Jordan going to Harvard???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vm72

The Fly
I don't know if this was already posted but just in case.....

‘Right on daddy…Bono’s girls are chip off the old block…but taller’
by Joanne Hegarty, Chief Showbusiness Writer
The Irish Mail on Sunday 2/12/08

When your rock-star dad is one of the most famous people on the planet, he must be one tough act to follow. But his two daughters seemed to be taking it all in their stride yesterday when they turned up with him for an international conference in Dublin on global climate change.
Dressed casually in dark skinny jeans and woolly scarves, Jordan(18) and Memphis Eve(15) trailed behind their campaigning father as he arrived on foot at the Royal College of Surgeons just after 11am. Giggling and texting on their mobile phones, Bono’s rock-chick looking daughters almost went unnoticed by the large crowd of campaigners and press that gathered.
Rarely pictured at a public event, the girls have inherited their mother’s good looks and their father’s grungy dress code. Unlike their diminutive dad, however, the girls don’t seem to have any height hang-ups and decided to keep their feet firmly on the ground in flat shoes. Bono apparently toured Harvard University this summer in the hopes that his eldest, Jordan, who shares his May 10 birthday, would become a student there one day.
Bono has never made a secret of his love for the American lifestyle and owns a €4m Manhattan apartment which, presumably, Jordan will use as digs. That’s if she makes the grade of course.Memphis Eve attends a private southside secondary school. Bono has always prided himself on being a good father and says he has a close relationship with his daughters and tries to drive them to school as often as he can. When he is not bending the ear of world leaders that is.
Jordan and Memphis Eve joined protesters opposed to the contentious M3 motorway being routed near the Hill of Tara and listened as their dad and former US president Al Gore were called on to back the demonstrations.

Well, Jordan is already be in her first year of college. She turned 18 in May, right? I guess that means she would have graduated in the class of 07. So, if she was with her dad that day, I would guess she's not in school at Harvard. I don't think they would have been out for their breaks that early. That article was written on the 2nd of December. Most colleges and univerisities here in the U.S. don't get out for the holidays until the middle of the month. Maybe she's going to college in Ireland or the U.K. . ETA: There is no way Jordan could live in Bono and Ali's apartment in NYC. Harvard is in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which is outside of Boston. It's at least a couple of hours away from NYC. There's no way any one could commute that distance to class every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jordan is student of Trinity College (Dublin)

Last edited:
Interesting, but I don't buy it...

and yet again, how friggin hard is it to get some FACTS right???
yet again they screw up with the ages.... :rolleyes: when two girls are born 2 years apart from eachother, one in may, one in july.... how could they possibly be 3 years apart in december?
Eve is 16...
and Jordan should indeed have finished highschool and go to uni/college already, so what girafe says sounds much more plausible to me!

Yeah, I think Trinity isn't bad ... it has quite a reputation.

Doesn't mean she'll not spend some time abroad in another college like most students do.

last unicorn said:

Doesn't mean she'll not spend some time abroad in another college like most students do.

It's really that popular for students from your country to study abroad? That's awesome! In the U.S. only 4% of college students study abroad, be it for a semester, year, summer, etc. It's unfortunate. I try to tell all my students to get some abroad experience. Hopefully that number will boost soon, as studying abroad has many advantages that I think some students are unaware of. I myself am not in the 4%, I've volunteered abroad, but not studied abroad. I wish I had though.

:yes: It's pretty common here, generally in Europe. Most students spend one or two semesters abroad and there are a lot of programmes supporting them. For some studies it's even obligatory. I work in science and we have a lot of programmes for students to go into other countries to work on their thesis or dissertation.

I'm just glad to see that they were protesting the expansion of the M3 which would be a horrendous situation if they built that close to the Hill of Tara, probably one of THE most sacred spots in Ireland!! (That is, if this article is indeed factual.)

unico said:

It's really that popular for students from your country to study abroad? That's awesome! In the U.S. only 4% of college students study abroad, be it for a semester, year, summer, etc. It's unfortunate. I try to tell all my students to get some abroad experience. Hopefully that number will boost soon, as studying abroad has many advantages that I think some students are unaware of. I myself am not in the 4%, I've volunteered abroad, but not studied abroad. I wish I had though.

Wowza I had no idea it was that low!! I don't know anyone I went to college with that didn't go abroad for at least a month (January term). I don't know what the numbers are for my school, but pretty much everyone goes for a semester or a January term. We have a "cross cultural engagement" requirement that's hard to get unless you spend time outside of North American and western Europe.

I for one find it really sweet that Bono, like any other parent, is attempting to live the life he wished he could have, through his kids. Of course he is happy where he is, but I get the feeling that if he didn't become a rock star, he wishes he could have gone to Harvard. Therefore, he is pushing for "Jo-Jo" to. I can see how, for him, he mit feel that as good a school as Trinity is, it might only be a jumping-off point. He must feel it is too provincial. An interesting attitude, if true.

I have to smile at the picture I get of the girls tagging along behind Dad at demonstrations and World Conferences. Again, a father's wishes.

I'd say to him, don't worry. They'll follow you in some way, I'm sure; but they need time to be the giggling chatty colleens on the cellphone first. You and Ali didn't have as much of that; you were poor and had to struggle. Jordan for one seems to be more like her mother and I can see her becoming like her in ten yrs time...driving trucks to Chernobyl. Eve I worry about, though. She's going to be a beautiful fish swimming in a sea of sharks. I'd say just her beauty alone might cause problems--if she probably hasn't had lessons from Uncle Larry in how to deal with being good-looking:). It'll be interesting to see where she ends up.

Listen to me, I sound like a parent! Well, it's disconcerting when you remember the first headline about Jordan's birth...*sniffle*

For me, there is no evidence whatsoever that Bono is "pushing" his children in any direction. This is pure speculation. On the contrary, I'd say he gives them much freedom, most of all freedom to decide things for themselves. With parents like Bono and Ali I'm sure the children are getting good lessions in freedom of opinion and speech and they have been brought up to have their own will. So I'm not worried here. I see them getting a lot of good education at home, one can only hope that at least one of them is interested in continuing the work Bono and Ali have been doing. If they want to do something totally different, it's fine also. The girls are old enough to make their own choices, and Bono, being such an individualist himself, wouldn't want it any other way I'm sure.

Liesje said:

Wowza I had no idea it was that low!! I don't know anyone I went to college with that didn't go abroad for at least a month (January term). I don't know what the numbers are for my school, but pretty much everyone goes for a semester or a January term. We have a "cross cultural engagement" requirement that's hard to get unless you spend time outside of North American and western Europe.

Yeah, that's a natural stat. You went to a small private school, right? Generally at the small schools (private and public) students are more inclined to study abroad. Like yours, many of them have it embedded in their curriculum. Which, is probably why I didn't. I went to a huge school and nobody I knew studied abroad. I was just a number so I just moved along.

Thanks vm72 for posting the Article :D Few mistakes in there about eves age .

I love to see photos thats if there any around of the event.;)

unico said:

Yeah, that's a natural stat. You went to a small private school, right? Generally at the small schools (private and public) students are more inclined to study abroad. Like yours, many of them have it embedded in their curriculum. Which, is probably why I didn't. I went to a huge school and nobody I knew studied abroad. I was just a number so I just moved along.

Yep, small, liberal arts so lots of things we are required to do outside of the major. Of course the school will talk up themselves for their academics and whatnot, but personally I think the off-campus opportunities are what set the school apart (they gave me a grant for part of the cost so I'm happy about that).

My friend is sad right now because her January term in Kenya was canceled the day before they were supposed to leave (last week).

Yep, lotsa unrest in Kenya right now.. :( Thankfully, in TZ they are unaffected by it. My friend is actually doing a semester abroad in Kenya and TZ and has reservations about going, but I reassured that TZ would be fine, my family hasn't felt the impacts of any unrest!

Babydoll said:
Yep, lotsa unrest in Kenya right now.. :( Thankfully, in TZ they are unaffected by it. My friend is actually doing a semester abroad in Kenya and TZ and has reservations about going, but I reassured that TZ would be fine, my family hasn't felt the impacts of any unrest!

Yeah, hasn't TZ been very peaceful for....like forever? We had no problems when we went, people seemed to get along better there than in the USA, that's for sure!!

Teta040 said:
I for one find it really sweet that Bono, like any other parent, is attempting to live the life he wished he could have, through his kids. Of course he is happy where he is, but I get the feeling that if he didn't become a rock star, he wishes he could have gone to Harvard. Therefore, he is pushing for "Jo-Jo" to. I can see how, for him, he mit feel that as good a school as Trinity is, it might only be a jumping-off point. He must feel it is too provincial. An interesting attitude, if true.

I have to smile at the picture I get of the girls tagging along behind Dad at demonstrations and World Conferences. Again, a father's wishes.

I'd say to him, don't worry. They'll follow you in some way, I'm sure; but they need time to be the giggling chatty colleens on the cellphone first. You and Ali didn't have as much of that; you were poor and had to struggle. Jordan for one seems to be more like her mother and I can see her becoming like her in ten yrs time...driving trucks to Chernobyl. Eve I worry about, though. She's going to be a beautiful fish swimming in a sea of sharks. I'd say just her beauty alone might cause problems--if she probably hasn't had lessons from Uncle Larry in how to deal with being good-looking:). It'll be interesting to see where she ends up.

Listen to me, I sound like a parent! Well, it's disconcerting when you remember the first headline about Jordan's birth...*sniffle*

:lol: Well she does seem to get the hitting things from him..she's been tearing plaster off her house for years as a drummer. Dunno. Larry's probably taught her the hose trick. Then again, I wouldn't place bets on any male getting past the uncles. If they're anything like my two were..well..life could get difficult.

As to the other thing, I'm pretty sure Bono's perfectly fine with his kids going to school abroad. It's not like he can't come see them when he wants. he doesn't strike me as the type to cling. /Larry/ might worry about it, but not Bono. He's more likely to go,"You want to go to Harvard? Great! Let's go." *whoosh* At least, that's my opinion, anyway..:p

Galeongirl said:
Interesting, but I don't buy it...

and yet again, how friggin hard is it to get some FACTS right???
yet again they screw up with the ages.... :rolleyes: when two girls are born 2 years apart from eachother, one in may, one in july.... how could they possibly be 3 years apart in december?
Eve is 16...
and Jordan should indeed have finished highschool and go to uni/college already, so what girafe says sounds much more plausible to me!

stalker much??????

she just waited a year..and we're a year apart.
im going this fall....unfortunately not to harvard.

tpsreports2424 said:

stalker much??????

:lmao: uh no. I just have a great memory for random facts...

:wink: and since I was born the same year as Jordan it's not hard to remember that eve was born two years later, and eli and john 10 years and 12 years later...

Back
Top Bottom