A little music confession

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I never listen to Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

I know that Outkast cleaned house at the grammy's. I know that this double album was deemed one of the best of 2003. I know that Outkast are one of the most critically acclaimed rap acts ever. I know that even IWB liked "Hey Ya." :wink:

I don't know why I don't like it. It's not that I don't like rap, r&B, hip hop, etc., because everyone here knows I'm a huge fan of those genres. I liked "Hey Ya" and loved "The Way You Move" when they were released as singles, so I scrounged up the money and bought the album, especially since people were hyping it up and raving about it. But I honestly never listen to it. I tried to when I first got it and made it through both albums a few times each. I bring it to work with me all the time and never touch it. It does nothing for me.

This may be just a case of the albums not being my style. That's cool. But I would be interested in hearing from y'all why you like it (if in fact you do) and what songs you like in particular. I really would like to think there's something redeeming about the albums, but other than "The Way You Move" and "Ghetto Musick" I'm not seeing it.

I can't stand "The Way You Move". But I will happily sing and dance to both Hey Ya and Roses whenever the mood strikes me.

But I haven't listened to all of both discs, so I guess I have nothing more to say here :wink:

"Hey Ya!" irritated me within a week of its release, and I hate the other two singles. Which is odd, because I consider myself an OutKast lover. Don't feel bad tho. Big Boi is doing his Mack/Hustla thing on his album, and Andre is getting his love freak on in his album - it's a tough call, especially as talented as they both are, they are far better together than separate.

Truthfully, I really believe TLB/Sxxx was given Album of the Year based on the strengths of "Hey Ya!" and its video. I haven't met or heard of many people who ADORE the albums all the way thru, unlike the beloved "Stankonia" or "Aquemini."

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
The only Outkast songs I know are "Hey Ya" and "Roses". :silent:

Really? Like, from their entire catalog? I'm sure you've heard "Miss Jackson" and "Bombs over Baghdad" at some point.. they were pretty big that year. "Miss Jackson" and the video were pretty inescapable.

tracks to check out on each disc that may change your mind:

speakerboxx:

church
the rooster
flip flop rock

the love below:

spread
dracula's wedding
she lives in my lap

I agree that Speakerboxx/Love Below are nowhere near as good as Stankonia (crap, I even think Stankonia is better than the Outkast Greatest Hits cd!!!!)!!! I pretty much dont listen to either of them very much either.

That being said, there are some fantastic songs on there. I'd like to agree with HOS that Flip Flop Rock and Dracula's Wedding are both awesome. I havent listened to either album in months, but those are some that I even still remember were awesome. I suppose I should listen to them again more.

Regardles, I'm enjoying the new Beastie Boys album more than I ever enjoyed either of these cd's. I guess I just prefer REAL Outkast, not solo stuff. Anyways, you know how it works Ma, one day we may listen to the CD's and think they're the greatest things ever made by humans.

Last edited:
I just got the album this Saturday. Hey Ya! was 'bugging' me so much these last few months (as in getting stuck in my head and not leaving) that I decided I wanted to have that album, even if it would be the only song I'd like. Especially when I read an article about how there aren't any joyous rock songs anymore and that the exception was Hey Ya! made by some rappers.
Anyway, since I have the album only a few days and have listened to it just a few times I cannot comment on it at the moment. I have to say that, while I'm no fan at all of all those silly rap interludes, Good Day, Good Sir has caught my attention in a positive way.

I will return to this thread later.

C ya!

Marty

I confess (yes, another confession!) that I don't have any of the other Outkast albums :reject: but I'm sure y'all are right that two "solo" albums are not the same as regular Outkast, which makes for a different, perhaps less accessible, feel overall.

HOS, thanks for the song suggestions (with endorsements by mofo). I trust both of you, so I will revisit those songs especially. Mofo, maybe we can listen to them together sometime.

Marty, definitely get back to us and let us know what you think of the albums once you've had more of a chance to listen to them. I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom