I still know there was something I had to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Phil had a phone interview with the panel at the Fort Myers YMCA today. He said they asked two "normal" questions, and the rest were like, "if you moved to Florida, who would you root for, Michigan or FSU? *giggle giggle*?" He is of the opinion that they either already decided to hire him so the interview was a formality, or already decided not to hire him so they didn't care. Hopefully the former, since he's already met with the guy he'd hypothetically be working for. If he gets the job, he has to move soon.

Did he said Michigan? :eyebrow: Our friendship rests on this. :D
Did he already have an interview with them before the panel interview? I'd think if they'd decided not to hire him after scheduling another interview (that being the panel), they'd cancel it instead of screwing with him.

If he gets it did you guys find any good apartment leads, or are you just gonna be like "um, find something good?"

In other news, I like how when I worked on campus there was a Matching Gifts Coordinator with minions under her and here *I* spent the day Friday filling out Matching Gifts forms.
I also like how tomorrow I'm required to go to the bar for work.

And that's my story.

Uh sorry I've been suddenly away for so long, my life's been a bit busy recently. And although you certainly completely forgot about my last post, I'll reply because the organisation freak I am can't stand leaving unreplied posts. :nerd:

Kristie said:

Your program sounds similar to the kinds of stuff I study... just more books and less digging holes :wink:

I had a paragraph about literature in scotland and national identity in the 19th century in my ceramics paper last semester... something about the novels of.. some guy whose name I can't remember (my paper's on my other computer) that wrote about scottish people, and the Scottish people really liked them, so the ceramics-makers started putting illustrations from the guy's novels on their plates and Scottish people bought them.
My paper was about why people bought certain patterns in the 19th century and what it can tell archaeologists when they find them.

everybody else: *eyes glaze over*

I think I read about those ceramics when visiting the Edinburgh Museum. Can't really remember the name of the writer, though. Any chance it's Walter Scott?
And no eyes-glazing-over on my part, I always dreamt of becoming an archeologist, and I still get a bit hyper whenever I enter a museum. Too much Indiana Jones movies when I was a kid, I guess.

BTW, sorry I'm so late, but happy birthday!! :wave:

Hippy said:
Don't stop! This kind of thing fascinates me... I'm a lit nerd too! Headed back to school this fall for my Master's and your topic sounds really interesting. Part of what I'd like to explore in my own work is along those same lines... how identities (mostly the personal and social identities) are built

Sounds really cool! Are you focusing on a specific era/area? In case someone's interested, here's the research proposal I submitted on my application form, but feel free to skip it! :shifty:
"I would focus on the beginning of the nineteenth century and work on a comparative study of Sir Walter Scott’s Waverley on the Scottish side, and of Lady Morgan’s The Wild Irish Girl and Maria Edgeworth’s The Absentee or Ennui on the Irish side. With these, I would work on the notion of ‘national tale’ vs. ‘historical novel’, and on the tensions between conciliation and nationalism in relation to the British politics of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. I would also study the ways in which these novels played a role in the shaping of the Irish and Scottish national identities, and may have influenced or gone against later nationalistic European movements outside the United Kingdom."

Happy Belated Birthday!! :wave:

Originally posted by Advah And no eyes-glazing-over on my part, I always dreamt of becoming an archeologist, and I still get a bit hyper whenever I enter a museum. Too much Indiana Jones movies when I was a kid, I guess.

That's so totally me... :uhoh:

Seriously!!! It's creepy :wink:

Advah said:

Sounds really cool! Are you focusing on a specific era/area? In case someone's interested, here's the research proposal I submitted on my application form, but feel free to skip it! :shifty:
"I would focus on the beginning of the nineteenth century and work on a comparative study of Sir Walter Scott’s Waverley on the Scottish side, and of Lady Morgan’s The Wild Irish Girl and Maria Edgeworth’s The Absentee or Ennui on the Irish side. With these, I would work on the notion of ‘national tale’ vs. ‘historical novel’, and on the tensions between conciliation and nationalism in relation to the British politics of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. I would also study the ways in which these novels played a role in the shaping of the Irish and Scottish national identities, and may have influenced or gone against later nationalistic European movements outside the United Kingdom."

:drool:

I'm such a nerd, but I love that! As an undergrad, I was *this* close to writing my thesis on Maria Edgeworth... especially "Castle Rackrent" and it's contribution to the development of the novel.

I like your proposal :up: Do you know if you actually get to do that? I'd be really interested in reading your papers, etc. :)

Thanks! They didn't say anything about it in my acceptance letter so I guess it'd be ok. And one of the brains/lecturer from the English Lit department helped me for the proposal, because I realised I had to write one about a week before handing in my application. Anyway I want to work on Irish & Scottish lit, and it was either that or the early 20th with MacDiarmid, Yeats and the cultural Renaissances. I like this subject as well, but since I'm not a native speaker it takes me too long to read books like these. So if they want me to change my subject, I'll play on that! :D

I like the 'Castle Rackrent' and development of the novel idea! Was it for an undergrad or masters thesis? And which authors will you be working on for your masters?

Mwaaahaaa talking about it makes me want to start working now, I think I'm gonna love my next year!:dance: Not to mention I didn't know anything about this literature before January so I still have plenty of things to discover yay!

BTW I'd be happy to send you my papers (and interested in reading yours :) ). The uni website must also have interesting pages.

guys
I need to learn dutch.
I also need to go to the Haag and do research, but that might have to wait.

I can sometimes muddle out what things mean 'cause it's similar to german, but I only can figure out maybe every third word.
Where do I learn dutch?
Aside from dutch people. But they'll teach me to speak it and I need to know how to write it.

Good luck! I can speak/read/write Yankee Dutch (which is basically English written with the way the sounds are spelled in Dutch), but I can only read regular Dutch, no writing skills. :(

Funny though, none of the guys I work with are Dutch and they can't pronounce or spell anyone's names around here. They constantly ask me how to say a name or, if someone gives their name, I have to spell it for them.

I'm trying a crappy online page that I found
it's free and has people saying the words
I'm hoping it won't be TOO hard... so far all the words are really similar to german, just maybe pronounced a smidge different

Do you have Soulseek (for downloading music)? I'm always searching for good audio books and every time I run a query for "audio book", I get hundreds of How To Speak ------ results. Maybe you could d/l Dutch for free :D

My toe got messed up about four months ago. It's gotten progressively worse. I've basically been dragging my right foot around the past few weeks.

I can walk with this puppy, but it's making my hip pretty sore right now.

I saw your pics in the pic thread, and ouch! :huh: Hope you'll feel better soon!

BTW, do you have any secret to keep your toes so perfect? :shifty:

omd.

It's been over two months since we've posted in here :(

I hope everyone's doing well! I'm officially in Boston now... I have my first grad class tomorrow afternoon. And I have severely underestimated the time it would take me to do the reading assignment lol Gotta get used to this school thing again.

And if anyone wants to visit, just let me know :)

So... how is everyone else?

:wave: Hey there! :)

:lol: Yeah, it's been a long time since we've posted in this thread . . . I was wondering if we had finally figured out what we were supposed to do :wink:.

My only Boston experience is going up there for one day on Memorial Day weekend last year on a whim to see U2 - didn't even bother with a hotel room, just slept in Logan airport (not a comfortable place to sleep, no couches to lie down on :shifty: ).

I hope you're first day went well today :up:.

Thanks Kelly :) It went really well... I have my work cut out for me.

And we'll have to remedy your Boston trip at some point... you'll have to come visit and have a comfortable (i.e. futon) place to sleep! :D

How are you doing?

kellyahern said:
. . . I was wondering if we had finally figured out what we were supposed to do :wink:

:laugh:

Well, I know I have to go to work now... just got my first job and I'm starting on monday! :hyper:

whoa!
hi!
I'm back from the tiny island now, but I haven't got a job yet or worked on my thesis 'cause my mom's having her hip replaced on Monday and I have to be her servant while she's recovering. I think I'm going to head down to the historical society next week and see if they have any jobs they want to give me, though.

I *might* be able to come see you if I ever go back to new haven for some reason or another.
I have a really nice map of Boston in my car...

Kristie said:
whoa!
hi!
I'm back from the tiny island now, but I haven't got a job yet or worked on my thesis 'cause my mom's having her hip replaced on Monday and I have to be her servant while she's recovering. I think I'm going to head down to the historical society next week and see if they have any jobs they want to give me, though.

I *might* be able to come see you if I ever go back to new haven for some reason or another.
I have a really nice map of Boston in my car...

ooooh, I hope the mom does well after her surgery. And how did you like the tiny island? Did it end up being as awesome as it looked? :)

And you better come visit me if you get the chance! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom