why do u2 tix, merch, etc cost so damn much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tix were $45, I don't think thats bad. Your right about the tee shirts though:| way too expensive....its like that at all concerts too. Rolling stones shirts were like $50:ohmy: no way!

We have people complaining that tickets cost too much.

We have people complaining that tickets are too hard to get.

Please one, piss the other off more. Just deal with it.

Dismantled said:
My tix were $45, I don't think thats bad. Your right about the tee shirts though:| way too expensive....its like that at all concerts too. Rolling stones shirts were like $50:ohmy: no way!

Yeah, while $35 is a bit steep for a t-shirt, it's actually a pretty decent price for a concert t-shirt. I had expected them to cost a bit more--especially for a U2 shirt. I picked up the gray "Dismantle" shirt with the bomb on it & I'm pretty happy with it. Well worth the money & I'll treasure i t forever. :wink:

what about the 70 dollar shirts? FREEKIN COTTON SHIRTS.

tix.. 45 dollars? what? for behind the stage or nose-bleed seats?

what about the 400 dollar GA ones.. or the 200-300 dollar ranged ones in decent seated areas?
wtf????

when i was at the NYC show, i believe i saw a shirt for 70 bucks or something.

i bought one shirt.. for 35 dollars.

i think it went like 35, 50, and 70.. right? i forgot.

why do these tickets cost so much? because of the venues? and their size? or what?

plus, u2 is a big band.. so.. maybe this is why. i know noting about business. so please entice me on a lesson. i am curious , and no thats not sarcasm.

i got my tix for over 200 dollars. that wa insane. for one ticket???

back in the ZooTV era, they were relatively cheap looking back.. but back then even then.. they were considered expensive. but then.. look at the stage and everything else going on then.

MattFromNYC said:
what about the 70 dollar shirts? FREEKIN COTTON SHIRTS.

tix.. 45 dollars? what? for behind the stage or nose-bleed seats?

what about the 400 dollar GA ones.. or the 200-300 dollar ranged ones in decent seated areas?
wtf????

why do these tickets cost so much? because of the venues? and their size? or what?

i got my tix for over 200 dollars. that wa insane. for one ticket???

The $70 t-shirts were for folks who didn't realize that you can get the same ones--only original era--on ebay for half the price.

As for the tickets, if you paid those prices, you didn't get them through Ticketmaster. My GAs were $52.50 through TM. U2 & company have no control over what prices scalpers, ebay, and scalpers-in-hiding like ticketsnow.com, etc. charge. There were no $400 GAs or seats for $200-300 on Ticketmaster. Scalpers get that much money because people will pay it--and you did. You can't blame U2 if people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to a scalper when U2 originally priced the ticket at fifty bucks. That's all it really comes down to.

Last edited:
All tickets cost that much these days. U2 charging $160 for the most expensive seat is pretty decent compared to others in the concert/touring industry. Stones are charging $300 for one seat!!!! U2 could get away with so much more. There are bands today charging $50-$100 and have no kind of production or back catalog like U2. My theory is and I tell everyone these, is U2 is worth $100.

Shirts this tour are a bit much. Just charge $25 for a shirt.

Chizip said:
economics 101: supply and demand

Amen to that.

If people weren't willing to pay those prices, they would either:

1) lower the price, or,
2) quit offering the merchandise.

Remember people, U2 (and the entire music industry) is a business, pure and simple.

Oh, not this thread again.

If U2 made their tickets any cheaper, can you imagine how much harder they would be to get? It's been bad enough this time around.

its once in 4 years maybe, people in oz would like a t shirt. nobody makes you buy it! but yep they are dear. but whats not nowadays mate

i saw some on ticketmaster for more than that.

yes, i got mine off of someone. its impossible to get them any other way, it seems.

on the ticket, it said 95.00 for the one (sort of side-view), and the other it was just about almost $200 (full-view).

and honestly, as long as the band isnt overcharging due to egos... then fine. i dont care. i honestly dont think thats the case. but i was curious WHAT else this money is going to.

either way, i dont think itd ever stop me from seeing them or buying their stuff. so... i guess i sound like an ass now.

hey, i love U2.

