This Magic Moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Looks like a few people around PLEBA need some cheering up, including me. So, I'm starting this topic to distract us all and take us to that warm U2 fuzzy place. And here it is:

Describe that moment when you realized that because of U2, your life would never be the same---that moment when U2 or one of its members lit a fire in your heart that still burns.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

This is a good idea! Oh, I'm feeling the fuzzies already. *love* Okay... Maybe when I bought Pop. I hadn't even listened to it yet but I feel like that's when it started, buying my second album. Probably it's just in hindsite. lol But that's all I can think of.
confused.gif

I bet you girls have better stories.
biggrin.gif

I just thought of something else... When I had all thier albums bought and a number of videos, I realized how special they really were to me.... And when I flew to Salt Lake City... There's a collection of moments.
smile.gif

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

[This message has been edited by On The Edge (edited 02-06-2002).]

There were a few magic moments in the early 80's, but the FIRE started one night, laying in the dark listening to JT (on vinyl
wink.gif
)through the headphones, ... Running to stand still came on and I was transported to a place that I haven't left yet!

well Im kinda young so,But it must haven been In July 23 1997 when Popmart finally reached Sweden and Gothenburg and there was this 50000 people and it was kinda cool and all, and then The Edge started strumming out the chords to the epical "Pride" and I was just looking around with my mouth open like??WTF???

And I didn?t think that I would have such a strong feeling again but this summer at the second show in Stockholm I was after the first show praying to get to hear IALW live but I was in heaven right from the start my eyes started welling up to the intro chords og NYD but I was able to hold it back but when Bono started talking about Joey Ramone I realized it was no use holding back and I just broke down crying but it got a little better then came the next blow WOWY and my Eyes got all wet again! And then I knew that Popmart wasn?t a single moment of joy!

------------------
"Master of sexual innuendo"

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

when I first heard Streets I knew that this was something special. I remember when I heard the song for the first time and all I could think was - WOW - who the hell is this.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Hi all,

I just registered, so I figured this would be a good way to introduce myself.

Anyway, first U2 fuzzies was back when W/WO You came out, I was 12.... Damn Bono was sooooo hot in that video with the long hair..

It was love at first sight
smile.gif

I liked With or Without You, One, and Mysterious Ways a whole lot, only knowing U2 did With or Without You. As soon as I found out they did the other 2, my causual liking of the band started to grow into an obsession, and hasn't stopped yet.

------------------
I liek milk!

I was already a huge fan, but it became something more in 1997 when I saw the POPmart show here in Toronto. I remember standing in the dark, and cheering with thousands of other fans when the Pop Muzik started. Seeing the boys in front of me for the first time (Even though I was very far away) I knew that I was a part of something huge. That feeling was intensified both times that I saw them on the last tour, and again when I started coming here!!

------------------
***Spinny***
Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????

Originally posted by daisybean:
Hi all,

I just registered, so I figured this would be a good way to introduce myself.

Anyway, first U2 fuzzies was back when W/WO You came out, I was 12.... Damn Bono was sooooo hot in that video with the long hair..

It was love at first sight
smile.gif

Welcome to the fray, daisybean!
biggrin.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

in 97, i'd been a fan for almost 10 years but i'd never been able to see the band live. so for Christmas, my parents got me tickets to the PopMart show in San Diego. 7th row, Adam's side.

i remember being so excited....watching all the concert vids and i'd finally get to see it first hand.

at my first glimpse of Bono, i started bawling. i couldn't believe it was HIM, in the flesh.

although i was a huge fan before that, there's no turning back after you experience U2 live.

xoxo,
chelsea

My husband is a big fan of U2 so he was always playing their CDs, and I loved their music. About 3-4 years ago, he got the Zoo TV video and was watching it regularly. One night I watched it with him and was mesmorized. I thought all the members were so hot, especially Bono. Every song they sang, I was like, duh they sing that song, I love that song. I guess I never put two and two together until I saw them performing. I guess my obsession started then. After I saw them live in concert last year, I really became more obsessed. I just love this band and their music. No other music act has ever made me feel that way.

It was in the 80's, I don't remember exactly when. They were on TV so much I kind of took them for granted. U2 have become a part of my life, like real friends. Since Elevation, I know I love them even more, and always will.((((SOFT AND CUDDLY HUGS FOR U2))))))

------------------
"I was born a MacPhisto"

I have loved U2 since the JT days. When I heard their music, it was unlike anything else on the radio. I was hooked. As I have "grown up" with them and have learned more about them, their lives, their concern for social justice, ... I fell even more in love with them.

