Why couldn't they use a real Kite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooMacPhisto800

War Child
The fact that that Kite is trained on a string prevents it from letting the wind take it - We all know where it's going to go.

A simple oversight.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
bono, being god and all, was going to allow for the wind to pick up right at the exact moment they play Kite so that they could use a real one, but decided against it at the last moment... didn't wanna blow his cover and all.

I don't think the sight of a kite functioning like a kite would have had that effect.

i still think its hilarious that Bono actually fake flies a kite during Kite

I think during Where the Streets have No Name he should hold up a blank street sign

coolian2 said:
Going by that logic, will he spin around in circles really quickly during Vertigo?

well he did crawl around on his knees like a cat during An Cat Dubh

I don't think I would enjoy it if a kite accidentally fell on my head from great height. They used balloons to keep it up - it was a dove kite.

Im wondering how this is going to go at telstra dome, considering they will probably shut the roof

I don't see any of the above much worse than hopping around and making a fool of yourself to Zoo station, or wearing a boxer robe and prancing around.

Why do you mean the kite is trained on a string? The kite was on a string for a while, until Bono let go of the string, then it went with the wind. At Sydney I the kite flew into the backdrop and then up and over. At Sydney II the kite went the other way, over the back of the stadium. ie with the wind.

didnt you see the string, that was attached to the kite, which was attached to about 5 white ballons

i noticed the ballons during the first show in sydney, i actually thought a fan let them go, as it was the first concert i saw

Yep, the balloons were attached to the kite and the kite was attached to another string. Bono let go of the lower string and it all went in the direction of the wind. I dont see why its fake. There was no one guiding the kite once Bono had let go of it.

R001-228.jpg

Sydney II kite, with upper string

R002-097.jpg

Sydney I kite, with upper and lower strings.

I still don't reckon anything was fake about it as, once released, the kites were flying freely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom