Time Man of the Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I was watching The Today Show this morning (as always) and they had the editor from Time magazine on. He was talking about the possibilities for man of the year...I was surprised that Bono wasn't mentioned. Any thoughts here?

For Man of the Year, TIME usually picks someone who's in a political office. I don't think they usually pick cultural figures, even if they should. They claim it's the most influential person of the year. It'll be interesting to see who they pick for 2002.

time.jpg

OMG.....this designation is not exactly flattering! Yes, they named Hitler one year; they chose Stalin at least once, I think, and they chose Khomeini (questionable spelling), the Iranian leader who took the hostages, in 1979. They can choose the most odious people. So it's certainly no disgrace not to be chosen. :no: :no:

verte76 said:
OMG.....this designation is not exactly flattering! Yes, they named Hitler one year; they chose Stalin at least once, I think, and they chose Khomeini (questionable spelling), the Iranian leader who took the hostages, in 1979. They can choose the most odious people. So it's certainly no disgrace not to be chosen. :no: :no:

They're not just choosing good OR bad guys.. they're choosing the person who made the biggest impact, good or bad, on lives, or the world, that year. Or at least that's how I perceived it.

Last edited:
elevatedmole said:

They're not just choosing good OR bad guys.. they're choosing the person who made the biggest impact, good or bad, on lives, or the world, that year. Or at least that's how I perceived it.

That's right. It's not "who do you like?" It's whoever they think had the most influence on world affairs. They don't always pick one person. One year they chose the earth as the Planet of the Year when they didn't feel like picking a politician. In 1989 they chose the people of Eastern Europe People of the Year after they kicked out their communist dictators and had elections, etc, etc. This can be interesting!

adamswildhoney said:
I wonder who they would choose for Man of the Year!! if its not BONO!!!!!

Hmmm...They mentioned George W. Bush and a few other politicians that I can't recall at the moment.

Yeah, when I was talking to my mom about this, she said, "Well, he WOULDN'T be chosen because it's usually a politician and somebody who is more in the political arena" or something to that effect.

:hmm: Oh, yeah...He also mentioned Osama Bin Laden, the terrorists, and corporate scandal.

:shrug: Who knows?

verte76 said:
Good grief, Osama bin Laden, other terrorists, corporate scandals....I'd rather not be grouped with this stuff!! Yuck!!:no: :no:

:huh: Yeah...It's like high-profile...in good and BAD ways, I guess.

Hitler was man of the year once...

Back
Top Bottom