I may joke a lot about my crush on Bono, but above all, I respect them as artists and and people. They are four of the coolest people on the planet.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

Oh, good question..
I am positive it was when I first saw U2 live -- Minneapolis, May 1st, 2001.
smile.gif
I had liked them for awhile before that and such, but I didn't know too many songs and I didn't have any albums to listen to really (my mom had lost her copies
tongue.gif
). And my mom and aunt were big fans, so we went to Minneapolis for the concert -- and all I could think of was WOW. I swear, it was even before the beginning of Elevation that I just knew this would be great. And then when Elevation STARTED.. I thought,"They are so great! They are so wonderful! This is the best thing ever!" .... needless to say, I walked out of that show swearing that was the best experience I'd ever had.
biggrin.gif
Now I've been to 7 more concerts, have all the albums and everything -- I just plain love U2.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

The first time I REALLY fell for U2 was when I first saw the Streets vid. Then I knew I had to get a ticket to the JT show in Toronto, even though it had been sold out for months.

After paying the scalper for the tix, we sat in our distant bleacher seat. It was early October, and FREEZING beyond belief. I thought it would be UNCOOL to bring a blanket to a conert, as my mom suggested. Big mistake. We were literally numb, and when you see footage of that show, you can see the steam coming out of Bono's mouth.

Anyway, there were technical difficulties, and the band didn't come on until 10:00, maybe even later. When Streets came on....well, the feeling was pretty indescribable. Bono said "we're going to warm you up!" and my God did they ever. I only knew about 4 songs at the time, and was so crushed that I couldn't sing along with everyone else or get as excited as they were about songs I'd never heard of. I remember one guy screaming "It's Sunday Bloody Sunday!" as though he'd pop a blood vessel. I also remember everyone singing "You've gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking..scream without raising your voice" and wandering out of the stadium with everyone singing "HOOOOOW LOOOOONG" and I knew I was a part of something HUGE.

From that day forward I was completely transformed.

P.S. My crazy make believe world began quite literally the next day, when I told all my friends at school that I had received a phone call from U2's manager "ummm....John Carson!" )(I didn't know much about them as you know) who wanted me to give a tour of Toronto to "Cousin Edge!" and everyone believed me! LOLLLL!

can you girls stand to hear my story again?? Cos yer gonna!
biggrin.gif

(after a foolish 10 to 12 year self-imposed U2 hiatus during the 90s...)
Early May 2001, chatting with coworker, he mentions he'd gone to see U2 a couple nights before in Dallas--I FREAK OUT, because I didn't even know they were touring!
mad.gif
I'm SO crushed at my own stupidity, that, as a consolation prize, this same coworker loans me his video of the "Best of U2 1980-1990" and....OMG.
eek.gif
WHERE HAD I BEEN??? I was completely swept away by the video of UF, and must have played that video tape 20 times that weekend.

The U2 bug had bit, and bit HARD.

I started buying anything and everything U2-related, and when I saw the AB video with Edge in those bedazzled pants in the Fly...!?!
eek.gif
Well, that was all she wrote on THAT. I was now completely and utterly a full-fledged Edge girl!

Then, I discovered Interference and my life took on an entirely new twist (oh...there's actually a world outside Interference?).
wink.gif
From all of the great new friends I've met, I found out the guys were doing another leg of the tour and come hell or high water, I WAS GOING TO SEE THEM!!!

The rest is history...I got to see them 3X--in Vegas, LA3 and Dallas. I met so many wonderful U2ey people. I got awesome pictures. I met Dallas School - he gave me an Edge pic. I MET THE EDGE IN PERSON! I am a very happy woman.

I continue to collect "all things U2," and the more I learn about U2, the more respect, love and adoration I have for them. There simply never has been, and never will be, another group of guys like them!!!
1luvu.gif

*+*disco*+*

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 02-06-2002).]

Even though it's snowing here, your stories are making me feel all warm and fuzzy!

So, here's mine.

I had been a casual fan of U2 for a long, long time. I owned four or five of their albums and loved their music, but didn't consider myself a die-hard fan.

One night in college, I went downstairs to my friend Josh's dorm room to see what he was doing. I was bored and not really feeling like doing homework. He said, "Oh, I'm just watching U2's ZooTV concert." So I sat down and watched a little bit. I knew almost all of the songs, but they sounded so different live. Seeing Bono as the Fly, and then MacPhisto was mind-boggling. The men had such attitude, such...swagger. Dressed in uniforms with lemons over the pocket, they were all so amazing. And I admit, I thought the drummer had it goin' on!
biggrin.gif

But underneath all the television screens and make-up, I could see the music. I could see how they felt about the music. Running to Stand Still blew me away. Love Is Blindness made me just die. And at the end, Bono's falsetto in Can't Help Falling in Love---it took my breath away.

That night changed everything. I took all my birthday money (about $100) and spent it on U2. I upgraded all the cassettes I previously owned to CDs, and bought the albums that I didn't have. Things have never been the same. Now I'm married to Josh and my fandom of U2 has since surpassed his.

As someone else said, here at PLEBA we make a big deal of how hot we think the band members are, and that's a lot of fun. But the bottom line for me is that these four men make astounding music that reaches inside me and ignites the fire of my spirit. I recently read that the only way to find your path is to set your soul on fire and follow the light. For me, U2 keeps that light burning, and for that, I thank them.

Everyone's stories have been great. Keep 'em coming.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by PrincessBadgirl:
Then there was a recent relighting of the u2 flame with walk on, my parents split up at the time and that songs lyrics sustained me. especially the lyrics:
Home - hard to know what it is if you never had one
Home - I can't say where it is, but I know I'm going
Home - that's where the hurt is

First I have to say that I just had one of those magic moments right now, specially reading your post Princess. My parents just split up after 32 years of marriage, my dad moved this weekend. I love Walk On but have never really "got" the lines you just recited, when I read them now, and at the same time listenting to WOWY, it made me once again realize that for every moment in life, U2 has a part.

Now to the other magic moments. I have never, like many others had one moment or turn that totally changed my life. U2 has kind of sneaked into my life and gotten bigger and bigger. I first became a fan 1992 after listening to AB and I hated it at first but something got under my skin and I just couldn't stop. I went to Zoo TV the year after and was blowned away. After that it was a few "down years" I was still a fan though.
One thing that I really remember is as Lemonboy said, the Popmart show in Gothenburg (which was august 2nd, by the way, it's this summer the show is July 23rd.
smile.gif
) I had seats, because I wanted to enjoy the show without having to fight for my space. Several times during the show I just started to cry and the security came up to me asking if I was ok, weren't they good? and I was like OMG I'm crying out of joy, admiration etc. When the show was over I couldn't move. I was there with my friend who likes U2 but are not a fan (she is my biggest supporter when it comes to U2 though and I love her for that!) I asked her to just sit down with me and I cried, and cried and cried. The only thought I had in my mind was that I HAVE to see them again. That was a very strange feeling, to have that need. So I made it real. Made a deal with four guys I've never met that was passing by Gothenburg to see them in Oslo, Norway four days later, to get a ride with them. In Oslo I made my way to the first row and after that, no more seats for me.

Then they just have become a bigger and bigger part in my life. Elevation has not only been a tour like any other, it has changed my life, helped me to grow as a person. I have since the first show I saw in Toronto in May felt a special blessing for every show I've seen, I haven't been lucky, but blessed and when I a couple of weeks ago got to know that the tour was blessed by a minister that has followed U2 since the beginning, after the last rehearsal in Miami, everything just felt so natural and aha, that's where that feeling is coming from.

To be a little bit personal. I've been thinking about what u2 are to me much lately and when I look back to when U2 came into my life a short while before I "broke up" with God. Now when I look back it's like if God let go of me but gave me U2 to fall back on and find comfort and answers in instead. He has been working on me through U2. One day I might be ready to have my own communication with God, I don't know, but right now I have U2 to "translate" and communicate with God for me. This is deep, I know, it's late here and you always get philosophic at night so take it for what it is.
smile.gif

Oki, this is a few of my magic moments, there are so many, nowadays I almost get them everyday while listening to them.
smile.gif

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
I recently read that the only way to find your path is to set your soul on fire and follow the light. For me, U2 keeps that light burning, and for that, I thank them.

Beautiful... perfect! Yes.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

oooh I know!!! That video started a life long fetish of mine for men in tight black jeans. And if a man plays guitar AND wears tight black jeans (not skin tight, but snugly form fitting) I am putty in his hands!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75:
to continue my story...
I really fell hard for them when the Red Rocks concert aired and well that was all I needed, I was hooked for life: (Bono and tight black jeans
eek.gif

Originally posted by MissZooropa:

I have since the first show I saw in Toronto in May felt a special blessing for every show I've seen, I haven't been lucky, but blessed and when I a couple of weeks ago got to know that the tour was blessed by a minister that has followed U2 since the beginning, after the last rehearsal in Miami, everything just felt so natural and aha, that's where that feeling is coming from.

