How tall is Larry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GracelandHarley said:
Six pages of arguing over who is the shortest!?!

:corn:

:lol:
:lol: I think U2 had better do/release something soon or next week we'll be arguing over which brand of hair gel Larry uses.

"Only Techni-art gives you that 'KFC worker greasy look.'"

"No, my boyfriend uses Graham Webb, and he looks just as greased up as Larry!"

:uhoh: But anyway... In the Electrical Storm video, Larry's barefoot with Samantha Morton, and she's 5'3" or so. From that, I'd say even 5'6" would be pushing it for Larry's height. But short is cute. :cute:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

DON'T YOU DARE! I like the scruff, and you know it! :madwife:

I'm sure we can find something for you to do though :wink:

*cough* *knocks on DOL's head*
it's me!!! do you think I'd ever shave him? Come on, you know I'm a scrufflover! :wink:

Well, thing is, Bono does admit that he's short. All the time, in fact.

For example, in U2: At the End of the World, he and Bill Flanagan get into a conversation about Hitler while they're in the coliseum in Rome. And Bill asks Bono if he thinks Hitler would have been so mad if he weren't so short and had both his testicles...to which Bono motions to his crotch, coughs, and says, "Bill, there's something I haven't told you."

Also, I know onstage, Bono says that we (the fans/the crowd) make him feel big. I can think of an audio clip I've heard where he says, "I'm just a little guy, but you make me feel so BIG!"

I'm sure there are more examples, but I don't feel like thinking them up now. Either way, Bono does admit that he's short. And he admits that he wishes he were taller. So, I guess, he's self-conscious about it, but he's not HIDING the fact that he's short because he makes fun of his self-consciousness all the time.

Ashley said:

Also, I know onstage, Bono says that we (the fans/the crowd) make him feel big. I can think of an audio clip I've heard where he says, "I'm just a little guy, but you make me feel so BIG!"

Even Better Than The Real Thing live from Mexico city popmart tour... :)
he says more stuff in spanish, I dunno what, but I do have an idea noting the crowd response and Bono's nature... :wink:
he ends it with Muchos traffico XD

he also said in the michka book about napoleon: I like little guys with big ideas(and since he's sporting the napoleon look these days.... :rolleyes: )

Bono's short?? How was that kept a top secret?
Well, if that's the case, forget The One Campaign, Drop the Debt, Edun, Aid to Africa , Vertigo Tour my arse ........ It's ruined his image. I'm so over him!!

:wink: <------ (please note I'm joking here)

btw, every time I've seen this particular photo, (even taking into consideration that Bono is standing a little further back than Edge and Larry) it has always seemed to me that Bono is a little guy, and so be it. We don't care. The man is pure gold and a giant in our eyes.

band12.jpg

Just an anecdote: On the Today show when Bono and Ali were being interviewed by Katie Couric, Katie asked what Ali calls him when he's at home. To this Bono snickered and said: " tall one!!, master! " Ali just laughed at him sort of giving him a look of "yeah right! you wish" and then answered Katie that she calls him "B". Cute moment!

I'll always love him for saying: "I like tall girls. It's a known fact." Makes me happy. I'm tall. :D

Last edited:
thankyou said:

Just an anecdote: On the Today show when Bono and Ali were being interviewed by Katie Couric, Katie asked what Ali calls him when he's at home. To this Bono snickered and said: " tall one!!, master! " Ali just laughed at him sort of giving him a look of "yeah right! you wish" and then answered Katie that she calls him "B". Cute moment!

I'll always love him for saying: "I like tall girls. It's a known fact." Makes me happy. I'm tall. :D

aww how cute! when was that show? I've never seen/heard about it?

only the thought of a strong woman like Ali calling Bono master.... hahah well to me it's more Ali who's the king of the hewson castle!

Galeongirl said:

aww how cute! when was that show? I've never seen/heard about it?

only the thought of a strong woman like Ali calling Bono master.... hahah well to me it's more Ali who's the king of the hewson castle!

I think you are 100% correct there GG, that Ali rules the roost, and probably better so! :wink:
I've heard Bono say in more than one interview, that when he gets home from a tour, he always feels a little bit like he is getting in the way of Ali's routine, like he is one of the things that needs "tidying up a bit" around the house. But he always says it like he finds it to be funny.

The interview was with Katie Couric in New York, March 2005. (she's the one in the pink shirt in the pic below.) Bono Ali, and the designer Rogan (the guy in the front) introducing the Edun line of clothing. It was showed during the Today show but the video interview was filmed at Saks Fifth Avenue where the clothes were being shown. I found one of the pics. online about it that shows Katie Couric with them. There's probably better one's but I don't have them. :mad:

aab.jpg

I did find the following link showing the biggest part of the interview. It doesn't have the earlier joking around about "tall one". Bummer. :( But here it is:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7182840/ :

just click on "launch" on the right side under "free video".

Whew, that's a lot of info on Bono, considering this is a thread about Larry's height. Oops. Here then, to make it up to him:

Look Larry!! You're taller than Adam!! :

kissgroup.jpg

Last edited:

what's funny here is the fact that without Bono alison wouldn't even have a "castle" to live in at all.

jvferrandiz said:

what's funny here is the fact that without Bono alison wouldn't even have a "castle" to live in at all.

I think she would have done fine without Bono

pattip2000 said:

I think she would have done fine without Bono

somehow i still see her pursuing the same education, interests and causes, regardless of whom she'd married. I think its innate in her.
What a doll.

