Add yours here...it's been TWO YEARS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
How time flies.

Two years ago, PLEBANs, et al, *looks at watch* at this very moment, I was hot, exhausted, crushed, sore all over (esp. my FEET), but that couldn't stop me (and Mrs. Edge and Gina Marie) from screaming my lungs out at my first U2 concert of three in a week....in VEGAS!!!!!! Here's a little taste of that night...feel free to add your pics/comments/memories too! :D :heart: U2 :heart:

(right click the X if you can't see it)
11-18-01_front.jpg

I have yet to see a concert live :sad:

I can live vicariously through you guys, though! :wink:

Oh, and Discotheque... I :heart: your sig!! Mr. Bean rules!

I've been to four U2 concerts, but it's been two years since the last one!!! AND, due to circumstances I won't discuss, the most important one, to me.

It will be 2 years for me on Dec. 1st :)

That is the date when I went from being a casual U2 fan (i.e. I owned the greatest hits 1980-1990 & ATYCLB) to being what you see before you today (i.e. owning all the albums, several bootlegs, vcds, videos, etc. - you know the drill :lol:)

Forgive me if I wax nostalgic about this, but I've never posted about my U2 concert experience before :hyper:

It all started when I was reading the Tampa Tribune and noticed a little blurb about U2 tickets going on sale for a Dec. 1st concert at the Ice Palace arena. I thought, "Oh, that's on a Saturday night, that's perfect!" My sister (who lives in a different town) & I could go and it wouldn't interfere with work.

So I called my sister, Kerry, (who at the time owned more U2 albums than me - that's not the case now :evil: ) and she said sure let's go. I bought the tickets at a K-mart :lmao: (didn't get seats in the heart though, at that time I didn't even know what the heart was :reject: )

So fast forward a couple months to December 2001, and we're driving to downtown Tampa for the show. By some divine intervention, I manage to negotiate downtown traffic and find the area without getting lost.

Last edited:
Garbage was the opening act. They were great (even took the stage a few minutes early :) ) but my bladder demanded that I go to the restroom during "I'm Only Happy When It Rains" :lol:

After garbage finished, I told my sister that I hoped U2 would play "elevation" :lol: I also told her please don't go "woo hoo!" as her woo hoos were kinda lame :reject: She asked me, "Can I go 'yay!'?" :lol:

Then U2 took the stage (with the lights still on, very cool! :hyper: ) , started in with elevation, and life as I know it changed :D (Btw, Kerry "woo hooed!" and so did I :) )

Before they started, I had bought a lemonade, and I'm glad I did because after 4 songs our throats were wrecked :lol:
We just kept passing the lemonade back and forth during the concert becausing we were singing so much (I don't know how Bono does it every night :) )

Actually, that's what impressed me the most, how everyone sang along to every song :hyper: It was a great feeling of community, of being a part of something bigger than yourself :hug: That hadn't happened at the Elton John or Rolling Stone concert that I went to before - not every song!

At the end of Angel of Harlem, Bono stopped and let the audience sing the last line :) That's my stongest memory, singing along with 18,000 other people, perfectly in sync, "Angel of Haaaaaaaaaaaaaarlem" :hug:

Last edited:
Last part I promise :reject:

I just wanted to share a silly poem that my sister wrote as a joke a few weeks after the concert :)

It's silly, but it's almost Christmas time - it's written in the style of Dr. Seuss:

A U2 Concert Poem by Kerry
The woos down in wooville
liked Kerry's woos a lot
but her sister, dear Kelly
absolutely did not!

It started quite simply
as things often do
Kelly, did ask her
to go see U2

"Now, Kerry," said Kelly
"You know what to do
you can clap, you can sing,
but you cannot say woo!"

"Now, Kelly," said Kerry
"you won't have to fear."
but Kerry said "woo!"
and Kelly - "oh dear!"

"Your woos are annoying,
they're wimpy and sad.
You could try saying yay!
but that's equally bad!"

"I can't stand them!
They're awful!
I don't know what to do!
If there's one thing I can't stand,
you know it's your woos!"

Then a funny thing happened
"What is it?", you say?
In the Ice Palace, the volume rose 2 levels that day.

The audience clapped, the audience wooed
Kelly said, "Go ahead, I know you want to :) "

Merry Christmas to all
and a sister so true
I really do thank you
for letting me "woo!"

