sound better...but that has nothing to do with the wonderful film.

------------------
I let the melody shine
Let it cleanse my mind
I feel free now
Old 01-12-2002, 02:00 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: maze of your imagination, where the streets have no name, lol
I went to see that film about a month ago, it was great, it was really funny. I watched it because im doing French and Spanish for a-level, i felt like an idiot at the cinema tho cus everyone else was about 60 and im 16, i felt so young

I loved "todo sobre mi madre" which is a Spanish film produced by Pedro Almardarvez (i dunno how to spell his surname) and i enjoyed "La belle epoque" by the same director which although the title is French its a spanish film, they are really good
Old 01-12-2002, 02:06 PM   #10
Acrobat

I'd love to see Amelie, but it's not playing anywhere near me.

I love the director, who also filmed Delicatessan and I believe, City of the Lost Children. Nevermind he directed the horrible Aliens 4 but I'll forgive him for that. Amelie looks like wonderful eye candy and I can't wait to see it but sadly, I just might have to wait for it to be released on DVD...

PS, I dig watching foreign films.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:09 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I saw Amelie a couple weeks ago, and I loved it! My friend wanted to see it, but I was a little wary since I figured that a critically acclaimed foreign film would probably be too confusing, boring, or weird for me (not that that's the case for other people!). But I was very pleasantly surprised- I think Amelie is a very enjoyable film. I recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:17 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
I love the director, who also filmed Delicatessan and I believe, City of the Lost Children.
That's what I thought! No wonder his name sounded familiar. The clone from City is casted in this one as well.

foray

Old 01-13-2002, 10:51 PM   #13
Acrobat

Its funny cos here its been a hit, a number one for a lot of weeks and its still on the screens and gets a lot of people. I wonder why did they changed the title so drastically, cos the original title is "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulin" (The fabulous fate of Amélin Poulin).

Anyways, I'm really a tratiro, cos I haven'T seen it (here, almost everyone saw it),but I have the soundtrack and its very.. delightful.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ejército Zapatista de Liberación Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarités : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org
Old 01-14-2002, 01:07 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If I can't find the soundtrack anywhere here, do you know where I can order it online (and hopefully an English language website of course)..?

foray
Old 01-14-2002, 07:39 AM   #15
Acrobat

Quote:
If I can't find the soundtrack anywhere here, do you know where I can order it online (and hopefully an English language website of course)..?

foray
I don't know foray, I bought it here in a Archambeault store

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ejército Zapatista de Liberación Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarités : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org