You Can Buy Your Own ONE Shirts Now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jamila said:
stars, did you check WHAT I'm doing?

check the link

And I guess everyone needs to throw your ONE bands in the garbage - this is no different.

Just another way to get the message out.

I'm sure the People who are suffering in Africa don't have a problem with a little commercial publicity if it helps their lives.

Let's CO-EXIST.

Love and Peace. :yes:

I don't feel I personally said that you don't do anything active. Everyone here knows you do! When I said "It's not what you wear it's what you do" I was speaking more so to the collective whole here on Interland.

Yes, I wear a ONE wristband. And it's a great visual tool for a very important emergency. I was more speaking to the fact that I hope people that do wear a wristband/tshirt do so because it is something they truly care about and are actively involved in, not because it's a fashion statement or something.

Will I get the shirt? Probably. But I don't NEED it to do what I am doing though.

To each his own. :shrug:

starsgoblue said:

I don't feel I personally said that you don't do anything active. Everyone here knows you do! When I said "It's not what you wear it's what you do" I was speaking more so to the collective whole here on Interland.

Yes, I wear a ONE wristband. And it's a great visual tool for a very important emergency. I was more speaking to the fact that I hope people that do wear a wristband/tshirt do so because it is something they truly care about and are actively involved in, not because it's a fashion statement or something.

Will I get the shirt? Probably. But I don't NEED it to do what I am doing though.

To each his own. :shrug:

:up:

And the thing is, I'd feel kinda weird wearing a ONE t-shirt b/c though I fully support the cause, I'll admit I know very little about it and am not actively involved with the ONE campaign the way I am with other organizations. For example, Edun clothes...now there's something I'm much more familiar with and understand the economics behind. As a business communications student, I'ev taken plenty of classes for econ and business management, so Edun is something I can feel more attached to. Same with DATA...I've done way more research from that perspective and have attended DATA events in the past. There's only 24 hours in a day and I'd rather put my engery towards one or two organizations/campaigns than try to dip into all of them. But like stars said, to each his own.

Everyone has their own opinions. There's really no need to fight over it. If you want to support a cause that's great! If you want to wear a t-shirt or a bracelet that is up to you. Let's not judge each other just because of what we do or what we wear.

EPandAmerica said:
On the coexist site, I can't seem to find a link to actually purchase anything.

:help:

You can't purchase from their site. You have to go to the list of retailers and go to one of the stores listed in or near your area.

In points because its errlie in the morning.

1. A tshirt with a message eg "Stop The Bloody Whaling". "No Nukes", "Free Nelson Mandela", "Coexist" sends a message. "One" does not. If it has to be explained then its brand marketing not protesting/raising awareness/educating.

2. The consumerism basis of owning One and Edun gear grates. People can support these causes without purchasing the products. The person who does so is no less a supporter than the person who has purchased the gear.

3. Motives in regards to wearing One paraphernalia or Edun clothes to a U2 show I find irritating. If you want to own and wear this gear because you can afford it and believe in the concept, then good but deliberately wearing it so Bono can see you wear it is a shallow, selfish act and far, far removed from the original intentions of the campaigns.

4. I don't profess to know Bono, only Bono knows Bono, but I'm sure that he would consider not only all fans equal but all people equal. Bono would not have risen so far in politics if he was a bigot.

beli said:

1. A tshirt with a message eg "Stop The Bloody Whaling". "No Nukes", "Free Nelson Mandela", "Coexist" sends a message. "One" does not. If it has to be explained then its brand marketing not protesting/raising awareness/educating.

2. The consumerism basis of owning One and Edun gear grates. People can support these causes without purchasing the products. The person who does so is no less a supporter than the person who has purchased the gear.

3. Motives in regards to wearing One paraphernalia or Edun clothes to a U2 show I find irritating. If you want to own and wear this gear because you can afford it and believe in the concept, then good but deliberately wearing it so Bono can see you wear it is a shallow, selfish act and far, far removed from the original intentions of the campaigns.

4. I don't profess to know Bono, only Bono knows Bono, but I'm sure that he would consider not only all fans equal but all people equal. Bono would not have risen so far in politics if he was a bigot.
:yes:
Agreed (# 1 especially)

beli said:

Beli I only agree with you on Bono and his fans. I think you have a very different view of this whole thing. And it just doesn't mesh with my view on the whole thing.

But I can say live and let live. We each do what we feel is right and it won't bother the other person. This is the type of issue I'm not going to try to change someone on. Its not worth it. Buying a t-shirt or not is not life changing.

It does impress me though that we don't have a bunch of sheep type people here that will just do anything because someone thinks its cool. Someone asked me earlier if i would pierce a certain body part. I said no thank you. Then they asked me if I would let Bono do it. My answer is still heck no! It got me to thinking though, there are some pretty strange things people will do in the name of fandom.

Supporting EDUN is purchasing the goods. EDUN is a clothing line designed to bring fair commerce to developing countries. Personally, EDUN stuff is priced too high for my current budget, but I do think it and other fair trade minded products are a step forward.

beli said:

1. A tshirt with a message eg "Stop The Bloody Whaling". "No Nukes", "Free Nelson Mandela", "Coexist" sends a message. "One" does not. If it has to be explained then it's brand marketing, not protesting/raising awareness/educating.

I agree. By the definitions of "marketing", this is 100% correct.

I have ONE t-shirt that I got for volunteering with the campaign at one of the San Jose shows. I just checked the made by tag and sadly, :ohmy: it is made in Haiti (hopefully not a sweatshop). I was seriously thinking of buying about 10 shirts for my friends who are walking with me at AIDS Walk San Francisco this coming July. I was thinking they would be great conversation starters with other walkers. Anyone know for sure where this batch is made? I'm going to contact my local DATA person and try to find out.

Back
Top Bottom