Great, thought-provoking reply, MissZooropa. I love the philosophical stuff! I totally understand the "blessed" feeling of seeing a U2 show. During the last show I saw in Dallas, the guy next to me and I really bonded while we sang along and danced and jumped around. During one of the more inspiring songs (perhaps One or Bad) he grabbed my shoulder and yelled, "This is so blessed. This is so blessed." Yes, it was.
smile.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Very cool post
smile.gif
Heartland Girl...i'm in your building(Kaufman)twice a week...cool office piccy;p

I've had a few "magic moments" with this band and their music. The most recent one was the 3rd leg Dallas show. I went to it with my best friend from primary-high school and we hadn't seen each other in a year and a half. This was her second show and first one in the heart and it was a major bonding experience. Anyway, during one we were holding hands and singing along with our eyes on the names pouring down the screen. I'm not sure why, but during that song i reached out for the hand of the fan next to me and ended up starting a human chain. It's hard to explain, but at that moment i "got it"...i knew with my head the importance of loving my neighbor but hadn't felt it in my heart...i just felt extremely warm and it seemed like my blood was rushing..i felt alive...i've only felt that extreme one other time..and it was a night at church when I had a charismatic experience...it's hard to articulate, but at that moment I felt love, I felt connection and I felt joy...all at a rock concert...
One other magic moment I remember was back when I first got into the band. I had arranged a ride to the San Antonio popmart and while we were riding there he played his Sarajevo bootleg. I wasn't expecting it but as I listened to that CD I just started shaking and laughing praying and crying all at the same time. I had never responded that way to music before and it blew my mind a bit..I think that might have been the moment that I realized this would be my band......

when I was about seven- in the early ninties, I heard bullet the blue sky and ever since then I've been trying to figure that song out, its the only one that I have to think about for a few minutes when I hear it.

Then there was a recent relighting of the u2 flame with walk on, my parents split up at the time and that songs lyrics sustained me. especially the lyrics:
Home - hard to know what it is if you never had one
Home - I can't say where it is, but I know I'm going
Home - that's where the hurt is

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
First I have to say that I just had one of those magic moments right now, specially reading your post Princess. My parents just split up after 32 years of marriage, my dad moved this weekend. I love Walk On but have never really "got" the lines you just recited, when I read them now, and at the same time listenting to WOWY, it made me once again realize that for every moment in life, U2 has a part.

To be a little bit personal. I've been thinking about what u2 are to me much lately and when I look back to when U2 came into my life a short while before I "broke up" with God. Now when I look back it's like if God let go of me but gave me U2 to fall back on and find comfort and answers in instead. He has been working on me through U2. One day I might be ready to have my own communication with God, I don't know, but right now I have U2 to "translate" and communicate with God for me. This is deep, I know, it's late here and you always get philosophic at night so take it for what it is.
smile.gif

I know how it feels to lose God in your life because I too am that way. But for me U2 always has a alot of underlying religious harmony about the things I chose to deal with and things I didn't deal with and in the end I am always happier to realize that Bono saw religion the same way everyone does.

P.S. glad I helped ya with the lyrics
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by PrincessBadgirl (edited 02-07-2002).]

Originally posted by popsadie:
Very cool post
smile.gif
Heartland Girl...i'm in your building(Kaufman)twice a week...cool office piccy;p

Ha ha! Glad someone noticed!

For those who don't go by my office every day (for obvious reasons
wink.gif
) I have a Zooropa era pic of the guys up in my office window for the world to see... just spreading the U2 love to hundreds of unsuspecting students and faculty every day.

Loved your moments, popsadie. The guy next to me in Dallas was, I'm pretty sure, a U of Texas student. If U2 can bring us together, they can bring anyone together.
biggrin.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:

Describe that moment when you realized that because of U2, your life would never be the same---that moment when U2 or one of its members lit a fire in your heart that still burns.

yeah, okay, mine's short.. I haven't seen them live yet, even though I live about five minutes from Notre Dame (but that's a different story... grr), so I don't have any live fuzzies.
So, mine would be when I bought my first album and listened to it and nothing else for two weeks solid. That's when I bought my second
smile.gif

Well this is going to sound really goofy. Anyway.

When All That You Can't Leave Behind was released, I was living about 6000 miles away from home, I didn't have any of my family there, I'd just lost someone I loved and I'd honestly never been so sad or desperate or lonely. (just to get the depressing background in there.) One day I was out shopping at a mall and I decided to treat myself to a new record. I'd heard Beautiful Day a few times and liked it (and ironically enough, I'd thought something along the lines of 'how dare you be singing such a happy song when I'm feeling so fucking crap?' but liked it anyway) so I decided to get All That You Can't Leave Behind.

So I got back to where I was staying that night and started listening to the record. I think that is my favourite music-related memory ever. It was as if someone sat down next to me and gave me a hug, saying it was going to be okay, and took my hand and said 'come on, I'll show you the way out of here.'

So. I said it was unbelievably goofy. And I know a record can't really show you how to deal with things that are going wrong in your life. But it can definitely give you the hope and motivation and inspiration to work out how to deal with them for yourself.

::::major U2 fuzzies::::

Back
Top Bottom