I kick ass at belly dancing!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
Normally I wouldn't be one to toot my own horn, but I am just TOO psyched!!!!
biggrin.gif

I just got back from my first ever belly dancing class. The girls in my class were mostly babes with olive skin and long dark hair. I was as white and pasty as a sheet of phyllo dough. They had gauzy skirts and jingly coin belts and earrings. I had a ballet leotard and practise skirt. Needless to say, I kind of stood out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, they instantly knew I was a ballet dancer and said I looked very "professional". They were a very sweet and welcoming group. The whole class was so much fun!!!

Since they are just preparing for their recital, I spent most of the class mimicking what they were doing. Ballet really does prepare you well for all dancing types. Belly dancing certainly has its challenges, but after the brutality of ballet, it was a piece of cake. In the break one of them even said "we've been doing this for months and she's better than all of us already!" Which of course isn't true, but I was very good! I am better at belly than ballet! The reason is I have very slithery hips/ribs. I'm always being criticized for it in ballet class, and here I get to wiggle like a fish lure.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do this permanently, but at least I have a good idea of the major steps/movements. If I EVER get pulled on stage, I am READY!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mrs. Edge this is GREAT news!! yayyyy!! i KNEW you'd rock!!

way to go w/ the fishy ribs! lol- i loved your description, I was able to understand it perfectly (and i dont know much about ballet besides that word pilei i used in the story about u and edge and um i cant even spell it right)

but thats so awesome! you're def gonna have to share your secrets! and i can't wait to see you work your moves on the edgemister.
smile.gif
smile.gif
yayyyy!

------------------
And everyone needs the music 'cause everyone needs relief.

* U2 Take Me Higher *

Mrs.Edge!!! Nice hearing from you!!
smile.gif

Alright! A PLEBAcite who really has the right moves to Shake it- shake it!
biggrin.gif

Hey: If you go to a concert maybe you could advertise your self with something like : "Hey Bono: tell the Edge I can dance in Mysterious Ways, I can prove it"
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

that is awesome. I am happy to read that a PLEBA is taking belly dancing classes. It motivates me even more to sign up and take some classes. I do not have any formal dance training under my belt, so hopefully it will not kick my ass! Anyway, that is great. Keep it and report back on your progress. By the way, how long are you signed up for this class?

Ahh!! That is sooo awesome Jess! I hope you get on stage now- you will be sooo sexay workin' the moves on Edgie! Seriously, I'm proud! Dammit, are you gonna be @ Vegas? If so, I'm pissed b/c I won't be there anymore!
mad.gif
But go to LA 3 ok?
biggrin.gif

Way to go!! Morleigh best watch herself!
wink.gif

WOO HOO Jess of the slithery hips!! LMAO! That is so cool...I'm so happy for you and can't wait to join you so we can compare wiggles...you just toot that horn, girlfriend!
wink.gif

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:
Normally I wouldn't be one to toot my own horn, but I am just TOO psyched!!!!
biggrin.gif

The reason is I have very slithery hips/ribs....here I get to wiggle like a fish lure.

*Thinks of Jess' Mr. Edge*
*Thinks of Jess' slithery hips*
*Thinks of Steve grinning like Bono on stage with the evil Morleigh*
*Runs away giggling*

um...HIP HIP hooray???
wink.gif

Disco

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 11-12-2001).]

Originally posted by Ana:

Hey: If you go to a concert maybe you could advertise your self with something like : "Hey Bono: tell the Edge I can dance in Mysterious Ways, I can prove it"
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I'm glad the belly dancing is going so well! You have to use your skills to dance for the Edge now- it's time for some belly dancing in Vegas!

Hey Mrs Edge, I got one question for ya!

Obv. last night I came across a wee section on a tape of the dancer here in NI, and shes fecking brilliant, but is it advisable to go, even if you have a wee back problem? Back prob meaning the lower part of my back can seizure for 10 mins, and I cant ever move........much......
frown.gif

wonder if that would go against me, or help keep it supple?????????

smile.gif

Thanks, guys!
biggrin.gif
What a supportive, enthusiastic group of friends!! xoxoxox

I am going to have to conduct a dance class for Pleba girls right in the GA line! I'm sure the male interferencers will have a blast watching that!

Olive, the spelling is Pli?. You are so cute!!!!

Ana, you have brought up something I was thinking of asking. I beseech the Pleba girls for help in coming up with a snappy sign that somehow combines all my millions of messages, including that I didn't get to dance w. Edge in Montreal, but I want to dance FOR him in Vegas (as well as the rest of the band!) and not to put 15 years of dance training and one belly dancing class to waste, and that I can't play guitar but I've still got soul, etc, etc.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas for a sign, I would be all ears!!!

