Edge wrote again: Band Blog / U2.com!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
Touring is hell...

‘Touring is hell, or it used to be. These days it's an amazing privilege, and it gets better each time we go out.

We fly around the world getting applause from our fans for just showing up, and we get to do the thing we most love: playing our music. On days off we get to see some of the most beautiful areas of the country we’re in.

Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and Hawaii are the part of a world tour that everyone looks forward to. Normally at the end of a long run through continental US or Europe it's the promise of a few days in a city like Melbourne or Tokyo that gets you through the more mundane stretches. In this case - as a stand alone tour - it's like a long holiday with a few shows thrown in.

Australia is an unfathomably ancient place with landscape and wildlife to match. Anything here that possibly can be is venomous. We had a pet Funnel-web spider for a brief period during our time in Sydney. They are evil looking things: shiny black and chunky, they look like they are made of plastic. Though aggressive and highly venomous I’m told they don’t jump at your throat as some people believe, so if you have one in a large ice-cream container you’re safe to study it with the lid off. We did exactly that for a bit and then released it into the wild, well away from any houses. It's probably still there under some leaves oblivious to the fact that I'm writing about it. I was hoping to see some snakes around Brisbane, maybe a red bellied black, but none showed up at the hotel.

The native Australian culture is at least 50,000 years old. It was going strong way before man arrived in the Americas. Probably also before man was in northern Europe because it was under a few hundred feet of ice at that time. Aboriginal people are by necessity very tough, with a unique take on art and music. We found a diggeridoo player of mixed Aboriginal and Irish decent, Tim Moriarty, who played with us during the Australian leg closing the show every night on the song ‘Kite’. Bono took to releasing a Kite symbolically into the night sky towards the end of the song - a beautiful, poetic way to end the show. Of course you can't really let go the string of a Kite and expect it to fly away, but we discovered that it does exactly that if you attach enough
helium balloons. We also discovered that you need more balloons if there's a strong wind or if your Kite string is wet….

We met up with Pearl Jam in Melbourne and Bono and I played a version of ‘Rocking in the Free World’ with them at a Make Poverty History gig. It sounded alright! Got a huge adrenalin rush from playing together and that was it - one song and we were done. I went off and had Chinese with Morleigh and the kids.

New Zealand gave us a chance to get off-side. We stayed for a couple of days on Great Mercury Island. It was amazing. We resolved to go back one day and call in on the Fay family for a week or two. It turns out that in New Zealand there are two types of sheep dog. The ones that bark and the ones that don't. The barking ones drive the sheep away, the quiet ones bring them back. We established that they do not have to remove the vocal chords of the quiet dogs - they are wired that way naturally.

Edge

http://www.u2.com/bloglite.php?id=19&pg_id=1

:love:

We had a pet Funnel-web spider for a brief period during our time in Sydney. They are evil looking things: shiny black and chunky, they look like they are made of plastic. Though aggressive and highly venomous I’m told they don’t jump at your throat as some people believe, so if you have one in a large ice-cream container you’re safe to study it with the lid off. We did exactly that for a bit and then released it into the wild, well away from any houses.

:lol: here speaks the scientist again!

:hmm: I wonder if they told him about the preying mantis!

Venomous spiders, the Ice Age, and oh, by the way, I played a song with Pearl Jam, then went off for Chinese with the wife and kids....

How can you not love a man like that?

Hoo boy, it's Edge v. Adam in the battle for status as Alison's favourite U2er....

*sits back and watches epic battle of geek and bass* :heart:

That was so funny.. what a guy eh?
I will state that Bono is my favourite U2er and always has been - I guess I jsut find him so much more accessible...
But Edge is starting to intrigue me - with his quiet prowess, his restraint... his intelligence, coolly brooding...
Unlike Bono who tries to leap down your throat sometimes...

It's a very interesting contrast....

Edge.. funny guy. I'd like a chat with him....

He really is a genius. Most people, espeically famous people, woudn't care about venomous spiders and sheep dogs' vocal cords, but Edge is obviously a very smart and curious guy. And I think that's so cute! :cute:

Back
Top Bottom