Help with a story about Adam...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
I'm hoping someone here can help me...
Somewhere I read an article about Adam going to London as a teenager and falling asleep on a roundabout. Has anyone else read this?? It could have been in an interview, but if anyone knows, could you post a link or tell the story again?

i thnk someone asked him a question like "where's the strangest place you've woken up?" or maybe it was "fallen aleep". something like that. i don't remember where i read that. sorry
frown.gif
but i'm sure someone else will know.
smile.gif

BP feckin' Fallon by any chance??

biggrin.gif

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

***Sparky's Whore***

RSOC's Sparky Shrine

What in the world is a roundabout?! Like a merry go round? Lol I saw the word and I laughed like a maniac!

*Bono and Mona fly away on a magic roundabout* wheeeeeheehee

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!
"We got the soul - we got the honey"-Bush

TURN EACH SONG INTO A PRAYER

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
I'm hoping someone here can help me...
Somewhere I read an article about Adam going to London as a teenager and falling asleep on a roundabout. Has anyone else read this?? It could have been in an interview, but if anyone knows, could you post a link or tell the story again?

Yes, it's in one of my older books... Stories for Boys, the Early Years, maybe Into the Heart. I have so many books I can't say exactly where it came from but I know I read it somewhere a long time ago and it's always amused me. When I first went to the London in 1991 I tried to imagine which roundabout (and there are so many!) that Adam fell asleep on. *ah*

O.K., Adam went to London as a teenager (I think he was 17 or 18 at the time) to see the Who in concert. He wound up crashing out on a roundabout, though the exact reasons as to why he crashed out there (alcohol, another substance) wasn't confirmed. He woke up the next morning with all these cars driving around him, going about their merry way. Only thing is, Adam was stranded for a bit on the roundabout because he misplaced his glasses!

LMAO!

*remembers nearly being killed crossing a roundabout*

How can you sleep with all that traffic!

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

"There's no room for spiritual constitpation here!" - Ian Astbury, The Cult

SlipStream Soul

Hey, adam's mistress, thanks. That's the story I was talking about.
can you imagine driving to work (or church) and seeing some guy with a blonde afro sleeping on the roundabout
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

what's a roundabout!? a subway?

adam's cute. *random comment*

------------------
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Remember, kids, when asking for candy you should consider replacing "treat" with another delicious word, the birthday boy's name...

TRICK OR LARRY!!!

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

For those who have asked...

A roundabout is a traffic circle. It's where you have cars coming in from several directions to an intersection, but rather than having stop signs or a light, all the lanes feed into a circle. You drive in and go around the circle until you hit the direction you need, then drive out again. They're much more common outside the US.

------------------
lovely, lovely, love me
with dreams, with drugs
with lipstick and la rouge

Yeah...how could ANYONE sleep in the middle of that, what with the traffic, and American tourists going, "Look kids...Big Ben, Parliment." (okay...sorry, I couldn't resist...)

------------------
Dana

"AHH...this is civics in action!"
--Mr. Campbell and me at a U2 concert, 6/21/01

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

Originally posted by WildHonee:
What in the world is a roundabout?! Like a merry go round? Lol I saw the word and I laughed like a maniac!

*Bono and Mona fly away on a magic roundabout* wheeeeeheehee

LMAO @ that
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I remember having lot?s of fun driving one circle after the other in roundabouts when i was a teenager. Just for fun. It made a lot of sence back then
biggrin.gif

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Adam told this story in the BP Fallon interview:

BP: Have you ever slept in the open?

ADAM: Yeah, quite often actually. Well, I once slept on a roundabout in London in Camden, no sorry not as glamorous as Camden, it was Catford. I'd been to see Thin Lizzy play the Wembley Arena in their 'Live and Dangerous tour' so it would have been about '76. This time I'd been in the West End in a few clubs and didn't have any money to get home so I started walking. And I just walked as far as I could go before I fell asleep and I chose a roundabout and woke up at rush hour. It was a bit disorienting because I couldn't find my glasses so all I knew was I was on this patch of green and there were cars driving round me, so it was a bit of a strange way to wake up.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Ahhhhhhhhhh! So it was Thin Lizzy! I wonder where I got that he went to see The Who?

My memory must be failing me in my old age! Thanks for the bit, AM!

Ahhhhh AM thanks a lot. That's exactly what I remembered reading.
Is it in BP's book? Where did you find it?

Originally posted by DML:
Yeah...how could ANYONE sleep in the middle of that, what with the traffic, and American tourists going, "Look kids...Big Ben, Parliment." (okay...sorry, I couldn't resist...)

LMAO!!!!!!!!! I was JUST thinking that when I saw the picture! Great minds think alike.

P.S. I guess Bono and I can't fly away on it, then. Well it SOUNDS like a merry go round!

P.P.S. Where else but PLEBA could I see a pic of a roundabout?
biggrin.gif
I love this place!

------------------
~*Mona*~ the Shamrock n rolla!

"Most of our organization is run by women. We sort of work for them, really!" ~BonoBaby~

We live forwards. We understand backwards.

TURN EACH SONG INTO A PRAYER

Back
Top Bottom