PLEBA Misc News, Stories and Articles #9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sentence infers (implies?) that the tour would start in June.

Grammatically speaking, yep. And logically speaking it would make sense, if the album drops in april, it'd be pretty stupid not to ride on that enthusiasm by starting ticketsales a few weeks later. Same trick they did for the past bunch of tours. So ticket sales in april-may, tour starting late june in the US, probably till july, august-september in Europe, october-november 2nd leg for US or possibly ROTW?

So what does this actually mean, that the tour will begin in June or just the ticket sales will begin in June?!? I'm having a discussion on Twitter as to the proper interpretation of this statement!?! :hmm:

Sales of tickets for their world tour, which is due to begin in June, really do

if it were ticket sales, then grammatically it should say "which ARE due to begin..." as sales is in the plural (unless the writer's grammar is up the creek)

^I think they mean the tour will be starting in June, but don't forget that this is the same media that claimed Ordinary Love would be released on 30 October, so take it with a huge grain of salt. It doesn't sound very realistic to me, unless U2 plan to start ticket sales BEFORE the album comes out, which I doubt very much will happen. Album by the end of March will most certainly mean a promo tour in spring, maybe summer and possibly an arena tour in fall. That's just my theory.

if it were ticket sales, then grammatically it should say "which ARE due to begin..." as sales is in the plural (unless the writer's grammar is up the creek)

Well exactly, is it a grammatical error or what?! I'm refering to the previous sentence, in which the writer talks about the sales of U2's album, then goes on to talking about tickets sales, so I assumed June is when the ticket sales will start!? But I might be wrong!! :shrug:

^I think they mean the tour will be starting in June, but don't forget that this is the same media that claimed Ordinary Love would be released on 30 October, so take it with a huge grain of salt. It doesn't sound very realistic to me, unless U2 plan to start ticket sales BEFORE the album comes out, which I doubt very much will happen. Album by the end of March will most certainly mean a promo tour in spring, maybe summer and possibly an arena tour in fall. That's just my theory.

I know exactly, it's more likely that the ticket sales will start in May/June rathter than the tour itself. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see which interpretation is correct!? :wink:

It seems very weird to me that an article about U2 and a new album would mention a tour on-sale date and not a tour start date itself.

It sounds to me that the most rational explanation is that it's the tour start date, because why would they list an on-sale date without the other?

Well exactly, is it a grammatical error or what?! I'm refering to the previous sentence, in which the writer talks about the sales of U2's album, then goes on to talking about tickets sales, so I assumed June is when the ticket sales will start!? But I might be wrong!! :shrug:

i personally don't see any ambiguity myself in the way the sentence is structured, and assume it means the tour is starting in June, but who knows

I know exactly, it's more likely that the ticket sales will start in May/June rathter than the tour itself. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see which interpretation is correct!? :wink:

Why do you consider it a grammatical error? It's grammatically correct and there's no other meaning to it than that the tour starts in june....

Article highlight: Sales of tickets for their world tour, which is due to begin in June, really do."

Sales of tickets for their world tour really do. This is the basic sentence.
,which is due to begin in june, is a side sentence(don't know the exact English term for it), which refers to the word that came before it. In my last sentence you can see I used the exact same format, and the last part refers to the word sentence. As in the original one it refers to world tour.
If they would refer to the ticket sales, it'd be worded differently and it'd have to be plural, as mama cass already stated.

Does that make it any clearer?

Geez pardon me for trying to explain something you actually asked about. :|

No I don't mind you joining in with the discussion but just that very last remark you made came off as very condescending but if you didn't mean it like that then, my bad! :(

Also the reason why I'm finding this sentence so confusing is coz the Finnish language doesn't regonize pronouns like "it" and "are" so the sentence literally translates as "ticket sales for the world tour, is scheduled to start in June"!? So whether it's me getting caught up in translation or the writer being grammatically incorrect, saying "it" when they meant "are", or not, we'll just have to wait and see! :shrug:

i think it's simply a "lost in translation" issue then... honestly, the English is perfectly clear and correctly structured if the writer meant the tour was starting in June... whether he/she has got his facts right though is another matter altogether ;)

I don't actually believe it yet, since its (no offense) a brazillian magazine who wrote it.
And they tend to write a lot of beepshit. But I'd really like it to be true. :D I like footy.

That article is from september and was posted here back then as well. Since then we haven't heard a thing from it, so I highly doubt it is true. :lol:

The Brazilian magazine, and the journalists that kept posting this nonsense over the summer, never cited any reliable sources to back up the claim. I think U2 was asked but they didn't agree to it. (I think Beyonce and Paul McCartney are the headliners.) Take everything coming out of Brazil with a grain of salt until they actually provide facts to back up their claims.

I like this song SO much! I've been listening to it on heavy rotation yesterday while at work and after I got home last night. It's so good to hear a new U2 song again after all this long time :heart:

that guy must really crave attention or something... it's disturbing...

I put a phoney Bono alert on my Facebook page. yesterday, when I started seeing photos of our old imposter at this Dreamforce converence! :angry: I just feel so sorry for the poor people who he comes into contact with, having their photo taken with him believing he's the real Bono and posting the said pic with pride on social networks! :tsk: Coz when they eventually find out, that he is just an imposter, some of them not wanting believe what you're saying, most of them are very upset and humiliated at being duped by this guy! :rant:

NOT COOL DUDE!! :shame:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom