(12-02-2003) Bono to be Honored for Humanitarian Work -- AP *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono to be Honored for Humanitarian Work

ATLANTA - U2 lead singer Bono will be recognized for his humanitarian work at an awards dinner hosted by the family of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

The Irish rock band's lead singer will be honored at the 2004 King Center "Salute to Greatness" awards dinner Jan. 17 in Atlanta.

"We are fortunate this year to honor Bono for exemplifying many of the qualities that my husband, Martin, indicated were imperative to moving our society into the beloved community of which he so often spoke," said Coretta Scott King, King's widow and the founder of the King Center.

Mrs. King pointed out Bono's work on behalf of Third World debt relief and on focusing attention on the AIDS crisis in Africa.

"He has focused mass public attention on the world's poorest continent and lobbied politicians around the globe to take action," she said in a statement.

On Saturday, Bono participated in a World AIDS day concert hosted by Nelson Mandela in Capetown, South Africa.

-- Associated Press

Tickets are on sale for this event at $200 donation. I'm considering it....He'll be there...right?

Ok cool, thanks. Yeah I would really like to go, just wish I knew for sure that he would be there. But it's so rare that he's near FL, I guess I might just have to take my chances.:shrug:

I'm going to this event. Anyone else here, going? Any ideas what I can do while in Atlanta for the weekend?

:yes: :heart: Why would Bono miss this One?? Atlanta huh? hmmm, where is it being held? $200.00 isn't bad at all, as it is for charity, if you have it! Too bad we all didn't get together earlier, have a bunch of car washs and bake sales and 'buy' a whole table for us to sit at! imagine what Bono would think to see a table of U2 fans cheering him on for this honor? wow-it was just a thought-there is power in numbers!!:wink:

forbonou2 said:
:yes: :heart: Why would Bono miss this One?? Atlanta huh? hmmm, where is it being held? $200.00 isn't bad at all, as it is for charity, if you have it! Too bad we all didn't get together earlier, have a bunch of car washs and bake sales and 'buy' a whole table for us to sit at! imagine what Bono would think to see a table of U2 fans cheering him on for this honor? wow-it was just a thought-there is power in numbers!!:wink:

That would've been cool. :).

Too bad I live too far from there-I'd love to go to this event.

Angela

forbonou2 said:
:yes: :bono: i hear ya Moon! I hope we see this on ET!!

Yeah, we'll have to keep an eye out on mention of this. Perhaps People magazine or something will mention it later, too.

Originally posted by forbonou2
And of course, a good report from any who go to this event!!

I can't wait to hear from the people who go. It's gonna be such a lovely report, I'm sure.

Originally posted by forbonou2
Yeah Bono! He deserves this award!:up: :applaud:

He certainly does. I'm so proud of him. :).

And if Martin were still alive, I'm sure he'd be just as proud of Bono, too.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom