Bono Nominated For Another Award: Please Vote !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Bono is up for another honorary award - and this time he is up against Oprah! :wink:

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070223/ent/ent9.html

Bono, Oprah Winfrey up for Marcus Garvey Award
Friday | February 23, 2007

When Ephraim Martin of Martin's Inter-Culture Ltd. announced the nominees for the Marcus Garvey Humanitarian Award in the 26th International Reggae and World Music Awards (IRAWMA) on Tuesday evening, he noted that "This is a very powerful award".

"With the votes coming in from all over the world, the two persons nominated are Bono and Oprah Winfrey," he said to those gathered at the George William Gordon room of the Jamaica Pegasus hotel, New Kingston, for the presentation of the names of the 2006 nominees.

The awards will be handed out at the Apollo Theatre, New York, United States, on May 5.

Martin later said "If you told us 20 years ago that someone out of the culture would be nominated we would sayno. But there are ballots from all over the world. You will see that many Jamaicans have received the Marcus Garvey Award over the years."

Invitation to public

Bono, lead singer of Irish band U2 which, like Bob Marley and the Wailers, enjoyed a fruitful stint with Chris Blackkwell's Island Records, is known for championing debt relief for African nations, while Winfrey's work in South Africa includes a leadership academy for girls.

Now that the nominations in nearly 40 categories have been made, the public is invited to be a part of the final selection by voting online at www.IRAWMA.com. Printed ballots are also being made available in the U.S. Persons will be allowed to vote once.

Martin and other persons from Martin's Inter-Culture, as well as entertainers Ce'Cile, Tarrus Riley and Tessane Chin, among others, announced the nominees in the various categories. In terms of numbers Buju Banton leads the way with nine, including the Bob Marley Award for Entertainer of the Year and the Emperor Haile Selassie I Award for Spiritual Service Through Music, while Sean Paul has eight, including three in the category of Best Crossover Song.

Tanya Stephens tops the female nominations with five, including Best Female Vocalist, Best Female DJ/Rapper and Songwriter of the Year. Tony Matterhorn has a wide spread in his five nominations, being nominated in the Recoding Artiste/Group of the Year, Best Song, Best New Entertainer, Songwriter of the Year and Most Popular Sound System/Selector categories.

The IRAWMA includes Best Calypso/Soca Entertainer, Best African Entertainer and Best Soukous Entertainer categories, with Jimmy Cliff, Selif Keita, Soweto Gospel Choir, Youssou N'Dour and Ziggy Marley up for the Award for Outstanding Contribution to World Music.

Martin noted that "Last year 50,000 people voted and this year we expect to double that.

"People started buying tickets from Thanksgiving. It tells me people are watching and respect what we are doing," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to VOTE FOR BONO for the Marcus Garvey Humanitarian award, please go to this link.

The Marcus Garvey Award is near the bottom of the list.

KUDOS TO BONO! :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Thanks for your votes, JCOSTER and tanner_sis!

I hope more people will follow your leads.

NEWS FLASH -

At 12:19am EST, BONO WILL BE ON C-SPAN !

C-span will run the World Economic Forum's panel discussion with Bono and others that took place back in January 2007. :hi5:

This may be the only time that it's on C-span so if you're available - I would watch it.

Just wanted y'all to know. :rockon:

you know which cspan it is cause i have cspan and cspan2..and it dont say what is coming on..:mad:

voted and thanks for the heads up on the WEF broadcast. I caught part of it earlier, but of course missed Bono's main part.

The broadcast is on the regular C-Span channel, tanner_sis. :yes:

Thanks Jamila. Watching Bono on cspan right now. Does anyone know if it will be repeated. I didn't turn it on in time to record it.

bonocomet said:
Thanks Jamila. Watching Bono on cspan right now. Does anyone know if it will be repeated. I didn't turn it on in time to record it.

that was the second time tonight...It probably will be repeated. If I see it, I'll give you a shout.

^ I was thinking...you're up late..then I remembered the time difference.
Oh, I'm up late

It's bad because I always wake up with a headache. I'm very excited because I finished a portion of the book and it came out awesome. Anyway, nice to know you're out there.

voted.
why does Bono always appear on channels I don't have? :sad: the rabbit ears can only stretch so far!
and while we're at it, we should all vote for Damian Marley! :up:
The Humanitarian category is looking for a sponsor. We could all throw down some dollahs and have a PLEBA sponsor. I wonder if we'd be able to raise $3500...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the response so far to this thread - whether for the C-span broadcast or the IRAWMA Award voting.

I would second redhotswami's suggestion about voting for Damien Marley as well as voting in any other category of music that you feel confident voting in.

Let's hope Bono get this award too! :up: :bonodrum:

redhotswami said:
while we're at it, we should all vote for Damian Marley! :up:

Heck yeah! Voted for him and that Bono fellow.

Missed C-Span entirely. :sad:

tanner_sis said:
Me? hehehe what did I do now.. well besides telling someone on the zoo to shut the fuck up..hehe *hides*

haha:lol:

but last time i voted for something for bono I was on this site more than I was doing the photoshop thing:sad:

Back
Top Bottom