You Know What's Cool to Think About....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonfix

Refugee
....That at a concert recently (or even at a show in the future) there's a kid in their teens who went to see U2 because they liked a few of their hit songs and because of their reputation as a great live act.

After seeing U2 live this kid is going to gradually buy all the albums, start reading up about the band throughout the years, and try to get the rare stuff online. They are going to annoy their friends with their U2 obsession and will tape every U2 related thing that comes on TV. All the while they will be hoping and praying for the next album and tour. Maybe they will join Interference and post 20000 times in one year.

I dunno, it's just fun to think that some young person is going to start, or as just started, on their own era of U2 discovery, like I did after the Popmart Tour. I know from reading a lot of posts here that many Interferencers became hardcore fans during the Elevation Tour--It's weird that at that same time I was posting on Interference in 2001 many people were just getting into the band. And it's great to imagine that four years from now, some Interference's most dedicated members will be kids who discovered the band in 2005. :)

sounds like me arround the time of HTDAAB. i had atyclb but wasn't that excited by it. At the minute im frantically searching for the NYD single edit ( im working backwards)

Lemonfix said:
....That at a concert recently (or even at a show in the future) there's a kid in their teens who went to see U2 because they liked a few of their hit songs and because of their reputation as a great live act.

After seeing U2 live this kid is going to gradually buy all the albums, start reading up about the band throughout the years, and try to get the rare stuff online. They are going to annoy their friends with their U2 obsession and will tape every U2 related thing that comes on TV. All the while they will be hoping and praying for the next album and tour. Maybe they will join Interference and post 20000 times in one year.

I dunno, it's just fun to think that some young person is going to start, or as just started, on their own era of U2 discovery, like I did after the Popmart Tour. I know from reading a lot of posts here that many Interferencers became hardcore fans during the Elevation Tour--It's weird that at that same time I was posting on Interference in 2001 many people were just getting into the band. And it's great to imagine that four years from now, some Interference's most dedicated members will be kids who discovered the band in 2005. :)

this happened to me when i was 14 and saw the Zoo TV tour. i was blown away- went out the next day and bought every album on cassette! :wink:

Re: Re: You Know What's Cool to Think About....

*Ally* said:

this happened to me when i was 14 and saw the Zoo TV tour. i was blown away- went out the next day and bought every album on cassette! :wink:

Cassette! :lmao:

Yeah, Elevation did that for me too.... I had Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum for a long time, but I really started liking them after seeing them live... nice post lemonfix!!!!!:wink:

Lemonfix said:

:up: :)

that's kind of like me! I'm 16

I started liking them last summer and it was amazing to first discover all of their stuff :drool: Like right around the time HTDAAB came out :hyper: I can't imagine if I never got into them :bow:

That's VERY cool to think about. My 16 yr old son's first concert ever was U2 in Lexington in 2001, I'll never forget how he bounced up and down to IWF. He'll be with me in Cleveland in 16 days. He has the U2 iPod and the digital box set and has read several books about U2.

Last night he told me that he listened to all of AB over the weekend and he said to me "You know, Acrobat is a really good song." :)

I didn't notice many teenagers/kids there last night- I was the only person between 10 and 20 or so. But don't worry- those of us who found U2 as kids ( I did in 2001) will keep the fan flame going forever

i was there and i am between 10 and 20 so that at the VERY least you werent the ONLY person between those ages there last night.

:wink:

That's pretty much what happened to me too. I wasn't a huge fan, but liked them enough to see them in concert last may, and since them, only the beatles phase i got into a couple years ago has rivaled how much i've gotten into u2 lately

U2girl91289 said:
I didn't notice many teenagers/kids there last night- I was the only person between 10 and 20 or so. But don't worry- those of us who found U2 as kids ( I did in 2001) will keep the fan flame going forever

the girl who got onstage for Mysterious Ways last night (11/22) was only 14. (don't worry people- bono knew she was young, only spun her around and gave her a piggyback ride! :wink: ) she was there with her mom, dad, and little brother (who looked to be about 8). i love seeing multiple generations sharing the U2 love!! :up:

Beautiful post, lemonfix! :up:

One of my favorite customers ever when I worked at Borders was a mom who wanted to get her college-age daughter books on U2 for Christmas. It was 1999, and we found the UNCUT magazine featuring Baby U2 and "Into The Heart." I complimented her on having a daughter with good taste, and she agreed that her kid was a real smarty!

There will probably be many, MANY Christmas trees with U2 goodies underneath them this year for the new fans...and us old fans too!

YEAH I'm gonna be one of those people, I discovered U2 in 2001 at age 13, but didn't become the hardcore, diehard, obsessive, spin-my-head-at-every-mention-of-the-words-you-too-or-you-two U2 fan that I am today until the summer of 2004, when the Bomb was getting ready to drop. In the fall I joined Interference, and I believe that has made me a much bigger fan then I could have imagined. Picking up weird bits of U2 trivia everyday makes it a good :wink: AND OF COURSE my first U2 concert last month, that sealed the deal for me. :drool:

that's exactly what I'm trying to make happen with my boyfriend

He likes them well enough, but still maintains that Van Halen is the best band ever. :huh:

So if I can get someone to trade tickets with me (*points to sig*) he can go with me and I'm hoping it'll be like the Blues Brothers and he'll see the light.

Lemonfix said:

That's my life in a nutshell

Always been a u2 fan, but it was more casual until I saw them live in 2001.

Life hasn't been the same since....

I started listening to U2 and was became a casual fan after the release of Vertigo, and HTDAAB....but since the New York show...I've become a diehard fan...everyone thinks I'm really obsessed...although I'd say that I'm not quite there...yet :wink:

Back
Top Bottom