Bono's present from the Pope!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One81

The Fly
From the TFI Friday - St Patrick's Day Interview that can be found around here I learned that the cross Bono carries around his neck was a gift by the Pope when Bono was at the Vatikan. I was wondering if there are any good pics where you can see it properly and/or you got any thoughts on it (he seems not to have taken it off in years, including last night at the NRJ awards).

Oh, I'm sorry, you're right, I didn't find that. That was about was I was looking for. Thanks! :wink:

Actually, the rosary he's wearing now is not the one the Pope gave him. That one wore out (because he wore it constantly), and Bono's wife had a new one made for him as a replacement.

biff said:
Actually, the rosary he's wearing now is not the one the Pope gave him. That one wore out (because he wore it constantly), and Bono's wife had a new one made for him as a replacement.

I didn't know that biff, tks :)

I hope he still has the one from the Pope, are you saying it broke/fell apart? :(

MrsSpringsteen said:

I didn't know that biff, tks :)

I hope he still has the one from the Pope, are you saying it broke/fell apart? :(

Rosaries actually break fairly frequently. *Two* of mine are broken and I had to order another one. Ebay is a great place to get nice rosaries at great prices. I've talked broken rosaries with priests, Catholics at the airport, it happens all of the time. They're rather fragile, thus you end up with quite a rosary collection because you replace the ones you can't fix. I fixed one about ten times but finally I had to get another one.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

It was in the Sunday Times magazine article. He just said that it "wore out" and that Ali had another one made exactly the same. He also said that Bob Geldof (who received the same gift from the Pope) had had the sense to ask for two! Pretty cheeky, I think!

biff said:

It was in the Sunday Times magazine article. He just said that it "wore out" and that Ali had another one made exactly the same. He also said that Bob Geldof (who received the same gift from the Pope) had had the sense to ask for two! Pretty cheeky, I think!

I knew Geldof was a smart guy.........very smart.

verte76 said:

Rosaries actually break fairly frequently. *Two* of mine are broken and I had to order another one. Ebay is a great place to get nice rosaries at great prices. I've talked broken rosaries with priests, Catholics at the airport, it happens all of the time.

Perhaps you can explain something that's been puzzling me here. I thought it was the case that a rosary (as opposed to an ordinary, not-blessed-by-a-priest crucifix necklace) is strictly a prayer accessory and never to be worn as jewelry, except when part of the traditional dress of certain orders (in which case it's not really "jewelry" anyway, since vestments aren't street clothing).

Wasn't this the main reason behind the outrage over the way Madonna used to wear a rosary? (Yeah, I know, she was wearing it over a black lace teddy "top," but then, Bono's been photographed wearing his with a partially unbuttoned shirt...)

I'm not Catholic, but I went to Catholic schools growing up and remember being told all this...

Hi yolland, yes that's what my Mother has told me

I'm a Catholic and I see nothing wrong w/ it, I think it's lovely to see someone wearing one. I wore mine during a particularly tough time for me and it gave me comfort. I wore it under my clothes though, I didn't feel the need to let anyone else know it was there :) But I see nothing wrong w/ Bono or anyone else wearing it.

Back
Top Bottom