5 - # of Straya threads or # of times Melbourne has been crowned world's best city

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ohh you mean why would he be Abbott's deputy when it destroys his own chances? Although he's just sided with Tone...

Both of these are real tweets from fringe MPs, fucking amazing

[TWEET]643310827735412736[/TWEET]

[TWEET]643348714518523904[/TWEET]

The Ricky Muir one cracked me up. Of COURSE Lambie led with "beeeyooootiful Tasmania".

I love how Abbott's now trotting out Kevin Andrews and Eric Abetz in a show of force. What force? They're flogs who'd have nothing under anybody else.

Cobbler where did you get that Morrison has sided with Tone? The Age is reporting that he's visited Abbott but has made no announcement yet, which I read as support for Turnbull.

Maybe Abbott/Abetz could be a ticket. Wait, is Abetz a senator?

Yes. Lib Senate leader, no?

Truss has just trotted out his line from earlier this year that his coalition agreement is with Abbott, aka the "hi we're the Nats please pay us attention we are over here waaahhh" card.

No word from Pyne yet? I'll be surprised if he backs Tone.

Settling in for an interesting night

There is a part of me that wants Turnbull to win tonight and prove a popular Prime Minister, perceived to be successful, for at least one term, to alienate the increasingly loud far-right. It could kill off the most conservative arm of the liberal party for good, and isolate flogs like Bernadi, Andrews etc to feral minor parties like Family First, Rise Up etc....the rusted-on conservatism of the party may diminish, and could represent overall a momentous shift of Australia to the Left. A successful Turnbull could redefine the Liberals as less atrocious and it may give scope for Australia's very own Corbyn to emerge in Labor?

On the other hand, Abbott holds on and fumbles his way to a miserable election loss, but we're left with a compromised Shorten in 2016, which'll prove to be a pretty limp and inconsequential centrist government.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

5 - # of Straya threads or # of times Melbourne has been crowned world's best...

Yes I suppose my one concern is that if Abbott survives and Shorten wins next year on account of not being Abbott, instability will continue and it will be a one term ALP government. But that's a hurdle to tackle when it comes. The priority remains to crush the Tories by any and all means.

Wonder how long tonight will drag out. This gig will be an early finish but will I emerge to a new PM?

Bernardi and Nikolic claim the base is rallying for Tone. Probably bullshit to pull backbenchers into line, but if true the base is even dumber than I thought.

I would not get too carried away with any notions of Malcolm remaking the Liberals in his own image (whatever that might be). It takes a lot more than a few months in the job to do that. Howard spent the better part of two decades shaping this party.

Surely it's lose-lose for Tone. He holds on, it's by a bee's dick and division is at an all-time high.

Totally agree.

I see Morrison's office has confirmed that he is supporting Tone. That surprises me. I can't fathom his motive, unless he believes he is bound by cabinet loyalty. He would surely be treasurer under Turnbull? (What an awful outcome if so.)

Party room meeting will be 9:15. There are two MPs who will be absent - one is in flight right now!

I'm starting to think Mr Rabbit might hold on. Frankly, that would be the best outcome, if immediately unsatisfying.

All numbers are spin at this stage. Abbott's camp noticeably more vocal than Turnbull. Is that confidence from the latter? Panic from the former? Or the opposite?

Guess we will know soon.

That Sinodonis bloke blew a top on shit he's been sitting on for clearly a long time.

And the Canning bloke... fuck me. Young Liberal incarnate. Only *I* can STOP ICE.

I almost feel sorry for Hastie. Almost. No matter what happens Canning is now likely to be a disaster for him. Hahaha.

Every time I see that candidate, I think of Tom Hanks in Bachelor Party: 'did you take time out from your Hitler Youth rally to be here?"

Settling in for an interesting night

There is a part of me that wants Turnbull to win tonight and prove a popular Prime Minister, perceived to be successful, for at least one term, to alienate the increasingly loud far-right. It could kill off the most conservative arm of the liberal party for good, and isolate flogs like Bernadi, Andrews etc to feral minor parties like Family First, Rise Up etc....the rusted-on conservatism of the party may diminish, and could represent overall a momentous shift of Australia to the Left. A successful Turnbull could redefine the Liberals as less atrocious and it may give scope for Australia's very own Corbyn to emerge in Labor?

On the other hand, Abbott holds on and fumbles his way to a miserable election loss, but we're left with a compromised Shorten in 2016, which'll prove to be a pretty limp and inconsequential centrist government.

Does someone as leftist as Corbyn even exist in the ALP?

Does someone as leftist as Corbyn even exist in the ALP?

I sometimes thought Garrett, Gillard and Faulkner showed glimpses - but the problem with the ALP is that they suppress anyone from coming across as too leftist.

Back
Top Bottom