oh, the pain! (those of the male sex beware...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just took two extra strength advils because, yay, it's that time. but, i can't complain, either, because i'm off to the hospital because my best friend is about to give birth to her first child. i'll take my period cramps any day, thank ya!

dandy said:
i just took two extra strength advils because, yay, it's that time. but, i can't complain, either, because i'm off to the hospital because my best friend is about to give birth to her first child. i'll take my period cramps any day, thank ya!

:yes: - after seeing someone in labor the whole period cramps seem like a walk in the park

sending out some prayers for your friend and the little one

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I think it's the naproxen b/c I've never had heartburn before and this only happens after I take naproxen. And the MORE I eat, the less pain there is. Once I googled "ulcer" and on the page I read, I had every single symptom described :ohmy:

I was on 550mg naproxen for 5 years and what you are feeling IS the naproxen. It did wonders for my cramps but I ended up with the same pain you described and it ended up being worse than the cramps.

I no longer have a uterus :wink: so cramps are not a worry anymore but I'm still naproxen sensitive...even Aleve gives me the burning sensation.

Just be careful and if the pain gets worse and worse, you may have to ask your doctor to switch you to something else.

starsgoblue said:
I drink. A lot. :wink: "self-medication"

Hmm that is what I usually do at that time of the month to....:tongue:

On a more serious note...I have to Quote Steven Tyler who said that if men bled tampons would be free...and I unfortunately find this very true....

:hug: to all of you wonderful girls of PLEBA!

Last edited:
nanavancouver said:

Unfortunately, even four didn't do it for me. The hysterectomy seemed to cure it.

:up:

I've had 2 wonderful, cramp free years since mine.

Vicoden's not bad either :wink:

Hey girls - I have found aromatherapy really helps. Watch out for ibuprofen, it builds up in your system over time - I started getting blisters on my FACE after using it regularly for a couple of years! Not a good look.

Mine still lasts six days, but I used to always be two days in bed, unable to walk, nauseous, cramps, aching swollen (o)(o) ...blah blah ... now I use a blend of massage oils and find I can cope with a couple of ordinary painkillers on the second day and OK the rest of the time.

In a 50ml glass bottle of carrier oil (sweet almond oil is great)

Rose - 7 drops
Chamomile - 6
Clary Sage - 7
Basil - 5

I use this a couple of days before & during 'hell week, massage on belly & back (over the kidneys) morning & night.

I feel better & get compliments on my gorgeous perfume! :wink:

Aromaweb has a simpler recipe for cramps:
http://www.aromaweb.com/recipes/speriods.asp

Really , if you're interested, there are loads of combinations possible as you're treating the symptoms, and of course we're all different.

Two fave book on the subject :

Aromatherapy for Scentual Awareness : Karen Downes & Judith White (lame title, but well written & effective recipes)

The Fragrant Pharmacy:Valerie Ann Worwood.

Have a kid I never had cramps again after I had my first baby!
LOL U2Kitten! My mum & sisters keep telling me that, the bitches - I hate kids!

Cheers ~Ultra

nurse chrissi said:
I can say that say you get a bit older things tend to become less painful/horrific ... the thing to do is see a GYN if you are having serious problems - not fun at all but at least you will get some help

Indeed. Last month, my hell week lasted 12 days! :scream: Bleeding like a stuck pig most of it, cramps, headaches, you name it. I thought I was starting menopause early, and that scared me. Luckily, I was able to get an appointment with a good GYN who told me she saw nothing wrong, and that at my age (36) the body does change, but it's not menopause, not for probably another ten years. Which is good, because though we're not planning on a second child, I'm not willing to close down the factory yet! :D

I also recommend Advil, or the generic version, and lots of good chocolate or your favorite treat. If you've got a cuddly cat or small dog who's willing to curl up on your lap and be a living heating pad, that's helpful, too. If not, a nice hot bath is good. Good luck!

Sue DeNym said:

Indeed. Last month, my hell week lasted 12 days! :scream: Bleeding like a stuck pig most of it, cramps, headaches, you name it. I thought I was starting menopause early, and that scared me.

that reminded me of something, and I think it's worth sharing...
my mom is menopausal and she's the queen of hot flashes.. she decided to try black cohash for it and it made her have the worse periods ever. She had the stuck pig thing going on for over two weeks. So, food for thought for any women of such an age.

Mine were usually around 10 days before I went on the pill. It was annoying.

I might mention what you said to my doctor because my aunt (a blood-related aunt) had breast cancer before she was 30. Is that procedure expensive? :(

I am not sure what it costs, because in Canada, we have coverage, and so I don't get a bill for it. The automated sequencing is relatively expensive, it might be a couple of hundred bucks. But otherwise, it's not complicated, just a blood test, then they ficoll your blood, separate it, make RNA, make DNA, PCR, sequence it.

If you have a history of breast cancer in your family testing for BRCA genes is a great idea because if you have a mutation, you know that your likelihood is significantly increased, and therefore you can make sure you are screened more often than the general population, and God forbid if you get it, it can be caught early.

:)

Two things that are unusual but have worked: Bikram Yoga, but you have to be doing it regularly. And a couple of years ago I tried Accupuncture which worked for a friend, but you have to get right before that time of month, and it helped a bit. Another friend says the rise in Endometriosus is due to an overbalance of hormones and she has used a cream that rebalanced her system. I can't remember if it was Estrogen or Progesterone though. I can find out if anyone is interested.

It's the most wonderful time of the month

Happy happy joy joy :dance:

My remedy today was looking at Jude Law for two hours in Alfie. I highly recommend that remedy :D

Have a baby. It really helps. Before I would see blue and throw up...but it cleans you out. It works.

It's still a hell week just because of minor cramps and the inconvenience, but nothing like before.

It works, seriously...that's a cure doctors agree works.

One word, std tests. They have to stick something in the little hole....
yowsers....

two words, pelvic exam *shudder*

Thank God when I went to my Dr. to get birth control he said I didn't need a pelvic exam after all. I wasn't planning on one until I got there and saw all the...er...instruments laid out on the table and was like "shit!" and then my Doc came in and was like "uh....I don't think I told you we were going to do this and I don't really feel like doing it so you can get dressed again". Phew!

Last edited:
nurse chrissi said:
I think we may of come up with a sure fire way of getting the guys out of PLEBA:)
There are guys in PLEBA? (Well, straight ones, at least?)

Originally posted by Mrs Springsteen
It's the most wonderful time of the month

Happy happy joy joy :dance:

My remedy today was looking at Jude Law for two hours in Alfie. I highly recommend that remedy :D
:laugh: Who wouldn't feel better after that? :drool:

two words, pelvic exam *shudder*

Thank God when I went to my Dr. to get birth control he said I didn't need a pelvic exam after all. I wasn't planning on one until I got there and saw all the...er...instruments laid out on the table and was like "shit!" and then my Doc came in and was like "uh....I don't think I told you we were going to do this and I don't really feel like doing it so you can get dressed again". Phew!

:sad: :sad: :sad:

I dread that appointment more than anything in the world :(

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Back
Top Bottom