U2, and really all acts, split the money brought in at the merchandise booths with the venue. In some cases it is 50% to band and 50% to venue, though U2 may get a higher percentage than that.

Out of the U2 share would come the cost of producing the merchandise, transporting it from city to city and the cost of the staff for selling it and maintaining it.

That said, it still does leave a nice profit margin to be made, especially on tshirts, which cost so little. Concert programs may have the lowest profit margin as they are expensive to produce, which is one reason most acts no longer have them, except for arena level bands.

This is the first time I haven't bought anything. craziness. I usually get suckered into buying some sort of t-shirt.

As long as people keep buying overpriced stuff people will keep selling it. :shrug:

<---yes I am totally guilty of this. :wink:

MattFromNYC said:
what is their reasoning behind this?

a simple t-shirt costs a fortune.. and tix.. WTF???

Short answer, because they like the Stones are a top tier act and they can get away with it. U2 sold out their shows in a matter of minutes at what I consider excessive prices while bands like NIN played the same venues half empty when the top ticket was only $45. U2 merchandise is priced a bit more than other acts but t-shirt prices and everything else associated with the show (food, beverages, parking, etc.) is too high in my opinion.

Re: Re: why do u2 tix, merch, etc cost so damn much?

Gen. Chat said:

Short answer, because they like the Stones are a top tier act and they can get away with it. U2 sold out their shows in a matter of minutes at what I consider excessive prices while bands like NIN played the same venues half empty when the top ticket was only $45. U2 merchandise is priced a bit more than other acts but t-shirt prices and everything else associated with the show (food, beverages, parking, etc.) is too high in my opinion.
U2 are not responisible for food, bevrages and parking, that is down to the people who own the arena

Re: Re: Re: why do u2 tix, merch, etc cost so damn much?

KUEFC09U2 said:
U2 are not responisible for food, bevrages and parking, that is down to the people who own the arena

I know, just an observation. Same economics are at play at theatres and sporting events. Example: the parking garage next to my hotel and near the arena has parking all day rates listed at $5 during the week. At 5:00 the day of the show they brought out signs “Venue Parking $10”.

it's not the biggest u2 fans who go to concerts, it's the wealthiest.

not in all cases, but in most.

and this isn't only u2's problem, a lot of artists charge way too much.

good thing almost all the bands i like cost no more than 20 bucks to see.

well, some t-shirts are made by Edun (Ali's clothing line) and may fetch a higher price because of that. I usually don't buy t-shirts because 'back in the day' they were made out of tissue-like cotton that shrank while you wore it. I couldn't pass up the MSG tshirt though this time around, though. It was $35 and was actually a quality t-shirt.

Zoomerang96 said:
it's not the biggest u2 fans who go to concerts, it's the wealthiest.

not in all cases, but in most.

and this isn't only u2's problem, a lot of artists charge way too much.

good thing almost all the bands i like cost no more than 20 bucks to see.

I saw a whole section of $169 ticket holders at MSG sit down during Miss Sarajevo on 10/7. So I agree with your assessment as them not being 'big fans'.

You have to be creative when buying tickets for in-demand shows. eBay is not my first choice for tickets, but there are ways to get deals if you look hard enough.

I got all my first choice shows via TM, and then I added 2 shows via ebay when I couldn't get them through TM.

Bit of advice to those seeing U2 at MSG next month - last week they were selling some nifty navy blue New York-specific tees (with the dates on the back under the outline of the New York skyline and a U2 MSG symbol on the front) - $35 for adult sizes, but relatively thin women can easily fit into the largest youth size (size 12), which is bigger than a woman's Small - and it's only $20. Then your $15 can go towards perhaps a hot dog and a small drink! :wink:

sniggirb said:
They need the money

The poor babies are so poor that they have to sell really expensive t-shirts, and then once they've made a shitload, they'll have enough money to come ALL the way to Australia. :rolleyes:

maybe they just wanted to take that song in from there seats? just because some people may sit down during the slower songs, dosent mean they arent "big fans", people will appretitate the music in there own way

Back
Top Bottom