About Coldplay's next album... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #16
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Anyway, I can't wait for the next album. I'm excited for for the new direction. S I'm a little nervous about Timbaland though.
(He's working on Madonna's new album too, and that's really got me terrifed.)
I'm in the small minority that LOVED "X&Y" as much as "Parachutes" and "AROBTTH". It's definitely more personal than me as a whole than the others. I'd love to see them a bit more experimental in terms of lyrics and the overall sound.
That's interesting you say that, because I felt X&Y was the most impersonal of their albums, even A Rush of Blood... What bothered me the most about X&Y was all of the empty space, it seemed like every song was in some sort of vacuum you know? Then you go to Parachutes and you have this warmth and touching feeling when listening to that album, there's something going on in the background. A Rush of Blood... was more dense I guess, relying more on synths and lush sounds, while still sounding personal and setting a mood. With X&Y, everything seemed forced - the ballads weren't touching, the rock songs weren't that groovy, everything was out of place. There was no personality, everything came across very trite, like it was their demo to be the "Next Best Thing." Maybe being more impersonal with each album was supposed to be a logical progression, but with X&Y everything fell flat.

The only song that can be salvaged from that album is 'Til Kingdom Come, which is really a bonus track.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

That's interesting you say that, because I felt X&Y was the most impersonal of their albums, even A Rush of Blood... What bothered me the most about X&Y was all of the empty space, it seemed like every song was in some sort of vacuum you know? Then you go to Parachutes and you have this warmth and touching feeling when listening to that album, there's something going on in the background. A Rush of Blood... was more dense I guess, relying more on synths and lush sounds, while still sounding personal and setting a mood. With X&Y, everything seemed forced - the ballads weren't touching, the rock songs weren't that groovy, everything was out of place. There was no personality, everything came across very trite, like it was their demo to be the "Next Best Thing." Maybe being more impersonal with each album was supposed to be a logical progression, but with X&Y everything fell flat.

The only song that can be salvaged from that album is 'Til Kingdom Come, which is really a bonus track.
I definitely see where you're coming from! And you're right. I guess, personal wasn't the right word. For me, I guess it's more meaningful. That probably doesn't make sense. I guess it just came at a time when I needed it. This is really going to get me flamed, but "Fix You" is actually my favorite track on the album. It's far from the best, but it's the one that's gotten me through a lot. I would definitely like something that seemingly has more work and thought behind it on this album, but "X&Y" was not the musical equivalent of euthanasia.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't know if this helps Aygo, but I just found this article that came out today. It sounds extremely promising to me.

http://www.coldplaying.com/index.php...ticle&sid=3669
Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

I definitely see where you're coming from! And you're right. I guess, personal wasn't the right word. For me, I guess it's more meaningful. That probably doesn't make sense. I guess it just came at a time when I needed it. This is really going to get me flamed, but "Fix You" is actually my favorite track on the album. It's far from the best, but it's the one that's gotten me through a lot. I would definitely like something that seemingly has more work and thought behind it on this album, but "X&Y" was not the musical equivalent of euthanasia.
The thing about Fix You is it could've been something really special. You could feel it in the song. I didn't buy into Chris Martin before the crescendo (which is amazing) because of the absolutely horrible falsetto. Really, that and the fact the lyrics are terrible, but musically it worked.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #20
The Male

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:

before the crescendo (which is amazing)
WORST. GUITAR SOLO. EVER.

What kills Fix You is definitely the lyrics. That, and it takes 3 minutes for it to go anywhere at all. By then, my face looks like this and it's not even worth waiting for something that could be better experienced in almost any U2 song. It's just a terrible song, just like Stuck is terrible. (Though I'd take Stuck, given a choice)

X&Y does have some good songs though...Square One, What If, White Shadows, Talk, Speed Of Sound, and Til Kingdom Come are all at least palatable, but the rest justify the Coldplay jokes completely.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #21
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The solo does suck, but everything kicks into another gear. If the song worked, that would've been the transcending moment of the album, but it didn't and that's part of why the album failed.

Amsterdam is 10000000x better in the transcending part.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 12:03 AM
I actually have pretty high hopes for the next Coldplay album. Really liked the first two albums, never listened to the entirety of X&Y since I didn't like most of what I heard from it, but come on. BRIAN ENO's going to help with it, and it's supposedly going to be more experimental, which should be really good for a band like Coldplay.

Martin really needs to spend some more time on the lyrics this time around, though. Another "Fix You," and I'm counting them out.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Fix You really could have used Brian Eno. He would have made those first 3 minutes a true experience and replaced that guitar solo with a stretch of pure elevation. Add two minutes of euphoria and you've got a classic.

I also think that Eno would have really saved songs like Low, X&Y and White Shadows.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think X&Y was an attempt to use Brian Eno without Brian Eno.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #25
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 05:03 AM
Let Chris be with his baby.

The new album will come when it does. There is so much great music right now, so we can wait.

Was John lazy for raising Sean?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
I actually have pretty high hopes for the next Coldplay album. Really liked the first two albums, never listened to the entirety of X&Y since I didn't like most of what I heard from it, but come on. BRIAN ENO's going to help with it, and it's supposedly going to be more experimental, which should be really good for a band like Coldplay.

Martin really needs to spend some more time on the lyrics this time around, though. Another "Fix You," and I'm counting them out.
I'm not concerned with the Timbaland input since I like the little that I've heard of his style so far.
I'm just waiting for the feeling I got when I heard Parachutes but with a departure from X&Y.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:

That was the low point of X&Y for me...and unnecessary and bland bonus track.

X&Y is better than most of the shit out there, and Square One, Speed Of Sound, Talk and Swallowed In The Sea are some of Coldplay's finest moments.

It would've been rather sweet if they replaced A Message and Fix You with some of the stunning b-sides from the sessions (Things I Dont Understand, Gravity, World Turned Upside Down). But hey, what band isnt guilty of relegating some their best tunes to B-Side status (Bends-era Radiohead, Kid Amnesiac-era Radiohead, SOTSOG-era Oasis).

Had some of these b-sides made it onto the album, X&Y would have sounded like a much more cohesive album with a better flow from track to track.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:39 AM   #28
45:33

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

WORST. GUITAR SOLO. EVER.

What kills Fix You is definitely the lyrics. That, and it takes 3 minutes for it to go anywhere at all. By then, my face looks like this and it's not even worth waiting for something that could be better experienced in almost any U2 song. It's just a terrible song, just like Stuck is terrible. (Though I'd take Stuck, given a choice)

X&Y does have some good songs though...Square One, What If, White Shadows, Talk, Speed Of Sound, and Til Kingdom Come are all at least palatable, but the rest justify the Coldplay jokes completely.
Stuck is not terrible, I am loving it more and more. A saver for me.

Now. I agree with the lyrics on Fix You. Anything about the son that "could have been" special was killed by "and ignite your bones" in my opinion.

I still love Square One, Speed of Sound, and I don't mind a few others.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

The thing about Fix You is it could've been something really special. You could feel it in the song. I didn't buy into Chris Martin before the crescendo (which is amazing) because of the absolutely horrible falsetto. Really, that and the fact the lyrics are terrible, but musically it worked.
The crescendo is definitely where it grabs me every time. The lyrics are pretty "telethon-ish", but I think you hit the nail on the head with saying it could've been something special. I think that's the issue. The music is beautiful, and I think it snapped me up so much I was really lenient on my expectations for the lyrics. With better lyrics it certainly could've been up there as one of their best songs.

Edited to say, I just now noticed your av...and you are offically amazing!
Old 06-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

That was the low point of X&Y for me...and unnecessary and bland bonus track.

X&Y is better than most of the shit out there, and Square One, Speed Of Sound, Talk and Swallowed In The Sea are some of Coldplay's finest moments.

It would've been rather sweet if they replaced A Message and Fix You with some of the stunning b-sides from the sessions (Things I Dont Understand, Gravity, World Turned Upside Down). But hey, what band isnt guilty of relegating some their best tunes to B-Side status (Bends-era Radiohead, Kid Amnesiac-era Radiohead, SOTSOG-era Oasis).

Had some of these b-sides made it onto the album, X&Y would have sounded like a much more cohesive album with a better flow from track to track.
I've never heard those B-sides. How did that happen? I don't suppose anyone could send them to jesusgirl06@yahoo.com ?

Tags
coldplay