Why the Ellipse lottery sucks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eliv8 said:
3437%3B%3B%3A723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E233%3A%3D82%3C%3D%3A97%3DXROQDF%3E23238469%3B7754ot1lsi

:lmao:

scottyT said:
" Oh the 'real' fans vs. the non-real fans argument again. I love how everyone's an expert about who's a real fan or not. Those girls could have been huge fans but just happen to be bitches. It's true not all U2 fans are nice and considerate."

haha, it's so true i know a huge bitch and she's a U2 fan. haha.

me too! sadly, i know a few... :huh:

lottery sucks, but at least it's stopping the crazy camping out! that's one thing it's good for...

*Ally* said:

me too! sadly, i know a few... :huh:

lottery sucks, but at least it's stopping the crazy camping out! that's one thing it's good for...
i wish it stopped the camping out--so far in every city I've visited there have been campers. If you don't get into the ellipse (and what, 10% of people get beeped, and not everyone brings someone in with them) and you arrive late then you'll be standing at the back of the floor. So I've been showing up at the crack of dawn in order to get a space on the rail (though that isn't always guaranteed if there are lots of campers). So, it doesn't seem the lottery has even solved *that* problem. Having said that, I think it's here to stay for the duration of the tour.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Maybe we should require a quiz before allowing anyone to buy a ticket, then only 'true' fans will make it to the show.:|

quizzes are helpful == nay, required

i'm certain you'd fail.

ruffian said:

i wish it stopped the camping out--so far in every city I've visited there have been campers. If you don't get into the ellipse (and what, 10% of people get beeped, and not everyone brings someone in with them) and you arrive late then you'll be standing at the back of the floor. So I've been showing up at the crack of dawn in order to get a space on the rail (though that isn't always guaranteed if there are lots of campers). So, it doesn't seem the lottery has even solved *that* problem. Having said that, I think it's here to stay for the duration of the tour.

you're right, ruffian. there is still camping the night before the show.

i guess what i meant to say is that the camping is not as intense as it was last tour. crack-of-dawn the day of the show is MUCH better than the end of the Elevation tour, where fans started lining up 2 night ahead of the show... 2 full nights of camping out. :huh:

so it's better, but not completely solved.

*Ally* said:

you're right, ruffian. there is still camping the night before the show.

i guess what i meant to say is that the camping is not as intense as it was last tour. crack-of-dawn the day of the show is MUCH better than the end of the Elevation tour, where fans started lining up 2 night ahead of the show... 2 full nights of camping out. :huh:

so it's better, but not completely solved.

16 hours on the pavement is enough for me :crazy: Gah, I'm too old for this :tsk:

See you in Chicago soon! :)

ruffian said:

16 hours on the pavement is enough for me :crazy: Gah, I'm too old for this :tsk:

See you in Chicago soon! :)

oh yeah, 16 hours is more than enough!! :wink:

yes, see you in a week- i am so freaking excited!!! :hyper: i hope my flight isn't delayed, so that i can make it to the hard rock party... :up:

*Ally* said:

oh yeah, 16 hours is more than enough!! :wink:

yes, see you in a week- i am so freaking excited!!! :hyper: i hope my flight isn't delayed, so that i can make it to the hard rock party... :up:
i'm hoping to make it but i'm not sure it'll work out...but of course, there's always the GA line Saturday... :slant: Are you GA? I forgot which shows besides Saturday?

Chizip said:
im already in line for the saturday show

:rolleyes: chizip, i thought you were either going to say that, or "yeah, she is too old for sitting in the GA all day." :madspit:

well when i saw you wrote "i'm too old for this," i was going to reply, "aint that the truth"

but since i am a nice young man i refrained

ruffian said:

i'm hoping to make it but i'm not sure it'll work out...but of course, there's always the GA line Saturday... :slant: Are you GA? I forgot which shows besides Saturday?

i'm GA for the 10th and 12th. not going to the saturday/monday shows, unfortunately... so my mug probably won't be gracing the DVD. though i'm actually ok w/ that- don't need the entire world seeing my crazy dancing! :wink: :lmao:

hope to see you at the hard rock- but if not, i'll come say hi in the GA line on the 9th, since after doing some sightseeing in the morning/early afternoon, khelia and i are going to try to meet the band at soundcheck. :)

where are ya going sightseeing on the 9th?

i realized since im not going to that show i have nothing to do all day that day....

Chizip said:
where are ya going sightseeing on the 9th?

i realized since im not going to that show i have nothing to do all day that day....

not sure yet- maybe the Art Institute? the Sears Tower? or, maybe girly shopping expedition (i know you're REALLY interested in that...lol!). of course, you're more than welcome to come along- i'll chat w/ Khelia, and we can all talk at the Hard Rock party! :hyper: :up:

RealXJT said:

quizzes are helpful == nay, required

i'm certain you'd fail.

WTF?:huh:

What do you know about me? You've been a member since January and you think you know me well enough to 'be certain I'd fail'.

Come back with something real and don't give me this baseless shit.

nurse chrissi said:

maybe you need to go out - buy yourself something real nice then Bono will pull you up on stage for MW:wink:

ive already picked out a nice velvet dress

Go to the Art Institute--it's one of the best museums in the country IMO. I spent about 8 hours there one day last spring. Their modern art collection is dazzling. I also recommend the Lincoln Park Zoo, in part because it's free, and because it's in a really scenic part of the city.

Unless there's some sort of miracle, I'm not going to make it to a Chicago show, even though I'd really hoped for the May 10 show. Be careful in the GA line--I've heard the United Center isn't in the nicest part of town.

ill be staying at my friends who lives right next to the lincoln park zoo, so maybe ill check it out...

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Go to the Art Institute--it's one of the best museums in the country IMO. I spent about 8 hours there one day last spring. Their modern art collection is dazzling. I also recommend the Lincoln Park Zoo, in part because it's free, and because it's in a really scenic part of the city.

Unless there's some sort of miracle, I'm not going to make it to a Chicago show, even though I'd really hoped for the May 10 show. Be careful in the GA line--I've heard the United Center isn't in the nicest part of town.

cool, thanks for the advice! :up: yeah, i really have to get to the Art Institute... i always remember that scene in "Ferris Bueller" when they go there, and Cameron is focusing on that painting by Seurat. ;)

chizip, we'll chat at the hard rock- i might be interested in going to the zoo, too! especially since i missed it when i was in San Diego...

Eliv8 said:

I think it's disrespectful to the band, to place "lottery sucks" with the band's image on the shirt. I mean to my knowledge I haven't seen if this was purely the band's decision, managment, encouraged by the venues, security, etc. So I think to jump to that conclusion and solely blame the band like this is disrespectful.

Do Miss America said:

I think it's disrespectful to the band, to place "lottery sucks" with the band's image on the shirt. I mean to my knowledge I haven't seen if this was purely the band's decision, managment, encouraged by the venues, security, etc. So I think to jump to that conclusion and solely blame the band like this is disrespectful.

Agreed!

The t-shirt is in poor taste.

I think it has been made very clear how most decisions (and certainly decisions of this magnitude) are made by U2. I don't see any doubt this was done with the full knowledge of the band, if not the brainchild of the band. U2 has made it clear on many occasions (as recently as today's Chicago Sun Tribune) that they are interested in seeing new faces and shaking it up at their shows in terms of fans.

To dismiss this as a promoter decision or managements idea with no input by the band is disrespectful to us, those that believe it is a strategy.

Eliv8 thinks it sucks (which he is not alone in thinking) and has a right to voice that. To their faces, if he wants. Last I checked U2 does not filter their audiences to be as pro-U2 and everything they do like a certain un-named Republican politician who rides in a bullet proof limo.

Spare us the holier-than-thou attitude. Many, again, MANY thousands, are put off by this and one guy making one t-shirt is not that big a deal. For those that haven't experienced it yet, it does suck. It sucks getting left out, it also sucks having to wade through pouting old people and people more interested in their cell phone conversations than the concert once inside the ellipse.

It's their audience, but this seems like the worst of both worlds. Many uninterested, unreactive fans INSIDE the ellipse...and crushed, dehydrated, fatigued, annoyed fans that know every lyric outside the ellipse.

Again, my favorite quote heard inside the ellipse:

"Yeah! It's that song Just Follow!" - yelled to a friend by a girl during the opening chords of Miracle Drug.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

Spare us the holier-than-thou attitude. Many, again, MANY thousands, are put off by this and one guy making one t-shirt is not that big a deal. For those that haven't experienced it yet, it does suck. It sucks getting left out, it also sucks having to wade through pouting old people and people more interested in their cell phone conversations than the concert once inside the ellipse.

Get over yourself.

I think the same could be said to you, Miss America. My only point is he has a valid point, expressed in a creative way. The T-Shirt expresses exactly what many of us are feeling in a way that makes us laugh.

"It's a T-Shirt."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom