Ali 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:hug: BF :hug:

107a51bb.jpg

VertigoGal said:
Thanks for the pics Kelly? How recent are they? (Ali and Bono seem to be living it up in France/Spain! :wink: )

I'm not sure but I think those pictures are at least a few months old...

yeah, I wish I had a house in France! It looks gorgeous :drool: :wink:

kellyahern said:

I think the pictures with Bono in the blue shirt are from last year :).

yep - the blue shirt is so 2004 :wink: This year purple is the new blue

btw - I think Ali looks drop dead beautiful in all the pictures

stonecircle said:
...what are Hello Betty arms??...

At 45 and with four children already, I hope she has the conscience NOT to be preggers...

What exactly do you mean by that?

I wish I had $375 :drool: the only thing I have bought so far is a t-shirt. I wish they had the stuff in the colors Ali wore though. That purple sleeveless shirt on the website was also worn by Ali in black in one of the photo shoots but they aren't selling black. The pants are on sale for $97 though :hyper:

sami0201, it's not how much you spend on EDUN's clothes, it's the fact that you're willing to support EDUN with whatever you can afford to purchase.

Believe me, I'm sure the people who make these clothes thank you for helping them to provide for their families.

And that is what EDUN is all about. ;)

VertigoGal said:
are they ever going to create a more affordable line? I thought I read something about that. :scratch:

I think the original purpose was to create a higher-end line. Maybe this is to get more celebs on board and gain exposure. There are already plenty of more affordable lines of organic and/or fair trade clothing, so EDUN itself is not unique.

Personally, I refuse to feel guilty for not buying their clothes. I could spend another month helping sick and orphaned kids in Africa with the same amount it would cost to buy EDUN clothes. I simply can't afford their clothes. I CAN afford my website though and I've been hoping now that alihewson.com exists, EDUN will gain more exposure. I've actually had several people e-mail me because they are doing their own projects and want to use EDUN clothes, or they are reporters and want to publish articles about EDUN.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yeah, there's mostly e-mails from people looking for her PR people. Sometimes they mistake me for her, even though there's a disclaimer on everypage and in bold on the Contact page. And then I even got one from this lady:

http://www.wholespectrumhealing.com/

Freaky. :eyebrow:

:lol: Never underestimate the ability of people to not read :lol:.

and the spectrum lady, I don't even wanna know :no: :yikes:.

Yeah, I have the same problem with my Nadia Comaneci site, except I get these every day, and rarely in English (she is still insanely popular in Mexico, China, and Romania of course).

VertigoGal said:
are they ever going to create a more affordable line? I thought I read something about that. :scratch:
This is just my thought, but I believe that the workers get just about all the profits from the clothes made, I thought I read that. If the clothes are expensive, then the workers are getting the maximum profits. (sort of like Robin Hood - getting from the rich to give to the poor).

irishdove said:
This is just my thought, but I believe that the workers get just about all the profits from the clothes made, I thought I read that. If the clothes are expensive, then the workers are getting the maximum profits. (sort of like Robin Hood - getting from the rich to give to the poor).

I believe Ali is making a profit as well. I think EDUN is meant to work like a business, I guess to prove that you CAN use organic materials and fair trade labor and still make a profit.

Of the Earth and Edun

It’s hard to make it in the fashion world, even without adhering to strong environmental standards, but Hélène Bisnaire and Richard Ziff’s company Of the Earth is the exception. The pair first sold their wares in 1992 at music and craft festivals. Now, Of the Earth clothing can be found at stores as diverse as City Sports and Whole Foods. According to Ziff, Of the Earth sells millions of dollars worth of merchandise each year (with prices ranging from $14 for a grocery bag to $80 for a hemp/silk dress) and has been growing at an annual rate of 40 percent.

“Although we’ve been doing this for years, it seems that organic apparel has quickly become accepted in the last 18 months,” Ziff says. “It’s exciting to know that it’s finally here and here to stay. There’s improvement in every aspect in production and the organic thing is hip now. But it’s something that’s beyond a trend. It’s a lifestyle decision. People who eat organic food taste the difference, and they like the way these clothes feel. It becomes a lifelong commitment.”

Eco-fashion recently got a big boost in exposure when the singer Bono, his wife Ali Hewson and designer Rogan Gregory (of the all-organic Loomstate clothing line), joined forces to develop the Edun brand (Edun is “nude” spelled backwards, as well as a play on the biblical reference). Edun’s organic cotton t-shirts ($55 to $58) and sweatshirts ($163) made in Tunisia and Peru constitute 20 percent of the line, and are selling at such high-end stores as Barneys New York and Saks Fifth Avenue. Not surprisingly given Bono’s second job campaigning for economic justice, Edun has a firm commitment to a fair and humane workplace.

Eco-friendly fashions are new to the store, says Saks’ senior fashion director Michael Fink. “Edun’s had a great reception and it’s selling quite amazingly,” says Fink. “It could inspire a major movement.”

Although budget-conscious shoppers may be shocked by Loudermilk and Edun’s high sticker prices, New York City-based fashion model Summer Rayne Oakes, a coordinator for the Organic Portraits project (www.organic portraits.org) and a designer of an eco-fashion curriculum in conjunction with Recyclebank (www. ecofashion101.com) puts it in perspective: “Implementing ‘eco’ in mainstream high-fashion labels is a necessary step for inspiring celebrities, consumers and design chains.”

According to Oakes, “Lower-end and lifestyle brand lines will be quick to emulate their fashion-forward predecessors with more affordable garments.” Oakes points to ecologically conscious (and affordable) lines already underway by American Apparel, Timberland, Whole Foods, Nike and Eddie Bauer.

Oakes adds, “There are a number of roads that need to be crossed before major labels begin embracing environmentally and socially conscious fabrics.” She says more groundwork needs to be done on the supply-side of organic fibers and she says there also needs to be more investment in partnerships to build the sustainability movement in the fashion industry.

Bono modestly admits his role has more to do with his celebrity status than his style (“I’m the man who brought you the mullet,” he joked). “Look, the world doesn’t need another fashion brand; we understand that. But we don’t think that this is just another one,” Bono explained at the Edun launch. “It’s different. At the very heart of it is the idea of four respects: respect for what your clothes are made of, respect for who is making them, respect for where they are made and respect for the people who are going to put them on.”

Not a bad endorsement of eco-fashion from one of the world’s biggest stars, who has inspired legions of fans to wear wrap-around sunglasses (and the aforementioned mullet), and who is also a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize this year. Edun will, in fact, be making the concert t-shirts for U2’s next tour, which should put organic, fair-traded cotton on many, many backs.

JOEL GERSHON is a New York-based freelance writer.

http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2653

This article substantiates exactly what I've been trying to say all along.

EDUN was not created for a mass audience per se (although I'm sure they appreciate as many people buying their clothes as possible).

EDUN was created as a BUSINESS MODEL to show others in the garment industry that fair trade businesses ARE possible and CAN BE PROFITABLE. (Ali said that herself in all the pre-launch EDUN articles that were circulated, a lot of them right here in PLEBA)

From all the others that are now exploring the fair trade clothing line (like Whole Foods, Eddie Bauer, Timberland, etc), it's obvious that EDUN IS BEING SUCCESSFUL IN ITS MISSION - making it easier for others to enter the fair trade market and making it more fashionable amongst the buying public to ask for and to buy FAIR TRADE ITEMS.

And for that, Ali Hewson and everyone else at EDUN deserve our respect and admiration.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom