80s music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Madness is great ska band! "Our House" was their only hit. They do sound very 80's but some of their other songs have a more of ska-influence. I think No Doubt was influence by them. I would like to to share with you guys these wonderful lyrics from Madness called, "The Sun and the Rain"

Its raining again,
Im hearing it's pitter patter down.
Its wet in the street
Reflecting the lights and splashing feet,
Nowhere to go,
And nothing I have to do, have to do.

Its raining again,
I follow the christmas lights down town.
Im leaving the flow
Of people walking all around,
Round and round,

I hear the sound of rain falling in my ears
Washing away the weariness like tears.
I can feel my troubles running down,
Disappear into the silent sound.

Just walking along,
My clothes are soaked right through to the skin,
I haven't a doubt, that this is what life is all about,
The sun and the rain.
Scraps of paper washing down the drain.

I feel the rain falling on my face
I can say there is no better place
Than standing up in the falling down
In so much rain I could almost drown.

Its raining again
A crack in the clouds reveals blue skies
Ive been feeling so low(low)
But now everything is on my side
The sun and the rain.
Walk with me fill my heart again

I hear the rain falling in my ears
Washing away the weariness like tears.
I can feel my troubles running down,
Disappear into the silent sound.

I feel the rain falling on my face
I can say there is no better place
Than standing up in the falling down
In so much rain I could almost drown.

corianderstem said:
I remember seeing those Asia videos on MTV at my friend Penny's house.

My parents had forbidden me from watching MTV, but Penny's mom kept our little secret. As did my grandma, who let me watch it as much as I wanted. :)

Here in Canada, it was MuchMusic. My dad claims he was the very first in the city to have it. (Dads always want to be cool, especially in recollection after the fact.) I fell in love with that station...I remember visiting his house and just being glued to channel 33, which it still is today.

One of the first videos that really gripped me during that time was Shout by Tears for Fears. :drool: It was another one that scared me a bit with it's uniqueness. Roland seemed really angry about something, which I found strangely appealing.

No spoken words said:
I always liked the Head over Heels video, actually.

I swear, you're reading my mind! I'm watching that video right now! They were way ahead of their time as a band. :drool:

There's been a lot of Tears for Fears talk on this site lately, actually, which I think is a good thing.

I've got "Goodbye Song" on my SpaceMoon list, and it's a lesser known Tears track, but I think it's amazing.

I had no cable until early 90's, so, videos were something I saw at Grandma's house up in Mass. I was mesmerized and it's hard to separate some of the 80's music from their videos.....which is not a good thing, but, it is what it is.....videos were different then...not saying better, just different....a little less worried about the attention span deprived, I guess. And, one out of every three videos had a white horse in the 80's. :)

I miss being able to watch videos. I'm pretty sure I could get VH1 Classic if I upgraded to digital cable, I don't know if I can justify the cost right now.

Someday, my precious videos ... someday.

Vh1 Classic is pretty good.

I miss the old MTV2, actually....they played a lot of good shit....I found the Doves and Elbow through M2. Those days are gone.

I'll add a few that haven't been mentioned yet...

The Hooters - And We Danced, Day By Day, etc.
The Outfield - Your Love, Voices Of Babylon, etc.
Fiction Factory - Feels Like Heaven
Visage - Fade To Grey
Alphaville - Forever Young
Erasure - A Little Respect, Chains Of Love, etc.
T'pau - Heart And Soul (hey, I always liked it - so shoot me)
GTR - When The Heart Rules The Mind
Roxy Music - the entire Avalon album :drool:
After The Fire - Der Kommissar
Golded Earring - Twilight Zone
Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe

Just a few off the top of my head that I didn't see from anyone.

Last edited:
D'oh - how could we all have forgotten Erasure???

I love me some Erasure. And I also love me some Depeche Mode - particularly the live 101 double-album. It's got all my favorite versions of those great 80s songs.

No spoken words said:

I've got "Goodbye Song" on my SpaceMoon list, and it's a lesser known Tears track, but I think it's amazing.

Beautiful song. :up: The guitar reminds me of a cross between Echo & The Bunnymen and Dire Straits. Speaking of ETB, they were a very late discovery of mine...thanks to the reportedly weird GibsonGirl, and Interference. :wink: They could very well be the best band of the 80s...certainly the best band many people have never heard. I'm not quite sure why that is. They had, and still have, a unique sound and style. I'm really looking forward to their new album.

One of my favs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyq4EH776U

corianderstem said:
And I also love me some Depeche Mode - particularly the live 101 double-album. It's got all my favorite versions of those great 80s songs.