:D :reject:

PS - My sister so far has not become the rabid U2 fan that I have. She likes them, but she only owns 3 albums still :lol: She mentioned to me the other day, "Remember when we were at the U2 concert, and you had to ask me what some of the songs were? That wouldn't happen now!"

No Kerry, it wouldn't :hug:

It was 2 years for me for October 11. I've told my story before, but I think i bears repeating, haha.

U2 walked me through my mother's death in July of that year. She'd gone in for a heart bypass on June 12, had a stitch inside not hold, bled out, opened the next day. She never totally recoverd. Was in ICU for a month, on a respirator, only conscious briefly the second week. U2 were waiting for me in the car most of that month. "Walk On" became my anthem, what kept my knees under me every day I went into the hospital.

October, 3rd leg of Elevation was announced at Notre Dame. They sold to students and staff first, then put the rest out on Ticketmaster. Mind you, this was a SMALL venue - 10,000 maximum. Both my sister and I got pairs of tickets, which I think is a miracle.

We were behind the stage, but close, and such a small arena. My sister total blanked out when they took the stage in full light. She screamed, "Adam, Larry, Edge, Bono!" They opened with "Beautiful Day" -- I think the only concert they started with that. (Later, my sister said, "I'm surprised they didn't do Beautiful Day!" She was so out of it :lol:

Bono came up and did "Angel of Harlem" for us behind the stage. He had to call Edge back from the front of the stage!

Something truly wonderful happened in that arena that night. It was probably the most positive day of my life. It got inside me and wrapped around my heart and it's still there.

During SHFWILF, Bono said, "I'm gonna take you to church ... that's right! We're in a church!"

They helped us sing our mother home that night.

Ok I am having problems here.. I totally misread this thread :laugh: :reject:

Concerts.. you guys are talking about concerts! *sigh*

Well my very first concert was The Joshua Tree tour.. 11-14-87 .. I was 15 and almost passed out I couldnt believe U2 was standing in front of me.

As far as the elevation tour, I went to 3 last year.. Oakland, San Jose and VEGAS! I will never forget Vegas, being in the heart, and meeting all my Interference friends :love:

Y'all take a deep breath and make sure you are sitting down before you read this...

It has been SIXTEEN YEARS since I have seen U2 in concert.. I have been either too broke, homeless or in jail every time they were anywhere near me... I saw them on the Joshua Tree tour in 1987... I'm not a bad person, hooked on drugs, or anything like that... I have just had the most incredible run of bad luck (well, seven and a half years with my ex is a big part of it!)...

I AM GOING to their next show in Atlanta if I have to lose my job or break into the venue to do it... so if y'all don't hear from me after their next Atlanta gig, you know I am homeless (once again) or in jail (once again)... but DAMMIT I AM GOING!!!!

hee hee

goat

}:)~

*is a U2 concert virgin* :sad:

I can't WAIT until they go back on tour.

:banghead: OMG you are all so lucky to have been to a concert. If I dont make the next one you will all hear me scream no matter where you live. The closest ive been so far is watching the Slane DVD. I can feel the emotion through the screen and I so badly want to be a part of the next one my heart goes balistic just thinking about it.:heart: :heart: :heart:

Last time I saw them was November 3, 2001 in Austin Texas...that was the first time I met them...I remember it was an unusually hot day..even for texas..I think it got up to 90 degrees...I had gotten there at 9am cos I rode with Appy Texas and her hubby...I met a whole bunch of Interferencers there...by the time it was about 5pm we were up where it was rumoured the band would show up...I was hallucinating cos I was so tired and I saw Edge's bodyguard...what's his name? the hot one?...anyway I kept thinking he was larry and screaming Larry's name at him...ABEL thought I was on crack or something lol...but that's the first time I met Edge, Bono and Larry...I made a happy belated birthday sign for Larry and he came up to me at the top of these stairs, read my sign, said thank you, shook my hand, gave me his autograph...I almost died...Bono came straight up to me before anyone else and shook my hand and said how are ya?...I was kinda in shock so all I did was twirl his pinky ring and said sorry and smiled...LOL i'm such an idiot!...That concert was awesome!!! I can't wait till the next one

fan58.jpg

Pic I snapped of Larry in front of me...I have a similar one of Bono on my old website but my website disappeared *sniffle*

fan50.jpg

This picture inspired this future picture of me in Dublin..my first one of me with Bono

Dublin55_2.jpg

Last edited:
We're twins!!!

kellyahern said:
It will be 2 years for me on Dec. 1st :)

That is the date when I went from being a casual U2 fan (i.e. I owned the greatest hits 1980-1990 & ATYCLB) to being what you see before you today (i.e. owning all the albums, several bootlegs, vcds, videos, etc. - you know the drill :lol:)

:eyebrow: Ok...this is just down right scary! :ohmy: That's exactly me!

I have been a casual U2 fan since the mid 80's, but I had always wanted to see them in concert. I too only owned the greatest hits of the 80's and ATYCLB cd's. After my first live show, I went hog wild over them and bought every cd too with t-shirts, books, posters, etc.

I saw U2 live for the first time on November 25, 2001.

And now here's my story and my struggle getting to that night...

It was like a miracle. It all started back when I was a teenager in the 80's. When I discovered that U2 was one of the best bands in the world, I wished that I could see them in concert. With me being a girl under 18, there was no way that I was going to go to any concert, especially The Joshua Tree Tour at Tarrant County Convention Center all the way on the other side of the metroplex in Fort Worth. That was strike number one. Well, as I got older, finished college, and got a job, I was able to see some concerts, but big groups like U2 were just too expensive, which meant that I had to skip the ZOO TV Tour. I decided, why bother trying this time to see U2 since it's a pain in the ass? [Note: If I was trying to see them live, there is a possible strike against me, but if I wasn't trying at all, then there are no possible strikes against me.] Until one day, a radio station (93.3) was giving away tickets to U2's Pop Mart Tour at the Cotton Bowl. They said that they were giving away 15 tickets to the first people who showed up under Reunion Tower. Luckily, I was in the area and got there in less than five minutes. I was one of the first five people who were there, but there was nobody there from the radio station! We started to get worried, and so we were running around all over the place to find this person in order to get these tickets. After more time had passed, more people were showing up, and I was wondering how this person would pass out the tickets fairly. It got worse, and I just left disgusted. That was strike number two. Now the year is 2001, and I love U2's latest album. I have a little more money now, and I have decided to try to buy tickets. This was for their show in the spring which was their 1st leg of the tour. I still did not have a computer at the time, so I tried to phone in for the tickets with no success. After finally getting through an hour later, the show was sold out. But the lady said that the only thing she had left were Handicapped seats. I thought I was going to become mentally handicapped. That was strike number three. I'M OUT! I started to ask myself why God was keeping me away from seeing these guys live. After that I decided to hang it up. I really did put my ATYCLB CD back on the shelf, never to be listened to again. I have decided that the only way that I could see U2 was that it would have to be a miracle.

Now in September of 2001 I finally got a computer. I had never used the Internet before, so I was scared of it. I never signed up until a month later. I never thought of as to look up U2 because I had no idea they were still on tour. Keep in mind that I don't have cable. When I heard on the radio, on a Friday afternoon in early November 2001, that tickets would go on sale for a U2 show, I didn't believe it. I actually raced home to call Ticketmaster to see if it was real. The next day I logged onto Ticketmaster.com and started the race at 12 noon. If you have ever done this, you know you have 5 minutes to purchase your order. After getting kicked out twice with upper balcony seats because I supposedly took too long (no thanks to slow ass modem AOL!), I told myself one more time and THAT'S IT! Well, the third time was the charm, and I finally got my ticket! It was located on the lower balcony on the 7th row on Adam's side of the stage! My heart started beating fast for U2 again and still has not stopped to this day. For a moment in time I forgot about 9/11, Anthrax, and the other American Airline's crash that happened in New York. But later in the show I was quickly reminded of those victims, but at the same time Bono taught us to "Walk On." That was the best concert that I had ever seen! I wished it would have never had ended. All of my dreams to see them finally came true! It was like a religious experience. You could have said that I was truly "Elevated."

*Sniff*

Thank you GOD for U2 and for giving me that ticket! My life hasn't been the same since! I am now an official obsessed U2 fan!

I believe there was a reason for me to go to that show. Only seven months later my mother passed away with liver cancer. U2 and all of the U2 fans that have become my friends helped me get through that rough time. I cannot even imagine what my life would have been like if I never became that obsessive fan, spending hours on the net and meeting new friends. After knowing Bono went through the same experience and other fans as well, it gave me great comfort knowing that I wasn't alone. This next tour will be bitter sweet because after telling my mom how U2 blew me away, she said she wanted to go with me when they came back to town. She will be there in spirit.

Last edited:
Re: We're twins!!!

Allegra said:

:eyebrow: Ok...this is just down right scary! :ohmy: That's exactly me!

I have been a casual U2 fan since the mid 80's, but I had always wanted to see them in concert. I too only owned the greatest hits of the 80's and ATYCLB cd's. After my first live show, I went hog wild over them and bought every cd too with t-shirts, books, posters, etc.

I saw U2 live for the first time on November 25, 2001.

And now here's my story and my struggle getting to that night...

It was like a miracle. It all started back when I was a teenager in the 80's. When I discovered that U2 was one of the best bands in the world, I wished that I could see them in concert. With me being a girl under 18, there was no way that I was going to go to any concert, especially The Joshua Tree Tour at Tarrant County Convention Center all the way on the other side of the metroplex in Fort Worth. That was strike number one. Well, as I got older, finished college, and got a job, I was able to see some concerts, but big groups like U2 were just too expensive, which meant that I had to skip the ZOO TV Tour. I decided, why bother trying this time to see U2 since it's a pain in the ass? [Note: If I was trying to see them live, there is a possible strike against me, but if I wasn't trying at all, then there are no possible strikes against me.] Until one day, a radio station (93.3) was giving away tickets to U2's Pop Mart Tour at the Cotton Bowl. They said that they were giving away 15 tickets to the first people who showed up under Reunion Tower. Luckily, I was in the area and got there in less than five minutes. I was one of the first five people who were there, but there was nobody there from the radio station! We started to get worried, and so we were running around all over the place to find this person in order to get these tickets. After more time had passed, more people were showing up, and I was wondering how this person would pass out the tickets fairly. It got worse, and I just left disgusted. That was strike number two. Now the year is 2001, and I love U2's latest album. I have a little more money now, and I have decided to try to buy tickets. This was for their show in the spring which was their 1st leg of the tour. I still did not have a computer at the time, so I tried to phone in for the tickets with no success. After finally getting through an hour later, the show was sold out. But the lady said that the only thing she had left were Handicapped seats. I thought I was going to become mentally handicapped. That was strike number three. I'M OUT! I started to ask myself why God was keeping me away from seeing these guys live. After that I decided to hang it up. I really did put my ATYCLB CD back on the shelf, never to be listened to again. I have decided that the only way that I could see U2 was that it would have to be a miracle.

Now in September of 2001 I finally got a computer. I had never used the Internet before, so I was scared of it. I never signed up until a month later. I never thought of as to look up U2 because I had no idea they were still on tour. Keep in mind that I don't have cable. When I heard on the radio, on a Friday afternoon in early November 2001, that tickets would go on sale for a U2 show, I didn't believe it. I actually raced home to call Ticketmaster to see if it was real. The next day I logged onto Ticketmaster.com and started the race at 12 noon. If you have ever done this, you know you have 5 minutes to purchase your order. After getting kicked out twice with upper balcony seats because I supposedly took too long (no thanks to slow ass modem AOL!), I told myself one more time and THAT'S IT! Well, the third time was the charm, and I finally got my ticket! It was located on the lower balcony on the 7th row on Adam's side of the stage! My heart started beating fast for U2 again and still has not stopped to this day. For a moment in time I forgot about 9/11, Anthrax, and the other American Airline's crash that happened in New York. But later in the show I was quickly reminded of those victims, but at the same time Bono taught us to "Walk On." That was the best concert that I had ever seen! I wished it would have never had ended. All of my dreams to see them finally came true! It was like a religious experience. You could have said that I was truly "Elevated."

*Sniff*

Thank you GOD for U2 and for giving me that ticket! My life hasn't been the same since! I am now an official obsessed U2 fan!

I believe there was a reason for me to go to that show. Only seven months later my mother passed away with liver cancer. U2 and all of the U2 fans that have become my friends helped me get through that rough time. I cannot even imagine what my life would have been like if I never became that obsessive fan, spending hours on the net and meeting new friends. After knowing Bono went through the same experience and other fans as well, it gave me great comfort knowing that I wasn't alone. This next tour will be bitter sweet because after telling my mom how U2 blew me away, she said she wanted to go with me when they came back to town. She will be there in spirit.

Awww, that's a great story! I have tears in my eyes... :hug:

Back
Top Bottom