Quote:
Originally posted by jvferrandiz

Without Ali, I doubt Bono would have bothered with a castle, or much of anything else. He'd still be a dreamer but might not have ever done anything with it. He needs her, and she gives him wings.

band12.jpg

OK, I got a good ruler and a calculator and did the math. Assuming one inch heels on both Bono and Adam (and equal hair height), Bono measures out to 5' 6.5" barefoot.

I can't do Larry or Edge because they're standing closer to the camera and it throws the measurements off.

It's hard to realize that Adam is the size of the average American male at 5'10". My brain insists Bono is average and Adam is tall.

Actually, my brain insists that Bono is a giant! <throws the measuring stick away> :D

Some board in Dublin is discussing the possibility of doing another commemoration of an Irish hero, and Bono is #2 on the list after Pearse (at the 1916 Easter Rising he read the Proclamation of Independence at the G.P.O. - and paid for it with his life). Knowing how Dubliners make jokes about their statues and knowing how self-deprecating Bono is, I can imagine a statue of him mooning the whole world. And you know he'd do it, too!

Rini said:

It's hard to realize that Adam is the size of the average American male at 5'10". My brain insists Bono is average and Adam is tall.

Actually, my brain insists that Bono is a giant! <throws the measuring stick away> :D

:lol: and :hug:

"Without Ali, I doubt Bono would have bothered with a castle, or much of anything else. He'd still be a dreamer but might not have ever done anything with it. He needs her, and she gives him wings."

so , life experiences, the violence he grew up with, poverty, and the death of his mother , don't count??. I'm sorry but i find it hard to believe. He chose to be with her , he didn't need her. he also had his friends with him , his brother, and the band.

I like her work and all , she seems like a nice person but she should be thankful to be with a great man like bono. He would have found someone else anyway.

On topic: I think bono is 5'6 and a half (1.69 cm) he's not that short. larry is around the same height 1.70 cm. Edge 5'9 (1.75 cm) and adam 5'10 ( 1.78 cm.)

jvferrandiz said:
\so, life experiences, the violence he grew up with, poverty, and the death of his mother, don't count??. I'm sorry but i find it hard to believe. He chose to be with her, he didn't need her. he also had his friends with him, his brother, and the band.

I like her work and all , she seems like a nice person but she should be thankful to be with a great man like bono. He would have found someone else anyway.

I'm sure she's just as thankful to be with Bono as I am to be with my fiance, who's not rich or famous or in any bands.

I think every single experience is what shapes a person, take one away and they'll all change somehow. All those things you listed do count, very much, but I don't agree that Bono didn't/doesn't need Ali, especially when he says he does.

Rini[/i] [B]"Without Ali said:
so , life experiences, the violence he grew up with, poverty, and the death of his mother , don't count??. I'm sorry but i find it hard to believe. He chose to be with her , he didn't need her. he also had his friends with him , his brother, and the band.

Of course they count...our lives are tapestries of everything that touches us (and how we respond to them are even more important I think).
But a marriage can balance out in all kinds of ways and in different strengths, depending on who each of the people are (including what happened in the past) and how one person interacts with the other. I think Bono's make-up makes him like the absent-minded professor who needs the cheering section of a loving person who won't betray him and can organize the reality of life's details while validating his flights of genius.
He needed someone as emotionally honest and committed as he was (and let's face it, you know at least one woman who wouldn't do that). Ali did, and she also helped him not lose his keys (too bad it didn't extend to lap tops! LOL) and keep a home under him.
I think if you could asked him, he would admit his deep need of her, and that's not a bad thing. He has said he needs the band members more than they need him.

jvferrandiz said:

Yeah, and there are some women who would have ditched the kids with a sitter and spent all her time at Monte Carlo spending his money (not all women are great like us!).
I think great men don't often happen in a vacuum. He was going places, yes, but he seems so aware that people need each other. The closest is that women who is his alone. Sounds corny, but maybe that's because it's been said so many generations.
I think Bono's heightened awareness of this all calls us to each other. He's already there. It's a party! Let's dance!

jvferrandiz said:
On topic: I think bono is 5'6 and a half (1.69 cm) he's not that short. larry is around the same height 1.70 cm. Edge 5'9 (1.75 cm) and adam 5'10 ( 1.78 cm.)

Last edited:
You are assuming way too much there. And you are right, it sounds corny. Even if i wanted to believe that.

I know it sounds beautiful, wow, he needs his wife , she's his life , etc ,etc , etc but those are the type of things people say all the time. It doesn't necesarily mean it's true. It just sounds good. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure we need people , we are not "robots" but at the end of the day you decide what path youre gonna take. That's that he did and he took her with him. And she learnt from him. The Truth is most of the times you decide what to do with your life , if you are gonna follow your dreams, or kill yourself at the end. You can't go around blaming people for your failures just as you can't say that without ONE person you'd become a mess. At least not in bono's case. He deserves more credit than that.

*rolls eyes at the 'she's nothing without him spiel. Bullshit*

On topic, however. Bono's got smallfeet - probably a size 8, 8 1/2?
Hee. Wait, not a one of them is six feet tall? Random.

"If I'm drinking too much then I know when to stop - perhaps if I hadn't
found somebody as special as Ali, or if I didn't have the friends or the
faith I have, then maybe I'd be there with Michael Hutchence."- Bono

Souly said:
"If I'm drinking too much then I know when to stop - perhaps if I hadn't
found somebody as special as Ali, or if I didn't have the friends or the
faith I have, then maybe I'd be there with Michael Hutchence."- Bono

souly, where is that quote from? TY

Back
Top Bottom