Bono and American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie

The Fly
Anyone else watching American Idol? I was fixing dinner in the kitchen and I heard them mention Bono...does anybody know what that was about? I also heard them say they're doing some sort of project involving extreme poverty in Africa - I am so excited about that!

Yeah, I saw it. He's going to be on the finally. American Idol's sponsors are going to donate money to Africa and the Missisippi basin for each vote given on the 2nd to last show and then the finally is going to feature a bunch of people including BONO!!

You should've seen me. I was already thrilled when I found out what they were doing for Africa. When I heard "Bono" I started screaming and jumping like a crazed lunatic. This his thrilling....:drool: My mom was looking at me like I'd completely lost it, which I basically did.:wink:

Bono and Simon Cowell...that will be an interesting combination...

Did he say Bono was going to be on or Bono said it would be a special Idol or something to that affect? I didn't think he said Bono was going to be on it. I do hope I'm wrong

Val said:
Did he say Bono was going to be on or Bono said it would be a special Idol or something to that affect? I didn't think he said Bono was going to be on it. I do hope I'm wrong

That's what I thought he said, but now I'm not sure :reject:

It was a little confusing the way Ryan Seacrest said it, "BONO! . . .said this will be the a very special show etc." It's like he was about to announce Bono would be there but then didn't :huh:.

I didn't get that he was going to be on, I was watching I thought they announced who was going to be on - Pink, Gwen, etc and than they said Bono Says ... something about two worlds colide Africa and something about American Idol .... I didn't catch it all and they didn't actually say he was going to be on ... am I wrong??? :huh:

:confused:

Does anybody have the instant replay? :wink: I was doing laundry and just heard "BONO" and came running but must have missed the rest of it by then....

ryan seacrest said that "bono said...etc"; so from what I got, they are using the power of Bono's name but I did not get that he would be there. The AI site has information on it and a link to the one.org site... but again no mention that Bono would appear. that said, alot can change between now and then so I wouldn't rule it out.
cheers!

Ryan mentioned that Bono said american idol and africa coming together is like two worlds colliding and that the broadcast is going to make pop history. or somethign like that..but nothing about Bono being on the show..unless they show some footage of him in a clip i guess.

I hope they aren't just using Bono's name to lure in votes or to boost ratings. I am not a fan of the show. I hope Bono will be able to use Idol as a platform to spread more awareness of AIDS and his campaigns in Africa.

yes i acted like a complete crazy when they announced this! it almost brought me to tears..when the show started i saw the back up dancer with a RED shirt on and knew something was up OMG!!

hey he has said many times that he would meet with the devil if it would help for the African cause.. so hell AI is a HUGE audience so all for it if he goes on and we get that much more support!!

tanner_sis said:
hey he has said many times that he would meet with the devil if it would help for the African cause.. so hell AI is a HUGE audience so all for it if he goes on and we get that much more support!!

I agree Tanner sis..some might not think much of AI but the biggest stars have guest on the show and I truly believe that this is going to be a huge boost for the help needed for Africa..Its been estimated that millions of people watch..What an impact this will make!!!!:)

We have DVR which lets you pause and rewind the program. I too nearly fell out of my seat when I heard Bono's name. That made me rewind. They did not say he was going to be on! They said that Bono said that when Africa was on American Idol worlds would collide! and then something about Pop history. It would be great if they got support from the fans of American Idol.

I just started watching it this season to see what everyone was talking about. A little....naw...a lot disappointed when they sent home :shocked: Sundance and Stephanie and kept Senjiya and Haley!! :banghead:

tlski said:
We have DVR which lets you pause and rewind the program. I too nearly fell out of my seat when I heard Bono's name. That made me rewind. They did not say he was going to be on! They said that Bono said that when Africa was on American Idol worlds would collide! and then something about Pop history. It would be great if they got support from the fans of American Idol.

I just started watching it this season to see what everyone was talking about. A little....naw...a lot disappointed when they sent home :shocked: Sundance and Stephanie and kept Senjiya and Haley!! :banghead:

From the American Idol website, came from the article for idol gives back.

U2’s Bono, co-founder of the One Campaign to Make Poverty History, said, “We’ll see worlds collide when Africa appears on America's most-watched TV show. This is a big deal, a little bit of pop history ... I wouldn’t underestimate the reach of this show or the impact its audience can have.”

and this proves once again that Bono does give a lot for his causes...

sure, appearing/being linked to American Idol isn't exactly well for his image.... but it helps raising awareness, and THAT is what Bono cares for!

From Associatedcontent.com ( http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/172395/american_idol_announces_idol_gives.html )

The second night of Idol Gives Back, the results show on Wednesday, April 25 will be a two hours event (8-10 p.m. ET live). This will be a "star-studded extravaganza." Performers will include: Gwen Stefani, Pink, Michael Buble, Josh Groban, Annie Lennox, Borat, and Bono. Viewers will be able to make their own charitable donations on toll-free lines and via the Internet. The money raised by both shows will benefit children in Africa and the United States equally.
Ryan Seacrest quoted Bono in saying that, "We'll see worlds collide when Africa appears on America's most-watched television show... it's a little bit of pop history."

And tvguide.com ( http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Entertainment-News/Article/Default.aspx?idx=509992 )
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Gwen Stefani, Pink and Annie Lennox will perform on a star-studded two-night "American Idol" charity special next month.

U2's Bono also is also expected to sing, and Sacha Baron Cohen will appear in character as Borat. Other performers lined up include crooners Josh Groban and Michael Buble, and classical-crossover combo Il Divo.

I'm not sure that even these sources know for sure, though - they may also be going off of last night's episode which made it sound as if Bono would be performing without really confirming.

youvedonewhat said:
:evil: Be a laff if Bono auditioned....I wonder what Simon Cowell would say to him...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Simon would probably be a total ass and tell him he is awful or something. Simon always has an agenda, so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom