Vertigo Flash Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
people have been cheeting playing this - hence the scores being so high, anyway...the competition is bound to be pulled.

anyway i put this together...

this is what happens when you cheat on the vertigo game:

http://www.xmlf.rrhosting.com/u2/vertigo/

enjoy :)

lol, ta

they're cheating (beware, technical jargon) by creating a custom html file that embeds the flash movie and enabling the right-click menu. that way they can stop/rewind/forward the game. they forward to level 4 (the t-shirt level), get the points, rewind to the start of the game (which resets the time but not the points)

another way would be for them to use a Flash decompiler so that they can see all the source code and therfore the code that submits your score to the database.

damn cheats!

the game owners (i.e. U2's management) will pull the competition anyway because the scores are just beyond the ridiculous now.

flash games are never a good idea unless appropriate security is implemented. either U2 are too trusting towards their fans or Adam's brother's web development company sucks! give me a job!! what a dream job for me, a web developer, working on U2 stuff!

That game is crazy! :lol:

... and thanks, ewen, for explaining why the high scores was so extremely high! I started to think that it was me there was something wrong with :reject: ... and :lmao: at your 'this happens when you cheat'-video! :D:up:

ewen said:
lol, ta

they're cheating (beware, technical jargon) by creating a custom html file that embeds the flash movie and enabling the right-click menu. that way they can stop/rewind/forward the game. they forward to level 4 (the t-shirt level), get the points, rewind to the start of the game (which resets the time but not the points)

another way would be for them to use a Flash decompiler so that they can see all the source code and therfore the code that submits your score to the database.

damn cheats!

the game owners (i.e. U2's management) will pull the competition anyway because the scores are just beyond the ridiculous now.

flash games are never a good idea unless appropriate security is implemented. either U2 are too trusting towards their fans or Adam's brother's web development company sucks! give me a job!! what a dream job for me, a web developer, working on U2 stuff!

Cool, thanks for explaining! :)

I'm more of an old school HTML kinda gal, so I only know how to, um, h*ck (what is now) very basic sites. (All I really do is steal audio & video files :D.) But I've never quite learned all the in's & out's of Flash... I've got Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, etc.... But I never use them! (What a waste of perfectly good software! lol)

Anyhoo, ta again!

Cheers :)

biff said:
Ewen, that is fabulous!!!!

(Edited to add: What's that building behind you? It looks familiar.)

It's some renovated building in the city of Riga, Latvia. The photo was taken on holiday this year.

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.

dream chaser said:

Cool, thanks for explaining! :)

I'm more of an old school HTML kinda gal, so I only know how to, um, h*ck (what is now) very basic sites. (All I really do is steal audio & video files :D.) But I've never quite learned all the in's & out's of Flash... I've got Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, etc.... But I never use them! (What a waste of perfectly good software! lol)

Anyhoo, ta again!

Cheers :)

just realised that the developers failed to take into consideration that many people use other internet browsers such as Netscape or Mozilla. You wouldn't have had to go the efforts I described previously to cheat since in these browsers the righ-click menu was still enabled....tut, tut. I really hope Adam's brother is reading this....if so can I get a job or contract please working on U2 stuff....pretty please.....with sugar on top!

ewen said:
just realised that the developers failed to take into consideration that many people use other internet browsers such as Netscape or Mozilla. You wouldn't have had to go the efforts I described previously to cheat since in these browsers the righ-click menu was still enabled....tut, tut. I really hope Adam's brother is reading this....if so can I get a job or contract please working on U2 stuff....pretty please.....with sugar on top!

d'oh!

Sounds like they could definitely use you! :up:

Hey, guys, I wanted to try this out. But right now I have one computer issue. On the bottom of my computer iot says "1 item remaining" and I think that is the main to play this game. But computer is fine, I just would like to know what you guys think. Thank you.:hug:;)

Excellent video, Ewan! It seems u2 could really benefit from your coputer skills:happy:
And this is for those who cheated and ruined the competition for the rest of us :madspit:

Cute Irish Bono said:
Hey, guys, I wanted to try this out. But right now I have one computer issue. On the bottom of my computer iot says "1 item remaining" and I think that is the main to play this game. But computer is fine, I just would like to know what you guys think. Thank you.:hug:;)

Do you have the latest Shockwave Plug-in?

Here's a link to test if you do: www.macromedia.com

Last edited:
ewen said:

damn cheats!

Clearly this is the way the current top scores were achieved. No one would/could spend the time to replay the game over and over to get a score of more than 11 trillion...would they?? I don't necessarily think they have to pull the contest though...just make it a random drawing from all those who played the game and entered. For all we know that was the original intention anyway...it doesn't say anywhere on the site that the highest scores win. Before doing this, however, I would throw out all the entries that had a score in excess of 3,000 points. I'm not sure it's even possible to get this high a score without cheating, but anything higher is clearly impossible. Why reward the cheats even in a random drawing?

Last edited:
atikicat said:
I would throw out all the entries that had a score in excess of 3,000 points. I'm not sure it's even possible to get this high a score without cheating, but anything higher is clearly impossible. Why reward the cheats even in a random drawing?

:up:

They reset the score boards on both the u2.com and cd:uk Vertigo games. Wonder how long it will last? I determined that the maximum score anyone can acheive on this game now without cheating is 1660 points. This is basically impossible, because to do this you would have to pick up every point from every red object in the game and do it fast enough (without dying) to still receive the full 1,000 point bonus given by the red marks at the end of the game (the longer it takes to get there, the smaller the bonus is).

When you start seeing scores of 1660 and higher...you'll know the cheaters are back! :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom