(01-18-2004) Bono Honored by King Jr.'s Widow -- AP *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Honored by King Jr.'s Widow

ATLANTA - As a teenager in Ireland, when violence and unrest were escalating because of the conflict over Northern Ireland, U2 front man Bono longed for the voice of reason from somebody such as the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Those thoughts and understanding of King's teachings and life led the singer to write a song about the slain civil rights leader, a 1984 hit called "Pride (In the Name of Love)."

"We despaired for the lack of vision of the kind Dr. King gave to people in the South," Bono said Saturday before accepting one of the highest honors from the King Center, the organization founded by King's widow, Coretta Scott King.

"We are fortunate this year to ... honor Bono for exemplifying many of the qualities that my husband, Martin, indicated were imperative to moving our society into the beloved community of which he so often spoke," Coretta Scott King said.

The Target Corp. received the same award for its charitable work around the country.

Bono was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize last year for his work to relieve third world debt and promote AIDS awareness. He is the founder of Debt AIDS Trade Africa, which works with religious groups concerned with global disease and hunger issues.

"When Dr. King spoke about having a dream, he wasn't just talking about an American dream. It can be an African dream, an Irish dream," Bono said. "That's why I'm excited to be here."

-- Associated Press

:bow: "When Dr. King spoke about having a dream, he wasn't just talking about an American dream. It can be an African dream, an Irish dream," Bono said. "That's why I'm excited to be here." - this call for all!

Back
Top Bottom