Bill Flanagan's Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok you guys can use this thread to post your fave stories/snippets from the BFB, but really I was wondering if anyone had the pic of Bob Hewson running offstage. Paul mentions it, apparently a reporter took it, so it may be out there somewhere...it was when Bono pulled his dad onstage.

Fishy

------------------
The Macphisto Society
Being Bad Never Looked So Good

We know you like your Marylanders to be exciting...

Has anyone stopped to consider the irony of shopping for MacPhisto shoes at the Salvation Army...

I want to see that too! I was so bored today I started reading that book again.

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

never seen it either, but the mere description of it had me in stitches! Bill Flanagan is just a marvel with words and descriptions. I had the best mental pictures to go along with the stories in his book!

If I were Bill, I woulda been EXHAUSTED after being with the guys non-stop for 2-3 years...I was exhausted just reading about it...

Originally posted by Discoteque:
never seen it either, but the mere description of it had me in stitches! Bill Flanagan is just a marvel with words and descriptions. I had the best mental pictures to go along with the stories in his book!

If I were Bill, I woulda been EXHAUSTED after being with the guys non-stop for 2-3 years...I was exhausted just reading about it...

It's a PHENOMINAL book!
eek.gif

------------------
Laura
~~~
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

My favorite part in the book is when Bono kidnaps the waitress and brings her "nightswimming"...*sigh*

...ok...i'm SSSOOOOOOO jealous right about now.

I LOVE that book! I have so many favourite bits..I love the flight of the Zoo crew, where they're doing all the actions to the saftey demonstation. That had me in stiches. My family must have got so annoyed when I was reading it, because every five minutes I'd be reading the funny parts to them.

My sister actually read the book after me, and she's not even a fan! She had to do a talk at schoolabout a book she'd read and decided to do that one because it was so funny. She read some parts out to the class, like the sellafield bit. And then all her friends picked up on the phrase FOAD, and started using it. There must have been some inside joke, because one of them wrote on her B'day card a few weeks later, "PS I don't really want you to FOAD." And the funniest part was when my Grandma read the card and asked what FOAD meant, and I'm there trying not to crack up while my sister's going "Um....er...well..it's...er..an abbreviation. It means...um...go away and die." It was so funny, but I guess you had to be there.

Anyway, that was way off track, but that's the story of how half my sister's class picked up the word FOAD, all thanks to Flanagan's Bible!

OOH! I love this book! Love isn't a strong enough word for my love for it
biggrin.gif
I have pages bookmarked where I think they are funny and I read them to random people...hehe. Another great part: Edge finding the secret of the universe, if I knew where that was, it would totally be bookmarked, but I don't remember where it is.

------------------
Dana

U2's Official Bum Rubber

Dana: Ma, Adam Clayton's instrument holds mysterious powers of women folk

Ma: Oh yeah? Let me see...

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks:
I soooo agree. The whole description of them going to Sellafield was hilarious, serious, sad, funny - so many emotions...

Okay, so I haven't had time to read the whole thing yet...maybe that should be my next project
wink.gif

Anyway...so far my favorite part is Sellafield...I just laughed and laughed at the description of the boys and Paul attempting to learn the semaphore for HELP and then for FOAD...bwahahaha!

------------------
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

i'm sorry but there's this one about edge that just warms me up! i hope i get to fall in love as deeply as he did...

i love the part where edge had just gone to eat after something went wrong under the stage. he was really pissed off and was apparently bitching about it. but then morleigh came up and put her hands on his shoulders and he suddenly forgot he was mad. *loving the love there*

oooo, that story makes me so happy.

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

Originally posted by DML:
OOH! I love this book! Love isn't a strong enough word for my love for it
biggrin.gif
I have pages bookmarked where I think they are funny and I read them to random people...hehe. Another great part: Edge finding the secret of the universe, if I knew where that was, it would totally be bookmarked, but I don't remember where it is.

yeah the S.O.T.U! YEAAHH
I also really like pretty much the whole part where they're in tokyo

A few favorite stories not mentioned

1. An "elegantly wasted" Bono meeting Clinton in a hotel at like 5am (he'd gone to bed at like 4:30..LOL).

2. Bono fighting to give that concert in Sarajevo, despite being told don't, and the fans won't apprecaite it (uh, the hell we won't), and it's dangerous and we can just send a check. I loved him for that.

3. Stories about how nice the people who work for them are, as far as backstabbing, gossip, being professionals, etc etc. Says a lot about our boys, I think. Don't think Flannagan gave a specific story here, just a general observation.

4. That passage about how Larry hates bullshit, hypocrisy, fakeness, attitude, airs, arrogance, etc etc, and then Flannagan adds, "Boy, did he choose the wrong business." LMAO. But the right band.
biggrin.gif

SD

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

Originally posted by Sherry Darling:
A few favorite stories not mentioned

Crap, forgot one. Stories about Bono evading his poor security guy. LOL. Talk about having your work cut out for you!

Too funny.
biggrin.gif

SD

Okay, I may become a CLAN exile for this...
if you can put the fact that it's Superhooch out of your mind, the story of Bono playing matchmaker/Adam hooking up with Nnn... Na... her is really sweet
smile.gif

------------------
~ALOTWU!~
"It never ceases to amaze me. Here, we have a man who claims professes to enjoy flower arranging, has no qualms over donning a skirt at any given time and, now we learn, prefers to use the ladies' restroom. And yet somehow he manages to embody all that is masculine and sexy. I don't know how he does it. " ~Gina, on Adam
Gina: WOOHOO!

O! I totally remember the other one:

-The one where Edge is at a dance club with Morleigh and he's sitting there staring at the dj's work. Poor Morleigh has no one to dance with so she tells Edge she's leaving. (are you ready for the omc cute part here?) Edge made his security guard go with her!! *cute boyfriend fuzzies*

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

Did anyone know that a writer actually hung around with them during the Popmart tour with the intent of writing a book? Someone mentioned it on Wire, asking for more info. It sounded like a good sequel (except for the it not being Bill Flanagan part), but it never happened.
frown.gif

Thought I'd share... I was very suprised when I heard that.

------------------
Laura
~~~
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

i think my favourite part was when they were making the numb video. morleigh and another dancer had their feet in edgies ear and larry came up took off his shoe and stuck his foot in edgies ear too. ROTFLMAO at that part.
biggrin.gif

------------------
----Maria----

what you dont have you dont need it now

eh, Disco... it's Germany.
biggrin.gif
Ah, well... the fact that he's injected with bull's blood does say a lot, doesn't it.
biggrin.gif

Here's the quote for Sherry Darling on what Larry doesn't like:

Many people on this planet say they hate horeshit, but no one hates horseshit as much as Larry Mullen, Jr., does. The possibility that he might somehow add to the rising stew of crap that threatens to submerge our civilization in hype and nonsense appalls him so much that he slaps on a scowl and shuts his mouth at the first inkling of gladhanding, backslapping, false sincerity, sucking up, ass-kissing, air-kissing, overpraise, fair-weather friendship, freeloading, hyperbole, ligging, flattery, posturing, complement chewing, ego-stroking, bootlicking, cheek-smooching, groveling, pratspeak, toadying, leg-lifting, fame-grubbing, schnoring, idol worship, starfucking, or brown-nosing.

Boy, did he pick the wrong business!

Moonie
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by moon_is_playing_tricks (edited 04-13-2002).]

I like the part where Bono and Flanagan are trying to see what color the girl's underpants are and get blinded by the flash LOL!

I also like the part where Bono and Gavin invented MacPhisto.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

Yet another quote that had me rolling. Bill mentions to Suzanne(?) one day that Larry goes to France every couple weeks to get an injection of bull's blood to help with his ongoing back problems.

Suzanne: "Bull's blood? That explains SO much."

