Birds Eye View

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
Yet another one off.

Disclaimer: Don't know the band, tis a work of fiction.

---

I've seen a lot up here on my platform. Usually at lunchtime or when I just need to catch my breath.

I'm a construction worker here in Dublin. These last few years, the southern dock area has really been growing. That's where I come in, lots of jobs for folks who are willing to work hard. I've always enjoyed working outside more than getting being in a stuffy office. Even though it can get quite dusty here sometimes. It's worth it. It's all worth it. Good pay rate and sure the hours can be tedious, but there's plenty of time for play.

I really enjoy the lunch break though. See right down there, that little unsuspecting building. It's quite the important place. I see tons of folks flock there daily and I can almost feel their anticipation at the thought, the hope of meeting one of the inhabitants of said building. Me, I always know when they're there. Like I said before, I can see alot from up here. I see when they arrive, sometimes they even wave up at us. Maybe they think we won't notice and most of the guys don't, but I do. It's a nice gesture.

It's frustrating sometimes to watch. Knowing that they aren't there while someone down below there waits. All day sometimes. I wish I had the vocal capacity to yell so they'd know they weren't there. I've seen them standing in the middle of the rain, in the cold. They're nothing if not persistent. They stand like statues, a permanent fixture against the wall.

Today, is a good day. I've just seen the car. You know. THE car. It just pulled into the garage. There's a small group of about five people waiting. He'll be out for sure. Nice day like this, small group.

I sit down on my platform and let out a contented sigh before biting into my sandwich. Turkey and bacon are a fantastic combo. Truly.

There.

The front door opens slightly. The people by the wall hold their breath. How can I tell from up here? I just can. Trust me on this one.

He exits and I can see he's smiling slightly and beckons them over to him. They mill around and he obliges every question, every photo op. He acts like a normal bloke despite the fact he has an extraordinary profession. I suppose that should be plural. Professions. Yes, that would make more sense. Being that he's musically inclined and quite the humanitarian. Yet there he is down there, mingling with them, making them feel special, helping them get through troubled times. He may not know it, of course. But I've talked to people who've met him, and all of them really, and they all talk of how down to earth they all are.

I kind of feel part of it in a little way. Up here on my platform. The wind is light today and I can hear chuckles occasionally.

I finish up my sandwich and stand up, ready to get back to work. I hear a louder voice. It sure sounds like him.

I turn to look down and I see him waving.

"Howyeh!" He says, I can just make it out.

"Howyeh" I reply and wave back.

He turns, talks a bit more to the ones gathered around him and then returns back inside the gray doors.

Squeals of excitement and disbelief echo beneath me from the five people as they slowly make their way down the sidewalk.

And me,

Well, I can't stop smiling...

very sweet and innocent, RB.
made me warm and fuzzy inside. but also want the character to continue.... maybe go down to HQ soon, and see what happens..know what i mean? :wave: :bonodrum:

Back
Top Bottom