AFI's new record heavily u2-influenced - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 07:42 AM
AFI's new record heavily u2-influenced

Decemberunderground has leaked, but will be in stores 6/6/06. Some songs are on Myspace and afireinside.net.

There's some stuff on this album that damn near bugged my eyes right out of my head as far as hearing such a strong u2 flavor in a place I didn't expect it. My God. Jade Puget is already an amazing guitarist... adding the Edge-tones is simply sublime....
The song The Missing Frame's entire structure hits you straight out of 1981, an unholy mix of Gloria and Like A Song... Kiss And Control's lead-in seems to be both homage and allusion to Bullet The Blue Sky, and an all-too-brief guitar solo in The Killing Lights instantly calls forth the Red Rocks version of The Electric Co.

This album isn't a total breakaway from their earlier work but an evolution.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Intriguing. Jade Puget is indeed a guitarist to be reckoned with. I was listening to one of their live songs the other day and damn near fell out of my chair at how awesome his guitar playing is. He has reminded me of Edge before, so I see what you're saying.

I cannot wait to hear this album. But other than listening to Miss Murder, I'm waiting to savor the official release.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Refugee

I don't know. I heard the lead single(Miss Murder) and personally I thought it sucked. the songs on their myspace sound aweful too. AFI was once good but now they sound as if they're simply catering to the masses and not ina good way. their music sounds shallow now as if they're intentionally trying to fit in with the pop/punk thing that's going on now. It doesn't sound genuine to me. I'm actually really disapointed with the direction they've gone over the last two albums.

A band that actually sounds really good and has an obvious u2 influence is Tom Delonge's new band Angels and Airwaves. Unfortunately his singing still reaks of Blink 182
Old 05-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
It doesn't sound genuine to me. I'm actually really disapointed with the direction they've gone over the last two albums.

They're grown men in their 30s, they're not gonna sound the same way they did when they put out Black Sails in The Sunset, which was when I first got into them.

I absolutely adored Sing the Sorrow, so I can see why you may be disenchanted with the direction they've gone.
However.
Decemberunderground is an evolution of that sound... once you head the entire album all the way through a few times, you realise that it's got nothing at all to do with any current trend at all....

There is some new exploration towards using electronics thanks to a collaboration with Ronan Harris of VNV Nation and it works extremely well.

The B-side to the exclusive Miss Murder single, a cover of INXS's "Don't Change" shocked the shit out of me at first. I totally expected them to hit it hard, with all of the 1982 original's energy that I grew to love on long car drives with Shabooh Shoobah in the tape deck... They took it and made it fragile and crystalline as glass. By the third listen i was over my "WTF??" and completely owned.

It's not for everyone. It's certainly not for people who think everything AFI has done since Jade Puget joined the band has sucked or been "the wrong direction". But give the record an honest listen when it drops, you might be surprised. You know better than to trust a Myspace compressed mp3 for quality.....
Old 05-25-2006, 04:46 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:42 AM
My pants are heavily U2-influenced.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:03 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:42 PM
^ I'm glad to hear it

Is there anywhere I can download the album from? AFI are alright, I have a few of their older songs, but I'm not willing to buy the album....
Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Total U2 Nut
^ I'm glad to hear it

Is there anywhere I can download the album from? AFI are alright, I have a few of their older songs, but I'm not willing to buy the album....
wow, that's... brazen.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Then it's good music!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden

wow, that's... brazen.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Total U2 Nut

Quote:
"Is there anywhere I can download the album from? AFI are alright, I have a few of their older songs, but I'm not willing to buy the album...."
Why in the name of all that's holy would I give you a free download link to a record (that's not even released yet) made by a band whose work I admire and support, who actually need the money?

You want to hear it? Buy it. Or fuck off.
Don't ever ask me for something like that.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Calm down! There's no need to be rude, and can you honestly tell me that you've never illegally downloaded something? I seriously doubt it..

And come, on "they need the money" - yeah right. They're a pretty mainstream band, it's not as if they don't have a record deal on a major label....
Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
My pants are heavily U2-influenced.
Stylin'!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

completely uncalled for....

however, thanks for the link and the info. I'm way too busy these days to keep up with new music by bands I like. I only find out stuff through this forum.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^^ I need to get myself some of those!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797

completely uncalled for....

seeing as the mods at this forum suspend people for requesting links to download u2's official releases, i think it was completely warrented.

i'll probably pick up this album eventually. miss murder is decent.