LMFAO. Good ol' bullheaded Mr. Snarly.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Kristie:
Okay, I may become a CLAN exile for this...
if you can put the fact that it's Superhooch out of your mind, the story of Bono playing matchmaker/Adam hooking up with Nnn... Na... her is really sweet
smile.gif

Ya but then she walked into a door

I was on the floor with that one

------------------
Daisy
Love is a temple
Love's a higher law

AIM: daisyone75

Originally posted by daisybean:

Ya but then she walked into a door

I was on the floor with that one

LOL! That was a great story! I also love the story about Morleigh and Edge getting some kind of massage where they claim you can feel your spirit or something like that, and Bono asks Edge if he got a stiffy!

Man, there are so many awesome stories in that book- it's a great read. I'm so jealous that Bill Flanagan got to go around with them for 2-3 years- that'd be my dream job!

another quote that popped into my noggin today...BF was talking about (I think) Bono just before he meets up with Bill Clinton early in the morning...apparently it was like "raising the dead" where Bono didn't have a chance to shower or anything, and Bill says about Bono "...and like Lazarus, he stinketh." LOL!
biggrin.gif

Poor sweaty Bono....

God, I love this book. There are just so very many great stories. I think my favorite has to be the making of the Numb video when they all submit ideas for stuff to happen to the edge during the video. Edge's list is filled with suggestions such as "beautiful women kiss Edge" while the others come up with stuff more along the lines of "crack egg over Edge's head" and "hit Edge with hammer." Hee hee!!! Poor Edgie!!
biggrin.gif

And I LOVE how when someone mentions that it would be funny if someone pulled Edge's beanie off, only to reveal another underneath, Edge just sort of glares at them and doesn't say anything and everyone is just like "ok, maybe NOT..."

Ah, Edge. Gotta love 'im...

------------------
~ALOTWU~

"Lines in the sand...I don't know about that shit."
-Adam

Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear

*HOE DOWN*

MOOB IT!

Man, I've read this book SO many times, and I've only had it since December
biggrin.gif

Favourite parts.. hmm..

-the entire Tokyo part of the book, that was great
-the beginning where they talk about Bono wandering around in his rented house in Germany, and the real owners come back
wink.gif

-making of Numb

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by senrab:
I like the part where Bono jumps off the yacht outside of Sydndey and steals a boat.

lol, I forgot about that part! And he tosses the soaked underwear to the guy he stole the boat from, for "Mrs. Herbie". (or whatever -- sorry, I haven't read that part for awhile
tongue.gif
)

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes:
God, I love this book. There are just so very many great stories. I think my favorite has to be the making of the Numb video when they all submit ideas for stuff to happen to the edge during the video. Edge's list is filled with suggestions such as "beautiful women kiss Edge" while the others come up with stuff more along the lines of "crack egg over Edge's head" and "hit Edge with hammer." Hee hee!!! Poor Edgie!!
biggrin.gif

lmao- yay! Yeah the Numb vid is a great part. I also enjoy the Sellafield escapade.

Originally posted by senrab:
I like the part where Bono jumps off the yacht outside of Sydndey and steals a boat.

OH YEAH I forgot about that!!!
I giggle every time Bono escapes security
biggrin.gif

And.. oh, in Mexico City, he describes their luggage as "bouncing around like happy appaloosas" and that makes me laugh too. And when he refers to Adam as Adam "Body Double" Clayton. And at Sellafield where he says Edge and Bono look like burritos with sunglasses. I could go on forever...
Let's face it folks, the whole book is GENIUS!

------------------
~ALOTWU!~
"It never ceases to amaze me. Here, we have a man who claims professes to enjoy flower arranging, has no qualms over donning a skirt at any given time and, now we learn, prefers to use the ladies' restroom. And yet somehow he manages to embody all that is masculine and sexy. I don't know how he does it. " ~Gina, on Adam
Gina: WOOHOO!

Back
Top Bottom