(01-29-2004) Republicans Blast Bono - Rolling Stone.com - * - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News > U2 News Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Yes, i agree Moon-and isn't it interesting how people 'judge others by what they do, but themselves by their good intentions'!! This should be so Over and done with!!!! I guess some people just have too much 'idle' time available! Ain't it a shame!

Old 01-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #17
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 02:11 AM

Okay I may well be showing my age here but this whole issue just makes me want to play Anthrax' "Startin' Up A Posse"......
really loud....
outside Michael Powell (coincidence, Colin Powell's son? I think not)'s house....
at 10 at night.....

they wanna waste all this time and raise fines to THREE MILLION US DOLLARS per incident...
so the FCC can protect people's delicate sensibilities.

meanwhile, rapists and murderers get paroled and go out and do it again because there isn't enough money to keep track of them all. Just like we had here in Massachusetts recently.

SO many more issues we could be spending this kind of time and money and energy on. Ludicrous.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

What took them so long to go after Bono? Back at the 1994 Grammys, U2 won a Grammy, and Bono made the acceptance speech saying that they would "continue to abuse our position and fuck up the mainstream."
This does not make any sense at all.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!

I am getting tired of this continually coming up. It was on our local news last night. They can ban every kind of offensive word from TV but it is ultimately up to the parents or adults to teach and emphasize to their children that it is not the proper language to use. If they arent exposed to it via the media they are going to be exposed to it in the real world eventually.

There are far more serious issues going on in this country and the world that need more focus than what you can and cannot say on TV. When will people get priorities straight?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:56 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by forbonou2
Yes, i agree Moon-and isn't it interesting how people 'judge others by what they do, but themselves by their good intentions'!! This should be so Over and done with!!!! I guess some people just have too much 'idle' time available! Ain't it a shame!
Exactly. And yeah, it's very interesting.

Like others have said...Bono's done so much good stuff for this world, it's such a shame some people decide to not focus on that aspect of him. He's a really nice guy, and would never intentionally offend anybody, and that's something these people yelling at him should realize. Excuse him for being happy to have won an award.

Also, well said, Kariann and wolfeden. .

Angela
Old 01-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Like others have said...Bono's done so much good stuff for this world, it's such a shame some people decide to not focus on that aspect of him.
Good point, Moonlit.

I am so super sick of this. I can't even... just... bleh.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:37 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Rolling Stone Magazine got the title wrong. Republican's are not blasting Bono, they are Blasting the FCC's ruling on this particular use of the word.

If the title had said, "Republicans blast FCC", no one would have read it and the article may not of even appeared here even though it would mention Bono and the Golden Globes.

Its not surprising that many Republicans are concerned about. There are millions of people in this country that do have a problem with four letter words being said on TV.

I'm not one of them though, but I also realize that it can be offensive to a lot of people regardless of how it is used.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

i hate... HATE people who blame every little thing wrong with society on television, music, movies, etc. nothing pisses me off more. my kid shot someone 'cause they played the video game Grand Theft Auto... my kid paralyzed the neighbor 'cause they watched WWF Smackdown... my kid curses 'cause he listens to eminem... my kid killed himself because he listens to ac/dc... my kid shot up the school because of marilyn manson...

it's all a load of crap... and anyone who says that their kids are gonna start cursing because bono let an F bomb slip on live television is full of crap, too. that being said, i am 100% for this law... for fines based on indescensy on the airwaves. i always agree with the argument new york shock jocks opie and anthony used to abide by... "if you don't like the content of the show, change the channel." well i'd like to think the arguement goes both ways... if you want to hear shows with the full use of the english language, curses and all... turn on hbo. turn on showtime. put on a dvd. but if we don't keep some of the airwaves clean, then what? where do we change the channel to?

the knock on bono is overkill. it wans't his fault, it was the network dump guy's fault for not being on top of it and letting it slip out. even "live" tv is on at least a 2 second delay. that being said, if someone kills someone but didn't mean to do it, they're still going to jail. if bono breaks a law and curses on public television, he should pay the fine and get over with it.

and again... i bet ya if i started a thread where i cursed in every other word, someone would close it... yet some of the same people who would close my thread for being indecent think that the republicans are wrong for wanting to enforce the law in this situation... very very interesting.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:49 PM   #24
Refugee

I'll bet even the FCC is sick of this already!
.... and what did Diane Keaton say again?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:07 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:11 PM
piss is a bad word ?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i hate... HATE people who blame every little thing wrong with society on television, music, movies, etc. nothing pisses me off more. my kid shot someone 'cause they played the video game Grand Theft Auto... my kid paralyzed the neighbor 'cause they watched WWF Smackdown... my kid curses 'cause he listens to eminem... my kid killed himself because he listens to ac/dc... my kid shot up the school because of marilyn manson...

it's all a load of crap... and anyone who says that their kids are gonna start cursing because bono let an F bomb slip on live television is full of crap, too. that being said, i am 100% for this law... for fines based on indescensy on the airwaves. i always agree with the argument new york shock jocks opie and anthony used to abide by... "if you don't like the content of the show, change the channel." well i'd like to think the arguement goes both ways... if you want to hear shows with the full use of the english language, curses and all... turn on hbo. turn on showtime. put on a dvd. but if we don't keep some of the airwaves clean, then what? where do we change the channel to?

the knock on bono is overkill. it wans't his fault, it was the network dump guy's fault for not being on top of it and letting it slip out. even "live" tv is on at least a 2 second delay. that being said, if someone kills someone but didn't mean to do it, they're still going to jail. if bono breaks a law and curses on public television, he should pay the fine and get over with it.

It's all old news; Bono has a sordid past of cursing on live television. If they were gonna get so uptight about it they should go after the censor who let it slip through.

If my kid started using language like that, I would start checking myself before going after Bono and Eminem, because not only do I have a trash mouth, but they'd interact with me a lot more than them.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:55 AM   #27
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Headache, I agree with you mostly. Except the mod part
I'd be probably the most right mod here, give or take, and wouldn't have much of a problem with it. It goes along the lines of your changing the channel theme of opening another thread if it bothers anyone. The only reason I'd ever care is cos of the youngin's on the forum.

That said though, I find it equally interesting that you for example, as at least part republican might see rhyme and reason in this whole swearing issue, yet would have no problem putting it on a privately owned, yet fully publically viewable forum?
My friend, it is indeed interesting...

As for Bono/the FCC/swearing on tv etc, it isn't really necessary is it? It'd be nice for at least some places to be vulgar language free and I'm no prude. This whole thing of Bono being missed for what work he does do, is kinda interesting too. Some people would watch this show and think 'gee, another potty mouthed rock star. how typical'. The music industry doesn't have exactly the greatest reputation for having some of the most clean living and upstanding citizens. Swearing, no matter how unintentional or inconsequential, isn't going to help that image. Not that it matters, I know...
Old 01-30-2004, 10:07 AM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
That said though, I find it equally interesting that you for example, as at least part republican might see rhyme and reason in this whole swearing issue, yet would have no problem putting it on a privately owned, yet fully publically viewable forum?
My friend, it is indeed interesting...
touche'
Old 01-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Idiots. With all the problems in the world they are griping about one word? Politics these days is reduced to the significance of thirty second sound bites on the evening news and other such trivial pursuit. It burns me up!!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:11 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

i do believe they care about other things... just because they care about this also doesn't mean they're only concearned with this issue. to say otherwise is just silly. politicians obviously have many issues to deal with... from trivial matters to life and death matters... some are obviously more important, all must be dealt with.