MissVelvetDress, I think that belly dancing probably comes naturally for a lot of women, and you should definitely try it. It seems to be a dance form that doesn't require formal dance training (that just helps speed the process along), you just learn the technique and do strengthening exercises in the class. Go for it!
smile.gif

As for me, this class was a free lesson that I got for attending my friend's recital. I am really not sure what to do about joining. it takes an hour each way to get there, and I think I'd have to go twice a week! I'm already so busy with ballet and other activities, I just don't know....but then again they get to perform, and that would be fun. But I'd also have to listen to this Middle Eastern music all the time (not Mysterious Ways oddly enough!), and it's good in small doses, but I don't know that I could stand it that much! Plus, the costumes cost a FORTUNE!!!! A basic practise outfit alone would be about $200 and a Morleigh type costume would be in the thousands! Bleeeeeech. But belly dancing sure is a way of feeling feminine. The other interesting thing is that unlike ballet, there are more LARGE women there! And we're not talking just plump, we're talking REALLY BIG!!! But that's good because there is no stigma about body type in belly dancing. I always feel like a cow in ballet class, but here I felt positively NORMAL (except for those skinny teenaged, olive skinned, dark waivy haired babes I mentioned earlier)!

Molly, that sucks that you aren't going to be in Vegas, I was really looking forward to meeting you.
frown.gif
At least we won't have a catfight to get to Edgie though!
biggrin.gif

Disco, when I told Steve I aced belly dancing he just said "hmmm." in a "that's nice dear" kind of way. I guess I'll show him my moves eventually....

Maddie, I'm not sure how to advise about your back. Backs are very sensitive tricky things and if you shove your hips around too violently, you might throw it. I'd stick with gentle stretches and rolls (or just the gentler moves in class) until it gets better.
smile.gif

The Edge is yours, jess. go for it.
wink.gif
smile.gif

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

Well, if I actually sign up for classes, I could definitely take some piccies. And you should do the same!
smile.gif

Originally posted by mad1:
awwwwww tanks Mrs Edge, I really should make the effort this week and mail the girl!

smile.gif

hey, are u able to take piccies of the class, or have someone take one of u in costume??????

smile.gif
biggrin.gif

that would be cool!

But belly dancing sure is a way of feeling feminine. The other interesting thing is that unlike ballet, there are more LARGE women there! And we're not talking just plump, we're talking REALLY BIG!!! But that's good because there is no stigma about body type in belly dancing. I always feel like a cow in ballet class, but here I felt positively NORMAL (except for those skinny teenaged, olive skinned, dark waivy haired babes I mentioned earlier)!

YOU fee like a cow? All 98lbs of you? *lol* (I know, I feel the same way). I've been meaning to take a belly class...the rpoblem is finding the time...and I was worried that with ballet I would be too stiff (slippery hips? Problem with holding those stimach muscles? I'm there!) Glad to hear you're having fun...

oohh...for some reason reminds me, we really should get together and see a ballet sometime

Have an awesome time in Vegas!

Sweetest Thing, you are SO getting a good story when I write yours!!! LOL!!! 98lbs, PSHAW!!!! In my wildest dreams!!!! I probably weigh more than Edge does! Yikes!But thanks nonetheless!
biggrin.gif

We just missed ballet season, which is pretty silly. I got to do the alumni bow for the 50th celebration on Sunday. That was very neat, bowing with all the stars from my childhood. We must go to R&J and the mixed (Voluntaries! One of my faves!)in the winter (we're supposed to take drumkeeran too!)!

But before that we should definitely get together for class. Just email me when you might be in town.
smile.gif

I'm not sure if I'm going to do this permanently, but at least I have a good idea of the major steps/movements. If I EVER get pulled on stage, I am READY!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Go for it Jess!!!! Of course you'd have to slither around Bono, but once he is mesmerized by your slithery, seductive moves, he will fall into your spell!
smile.gif

*hope your hubbie won't be there to see that! Yikes!
wink.gif

------------------

"Bass players attract the weirdest fans," -Edge

"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

Awww, Maddie that sucks! You just go to the ballet without your mom. Or better yet, bring her to a good ballet (Some ballets are better than others! LOL). Maybe she started with a more abstract one that turned her off. One thing's for sure, when you see ballets like Manon, Onegin and Romeo & Juliet, it's anything BUT boring!!! Just let me know what ballets you might think of going to, and I'll help you pick one.
smile.gif

One good thing about Steve, he loves the ballet and refuses to watch sports on TV! Woohooo!
biggrin.gif

Don't worry SG, Steve is NOT going to Vegas, it's just going to be me, getting corrupted by myself! Bwaaahahahaha!
biggrin.gif

heyyyyy u guys, just wanted to say goooooo edgie for doing your belly dancing thang... I'm telling u, this is one excersize that compliments your body.... Its one that works on your flexiblilty which is good for:
Romantic needs, ehem.
Bono's needs, lol.
and your own needs.
I'm doing belly dancing and it is such a good way to make myself feel sexxxxxxxy.

Back
Top Bottom