Am I the only one? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoobaby14

I have discovered David Bowie in the past few months and I think he is brilliant!

Me too! I feel so lame admitting this, but it wasn't until I recently re-watched "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou" for the 3rd time and really paid attention to the music. "Life On Mars?" and "Queen Bitch"!!!

I SO need Hunky Dory for Christmas!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #17
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Hunky Dory is a bit hit or miss, but when it hits... goddamn.

The Life Aquatic has my two favorite Bowie tracks, Life on Mars? and Queen Bitch.

Good taste, Fitz.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Yeah, I'm really getting into Bowie now too. He's fantastic.

My mother saw him on the Ziggy Stardust Tour, and is a little freaked out that I'm listening to him. Just a little though, gang.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoManiac
I had heard about Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys for the longest time and finally downloaded it for the first time a few months ago. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. I loved it from start to finish.

The great thing about discovering music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, is that, and it does sound cliché, if you haven't heard it before then it's like new music for you. And that, I think, is part of the fun of discovering old classics.
I've always wanted to hear that but i always forget to download it. I WONDER WHERE I COULD FIND A LINK TO MAYBE A PLACE THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO DOWNLOAD THAT?

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

My mother saw him on the Ziggy Stardust Tour, and is a little freaked out that I'm listening to him. Just a little though, gang.
That's pretty far out, man.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #20
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

You want to borrow my jumper, Bowie?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Quote:
I've always wanted to hear that but i always forget to download it. I WONDER WHERE I COULD FIND A LINK TO MAYBE A PLACE THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO DOWNLOAD THAT?
Pet Sounds is an album worth actually buying.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Hunky Dory . Good stuff on there. Yes.

You know what song I've been really addicted to lately for some reason? The Vogues' "Five O'Clock World". I've always loved that song, but lately it's just been sounding particularly good to me.

Angela
Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoobaby14
trust me your no the only one

I have discovered David Bowie in the past few months and I think he is brilliant!
me too...
yeah David Bowie is awsome,Like the Best!

I have liked Depeche Mode too a little bit.
Old music is ok, some you just have to get used to but most songs i have heard rock
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Beach Boys, Chuck Berry and Bowie are great,

but I feel somewhat sad and lame that it took me until 2006
to finally discover/appreciate
T-Rex, Roy Orbison, Otis Redding
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
Beach Boys, Chuck Berry and Bowie are great,

but I feel somewhat sad and lame that it took me until 2006
to finally discover/appreciate
T-Rex, Roy Orbison, Otis Redding
Eh, better late than never, right ?

I really like Otis and Roy's voices. Makes their songs that much more pleasing to listen to.

Angela
Old 12-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 AM
I know it sound cliche, but I've really, really gotten into the Beatles and some of George and John's solo stuff lately.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
You know you're getting old when people consider the Cars, Depeche Mode, INXS and Tears for Fears "old music".
Indeed! Those are still modern bands for me (veteran maybe, but not old). I consider oldies music as being made before 1966 or so (or at times I think before 1962, before The Beatles). After that the classic period starts, until 1976/1977 or so (say, with the start of punk). Post 1977 is still the current/modern period for me.

And it's great listening to those artists and track the evolution of music.
A favourite of mine is Buddy Holly. Great songs and a carreer that was cut short way too soon. It's interesting to hear his song Not Fade Away and track its influence (as basically The Stooges' 1969, Bruce Springsteen's She's The One and U2's Desire all use the same beat).

In a whole different genre, there's Ray Charles. His work in the Fifties laid the foundation for Rhythm & Blues and subsequently soul (one of his boxsets isn't called The Birth Of Soul for nothing and songs he wrote then are still current today (see Kanye West sampling his I Got A Woman for Golddigger)).

Music!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Pet Sounds is an album worth actually buying.

Amen!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:02 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
A favourite of mine is Buddy Holly. Great songs and a carreer that was cut short way too soon. It's interesting to hear his song Not Fade Away and track its influence (as basically The Stooges' 1969, Bruce Springsteen's She's The One and U2's Desire all use the same beat).
Buddy Holly had some fantastic songs, definitely-I've liked what I've heard from the guy. My favorite song of his is probably "Peggy Sue". I've also always liked "Everyday" as well, both his version as well as James Taylor's-it just puts a smile on my face when I hear it.

Incidentally, the town I was born and spent a good portion of my life in was right next to the airport where the tragic crash involving him occurred. My family used to travel over to Clear Lake frequently, and we visited the Surf Ballroom a couple times when we were there-they even held a "sock hop" sort of night there once where they played a bunch of '50s and '60s music (and I think the guy who does that "Super Gold" radio show (does he still do it?) hosted it, too. I know he hosted something there once, can't remember if that was the event or not. Hm). Fun times.

Quote:
In a whole different genre, there's Ray Charles. His work in the Fifties laid the foundation for Rhythm & Blues and subsequently soul (one of his boxsets isn't called The Birth Of Soul for nothing and songs he wrote then are still current today (see Kanye West sampling his I Got A Woman for Golddigger)).
One reason why that song is good . Another great artist to mention, definitely . And his piano skills...wow.

Heard these guys earlier-the Everly Brothers would be another one worth mentioning. One in a long list of duos who were so, so good at using harmonies and crafting lovely little pop songs.

Quote:
Music!
I'll second that! Thank god for music, makes life just a bit more enjoyable.

Angela
Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Wow! I didn't know that a thread i started would get this much response.

Lots of cool stuff to check out. I think i'll start with David Bowie and Ray Charles. The only thing by david bowie that I've really heard is the duet with Queen-Under Pressure, which is amazing. I did recently see Labrynth and he was pretty good in that.

I do really like Mark Knopfler but I haven't heard much Dire Straits except Walk of Life. Any thoughts?

I heard Holiday in Cambodia by the Dead Kennedy's (I play lots of Guitar Hero III) and I was intrigued. Any other good old school punk to check out?