I've never understood Depeche Mode. :reject:

I'm a pretty big Echo fan. I do not like everything GG likes, but, I'd always listen to something she recommended cos I respect her tastes. I've liked Echo for a long time, though.

No spoken words said:
Vh1 Classic is pretty good.

I miss the old MTV2, actually....they played a lot of good shit....I found the Doves and Elbow through M2. Those days are gone.

I know, MTV, VH1 stink. :( But VH1 classic is good.

Tears For Fears talk, yeah! I love TFT so much! "Head Over Heels" has such a happy video. :) I like it when TFT plays "Broken" live right after Head Over Heels.

Last edited:
Cute Irish Bono said:

I know, MTV, VH1 stink. :( But VH1 classic is good.

Tears For Fears talk, yeah! I love TFT so much! "Head Over Heels" has such a happy video. :) I like it when TFT plays "Broken" live right after Head Over Heels.

Oh, I know you are a good go-to person to discuss Tears for Fears! :)

MTV does stink, and VH1 is, ugh, do not get me started.

VH1 Classic has a show around 9:00 that plays alternative music for an hour. They had like The Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr. That's a great show! I wonder if it's still around.

No spoken words said:
There's been a lot of Tears for Fears talk on this site lately, actually, which I think is a good thing.

Man, I wasn't aware of anything in the '80s, being in diapers and all, but if I had been around, Tears for Fears would have been my U2. I still gotta go deeper into their catalogue!

My respect for '80s music comes largely from the fact that my parents, specifically my mother, refused to embrace the '90s. I listened to the '80s station well until I was 15 years old. It took me months to get into popular stuff, and that was really only to have a conversation piece with people my age.

Damn, these threads always make me wish I had been born at least a decade earlier. :sigh:
Mom, why didn't you get pregnant at 18?

PlaTheGreat said:

Man, I wasn't aware of anything in the '80s, being in diapers and all, but if I had been around, Tears for Fears would have been my U2. I still gotta go deeper into their catalogue!

My respect for '80s music comes largely from the fact that my parents, specifically my mother, refused to embrace the '90s. I listened to the '80s station well until I was 15 years old. It took me months to get into popular stuff, and that was really only to have a conversation piece with people my age.

Damn, these threads always make me wish I had been born at least a decade earlier. :sigh:
Mom, why didn't you get pregnant at 18?

What year were you born?

I actually got into Motown and the Beatles at a very young age, cos my parents listened to a lot of both.....but around 10, 11, I stumbled on College Radio stations, and that's how I came to like U2 and REM and the Replacements at the same time that I came to like more mainstream 80's pop.

Your Mom seems awfully selfish, not getting knocked up at 18.

The melody from Head Over Heels might be one of the catchiest ever. :)

Also, can't let this thread drift away without these:

Don Henley - Boys of Summer
Toto - Africa, Rosanna
Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That
Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie
Dave Dobbyn - Slice of Heaven
Mike Oldfield - Moonlight Shadow
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Aerosmith & Run DMC - Walk This Way
Yazoo - Only You
Flying Pickets - Only You
Pat Benatar - Love is a Battlefield, We Belong
Spandau Ballet - True, Only When You Leave
Mister Mr - Broken Wings
Club Nouveau - Lean on Me
Glass Tiger - Don't Forget Me
Australian Crawl - Reckless, Errol, Beautiful People
Simply Red - Holding Back The Years
Divinyls - Pleasure & Pain, Boys in Town
Guns & Roses - Sweet Child o' Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, etc.
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive, You Give Love a Bad Name, Livin' on a Prayer, etc.
America - You Can Do Magic
Berlin - Take My Breath Away
Bros - When Will I Be Famous

Better stop there, could be here all day.. :reject:

Dunno why, but I tend to remember the '80s more in terms of albums than singles...off the top of my head, and in no particular order (and not counting U2):

Replacements, Let It Be
Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation
Lou Reed, New York
Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Camper van Beethoven, Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart
Violent Femmes, Violent Femmes
Husker Du, New Day Rising
Tom Waits, Rain Dogs
Pogues, Rum Sodomy & the Lash
Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique
Sinead O'Connor, The Lion and the Cobra
Cars, Shake It Up
De La Soul, 3 Feet High and Rising
REM, Lifes Rich Pageant
Prince and the Revolution, Purple Rain
Joe Jackson, Night and Day
Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense (I know, a live album)
Peter Gabriel, So
Kate Bush, Hounds of Love
Pretenders, Learning to Crawl

Last edited:
I've been having an 80s revival too and it definitely included Erasure. Thanks for sharing all this stuff, it will help me continue the revival.

I know this may be completely geeky, but I don't think I've seen this on the list and its one of my 80s faves: Slave to Love - Brian Ferry.

Back
Top Bottom