(01-19-2004)-U2 Nearly Split by the Hand of God - ShowBiz Ireland *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
U2 Nearly Split by the Hand of God...

A new documentary entitled Legends, which will be screened soon, will give an insight into U2's travels in the USA in the early 80's and how they nearly split up for religious beliefs.

A fascinating documentary, which will be screened soon on Sky's Biography channel, will reveal how U2 nearly broke up when Bono, Larry Mullen and The Edge joined a born-again Christian Group.

In 1981, as the band toured the US, they began attending meetings with a Christian Group called Shalom which encouraged them to give up their Rock n Roll life style.

Luckily they stayed together but things could have been so different. Bono explained: "What we went through in the early eighties was a kind of baptism of fire. We went down to the water and nearly drowned in it. Our heads were under the water."

The progamme Legends will track the highs and lows of U2's career over three decades and will highlight the numerous times they nearly broke up

http://www.showbizireland.com/news/january04/19-u2158.shtml

This could be very interesting, depending on how the program is done...perhaps they have eyewitness accounts of how the band was emotionally torn or other info we've never heard before.

And here is the Big Question: Will U.S. fans get to see it?!?!?

I think it's possible we have already seen it. There was a VH1 special called Legends, about U2, that I've seen twice. It did focus a fair bit on the times they almost broke up. This must be it; it's hardly "new". Also, did you notice that the article makes it sounds like the Shalom fellowship was U.S. based ("as the band toured the U.S., they began attending..."), when of course it was a Dublin group? It's Showbiz Ireland, so what can you expect?

Based on the quote they are using from Bono about the potential break up, it is indeed The VH1 Legends show. That show only went up to the release of the first Greatest Hits, so it will be interesting if they do the ATYCLB/ELEVATION years.

STING2 said:
Based on the quote they are using from Bono about the potential break up, it is indeed The VH1 Legends show. That show only went up to the release of the first Greatest Hits, so it will be interesting if they do the ATYCLB/ELEVATION years.

I BELIEVE THIS IS THE VH1 LEGENDS SHOW. IT WILL SOON PREMIERE OUTSIDE THE US.....THERE IS A NEWER VERSION THAT HAS BEEN SHOWN IN THE US ON VH1 THAT INCLUDES A SMALL PART AT THE END ABOUT ATYCLB---IN THE STUDIO, ETC....

FOR THE MOST PART THOUGH, IT IS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL.

I like being a U2 snob. It's about the only thing I'm snobbish about, but i am :). This reminds of me when Bono and the Edge were doing a "live" segment on either VH1 or MTV before the release of ATYCLB, and they were answering questions. One of the calls the producers allowed through was a guy asking Bono why he had such a strange name! Holy crap! How many fudging times must Bono or the Edge be asked dumb questions?

Regina O'Numb said:
[The progamme Legends will track the highs and lows of U2's career over three decades and will highlight the numerous times they nearly broke up

I thought the early years issue mentioned in this TV programme and recording of AB were the only two occasions the band almost broke up.

The VH1 Legends was updated when ATYCLB came out and they talked briefly about that album at the end of the show.

agentmissa said:
Did anyone see, on VH1, the story behind One. They said that the song was about turmoil in the band. :mad:I also get snobbish about U2 topics. Can't trust journalism any more.

The song "One" is somewhat about turmoil within the band during the recording of "Achtung Baby," it's also about 1,000 other things. Anything on VH1 isn't journalism, it's more about entertainment than providing an un-biased account of events.

:wink: yeah, it can get Real old going over the same old facts! It would be more interesting if that bit about the band almost breaking up over religious beliefs had something New to add to that!! And there is a problem when they rehash the same ol' facts over and over-the story changes?:huh:

dsmith2904 said:

The song "One" is somewhat about turmoil within the band during the recording of "Achtung Baby," it's also about 1,000 other things. Anything on VH1 isn't journalism, it's more about entertainment than providing an un-biased account of events.

That's what I'm saying, it just wasn't about that. I would like to think U2 is beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom