Who has sold a ticket on ebay and made a profit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
heh. i've been arguing this topic all day in ZC, so i won't get lengthy here. i have an extra GA for opening night. i offered it for FREE to two different interferencers, but, unfortunately, neither one could make it to that particular show.

it's now twelve days until the concert, and i'm going to list it on ebay.

i've taken both paths. so what kind of fan does this make me?

maybe i'm only half real. :shh:

Last tour I took my friends to six shows and never even got a dime. I just wanted them to enjoy U2 and I loved them so much I just wanted someone to go with.

So I glady paid for the tickets. Why?

Because I even felt bad asking my friends for money let alone selling my tickets for a profit.

I see that it's tempting.

But U2 is my favorite band. Hell one of my favorite things in life. I guess it means too much to me. I'd rather go in debt than try to feel good about myself selling tickets for a profit.

I didn't buy 10 U2 shows to make money, I just kind of went crazy. I still want to go to that many, but I'm trying to spread out the dates/trade for certain dates (MSG 5/21 anyone?).

I grew up in the Boston area, so I know scalping. In fact, I recognzie most of their faces. But to me there's something different about some guy selling Bruins/Red Sox tickets for 25 bucks over face before the game, than people selling tickets for 200 bucks over face to, in some cases, once in a lifetime events.

My Red Sox in the World Series is a whole different story. But people selling Red Sox/Yankees tickets during the regular season for a profit isn't my cup of tea, but it's less offensive to me than selling a concert ticket. Next year, boston will play new york. But U2 won't be on tour next year.

Again, U2 is more important to me than that.

If I was richer, I'd love to give my extra tickets away. But, as I'll most likely again pay for my friends when they accompany me to the concerts, I'll be forced to sell my extras for face value (to the penny).

Just my thoughts. I don't think anyone is going to hell (I don't believe in it) if they make a profit. And karma, I'm not sure I believe in that either. Basically I'm saying, nothing bad is going to happen to you if you sell a ticket for a profit, I would just wish you wouldn't do that.

And I've meant some great people that happened to be scalpers who ironically where doing it to feed their families and some real assholes who were supposed to be true U2 fans.

So it's not so black and white. And in an ideal world, we should be able to write essays on why we deserve the tickets and get them that way.

But it's real life and capitalism. And I like it that way. It's good and bad, but I think mostly good.

At the end of the day, we're all lucky to be able to go to a U2 concert and not be the subject of one of Bono's causes.

I wish you all good luck in getting the tickets you want at the price you deserve.

MrBrau1 said:
Scumbags.

Ohh jeez that's a bit harsh!

By the way there have been some really interesting posts here.

What I think is quite obvious here is that.

1. There are loads of Interference members who are yuppies and bankers!!
2. You can sell a ticket on ebay and still be a part of Interference, otherwise a hell of a lot of people would be kicked out of here.
3. there are loads of people selling on ebay who are fans of U2.

Great responses everyone, brilliant. I really think that the points about scalping are very valid. Scalping is out of order. There are loads of scalpers floating around on interference at the moment too. I'm personally not one of them neither are the hundreds (possibly) of people who have bought tickets and sold them to fund trips to where they CAN see U2 play. The US has what 60+ shows to play with in multiple locations, in the rest of the world we do not. I'm also certain that scalping is a much much bigger problem in the UK and Europe than in the US. Note the lack of responses from people in Europe??!

If you sell your tickets on Ebay then you should set the buy it now price at FACE value plus TM & Ebay fees.

Did you write the songs? Is your name U2?

It really makes me sick to think that fans are selling U2 tickets for profit, and I don't care if you turn around and spend all of that profit on more U2 tickets, it is just not right!

I would like to see any one of you that made a profit off a U2 ticket tell that to Bono's face. I wonder if you would like the response that you would get.

I have paid scalped prices for U2 tickets, and would probably do it again if I had to, and I know that is part of the problem, but I don't see how a 'fan' that knows how much a U2 concert means to a U2 fan can think about making a profit before they think about helping other U2 fans out.

:| :| :| :| :|

EPandAmerica said:
If you sell your tickets on Ebay then you should set the buy it now price at FACE value plus TM & Ebay fees.

It really makes me sick to think that fans are selling U2 tickets for profit, and I don't care if you turn around and spend all of that profit on more U2 tickets, it is just not right!

I would like to see any one of you that made a profit off a U2 ticket tell that to Bono's face. I wonder if you would like the response that you would get.

I have paid scalped prices for U2 tickets, and would probably do it again if I had to, and I know that is part of the problem, but I don't see how a 'fan' that knows how much a U2 concert means to a U2 fan can think about making a profit before they think about helping other U2 fans out.

Oh dear then you are as bad as me!!
never mind, welcome to my evil world...

just a note though, I am not personally selling the tickets to buy more, so chill out Bono!

Just so you all know - in my original post I was just playing the "devil's advocate" because I was interested in hearing what everyone thought about eBay and scalping.

The fact is, I AM broke, and selling my two GA tickets to Saturday night in NYC would help me out so much financially, I can't even begin to explain... but... I love U2 too much. So I'll stay broke, knowing that I have a thousand dollars worth of tickets in my pocket because to me, that's what the experience is worth.

Someday when I'm out of grad. school I'll have a lot of money, but how many chances in life do you get to see U2 up front at Madison Square Garden? How many mega-world tours do they have left in them? If they do one every five years, and they're in their 40s now... each opportunity to see them is precious.

EPandAmerica said:

yes. and then he can tell me why i should pay so much more for an ipod just because it has the band's logo on it, and why i had to buy not just one version of the new album, but THREE if i wanted to hear all of the songs and see the dvd, and also, why fans now have to pay 40.00 to enjoy a site that for years has been free.

that's a bit contradictory. it's ok to buy scalped tickets, but not to sell them?

EPandAmerica said:

This is exactly what I did. I spent $160 for a ticket. With TM fees and everything, it cost me $180. I listed the ticket for $195 buy it now on ebay. This included the $5 for shipping and insurance and ebay fees. I think I made about $2 profit.

briarrose said:

This is exactly what I did. I spent $160 for a ticket. With TM fees and everything, it cost me $180. I listed the ticket for $195 buy it now on ebay. This included the $5 for shipping and insurance and ebay fees. I think I made about $2 profit.

You're still a scalper, 2 dollars, 2 hundred dollars it does not matter, yoiu are a scalper! Welcome to the club!

A distinction can probably be made between buying tickets with the intention of selling them for profit and making a profit as a result of selling tickets that you had every intention of using, but can't for some reason. My tolerance for this would decrease as the number of tickets sold for higher than face value increases.

Jon

I also think U2 could stem the secondary market a little by diversifying their schedule a little more. With all due respect, some cities are getting way too many shows while others are being skimmed over. Fans in the latter places might find it easier to get tickets for the over-served markets and therefore try to cover the cost by buying other tickets and selling tickets at higher than face value. This is not a justification, but rather a logical consequence.

Jon

Klink said:
A distinction can probably be made between buying tickets with the intention of selling them for profit and making a profit as a result of selling tickets that you had every intention of using, but can't for some reason. My tolerance for this would decrease as the number of tickets sold for higher than face value increases.

Jon

Jon.
You are a sensible person, that makes sense!!

Bono has a right to make a profit off of anything with the U2 name, it is HIS product, he wrote the songs etc. I really don't think that is too hard to grasp.

I did not have to buy any scalped tickets this tour, thank God, but I did last tour, and I bought them from a broker (so I got fucked by a broker not a fan). It was a last minute trip on a Saturday, so I flew in to Phoenix and just went straight to a broker that I found in the phone book. I probably could have found a fan with an extra ticket, but I wanted to get in line ASAP.

I guess I just have a soft heart, I see post after post of fans that did not get one single ticket, and I can't believe that other fans can not help them out and sell to them at face value. Why should they be punished for not getting a ticket and have to pay more just because some one else was lucky enough to get that ticket?

FYI ---- This tour I bought or traded for all of these tickets at face value, and the ones I ended up not needing I sold to fans here on this board for face value. Yes, I could have used that extra money for those Chgo & San Jose tickets if I would have put them on Ebay, but I went with my heart instead of my head.

Two seats for SD1
Two seats for SJ1
Four GA for SJ2
Two GA Phx 1
Two GA Phx 2
One seat Denver 2
Two GA for Chgo May 9th
Two Seats for Chgo May 10th
One GA Boston #? (spring)
Two GA Houston
Two GA Dallas

So in the end I guess I hate brokers, but they are scum and we KNOW what to expect from them, but I think it is worse when a fan chooses to go down that scum road.

:madspit: I can't stand scalping - I start to twitch involuntarily if I think about it for too long :crack:
Anyone who feels strongly about scalping/broking are completely contradicting their beliefs if they are happy enough to buy from a Scalper/broker. By paying extra for a ticket you are simply encouraging an enterprise which you apparently deem unjust.

That said though...I sold some Mark Knopfler tix on ebay to make £100 profit, which I then donated to the Tsunami appeal.

I'm still a scalper though- IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW WORTHY THE CAUSE IS!!!!!

Be it travelling expenses, accommodation costs, merchandise, charity, supporting ones family....you are still taking advantage of someone else, by demanding a price which is more than the products value! It's all scalping at the end of the day!!!

:reject: May I suffer with the rest of ye scalping bastards for my actions...:macdevil:

Problem is the real market value of a U2 ticket is higher than the face value.

Jon

Klink said:
Problem is the real market value of a U2 ticket is higher than the face value.

Jon

Or you can say....the real market value of a u2 ticket is higher than the face value....and sometimes higher than the scalper value.

I have been fortunate enough to see U2 10 times. Only once out of those 10 times have I paid face value. All of the other times I have paid high scalper prices. I have paid it willingly.....knowing that I can afford it....and there was no other choice. I remember for Popmart, walking around Montreal, and trying to find the best seat near the center stage (after looking at a seating chart). I went to the bank machine and withrdrew a whopping amount of cash..... just in case.

It is refreshing to see that this U2.com ordeal has worked out in many people's better favour. I used my code to buy tickets for a show that I knew that I could not attend. I sold the tickets for more money than face value and bought tickets on ebay for a show I could attend for the same amount. No money made.

I know that I wanna go to more shows. If I do......you gotta have the cash.

EPandAmerica said:
Bono has a right to make a profit off of anything with the U2 name, it is HIS product, he wrote the songs etc. I really don't think that is too hard to grasp.

so it's ok for the band to rip off fans, just not ok for fans to rip off fans.

got it. :up:

bonosgirl84 said:

so it's ok for the band to rip off fans, just not ok for fans to rip off fans.

got it. :up:

No. The idea is that the band are the one's who have made the u2 name valuable, so they have a right to make a profit off of products with the u2 name on them. That doesn't give them the right to rip fans off by charging too much, but it's still different than a fan profiting off of a product they have played no role in making valuable.

I don't want to get into this again, so I'll stop there.

I am a U2 fan that thanks to a lovely girl I met via Ebay am finally seeing the band I have been wanting to see for years.

I live in the South of the UK and the band are playing 2 shows that are covering that area - Twickenham. After sitting on Ticketmasters website all day - having it crashing twice with tickets in my basket waiting for me to pay for I left empty handed.

Anyway - I got 2 tickets of Ebay from a genuine fan who brought 4 for Manchester and 2 people have decided to go travelling instead. People like this are fine on Ebay - I hate the dealers who get 20/30 tickets and sell those on Ebay - they want shooting..... but for UK fans esp it might help if the band were doing more shows.

Anyway - I am grateful for my tickets and cannot wait for Manchester

U2 forever

Lisa

EPandAmerica said:

I did not have to buy any scalped tickets this tour, thank God, but I did last tour, and I bought them from a broker (so I got fucked by a broker not a fan). It was a last minute trip on a Saturday, so I flew in to Phoenix and just went straight to a broker that I found in the phone book. I probably could have found a fan with an extra ticket, but I wanted to get in line ASAP.

I guess I just have a soft heart, I see post after post of fans that did not get one single ticket, and I can't believe that other fans can not help them out and sell to them at face value. Why should they be punished for not getting a ticket and have to pay more just because some one else was lucky enough to get that ticket?

FYI ---- This tour I bought or traded for all of these tickets at face value, and the ones I ended up not needing I sold to fans here on this board for face value. Yes, I could have used that extra money for those Chgo & San Jose tickets if I would have put them on Ebay, but I went with my heart instead of my head.

Two seats for SD1
Two seats for SJ1
Four GA for SJ2
Two GA Phx 1
Two GA Phx 2
One seat Denver 2
Two GA for Chgo May 9th
Two Seats for Chgo May 10th
One GA Boston #? (spring)
Two GA Houston
Two GA Dallas

So in the end I guess I hate brokers, but they are scum and we KNOW what to expect from them, but I think it is worse when a fan chooses to go down that scum road.

You are so noble, I am in awe of you...

Forget about the ethical arguments of fans scalping fans for a second. Selling your tickets that you obtained from the only legitimate source (TM) for a large profit, then turning around and using that money to buy from an unauthorized source -- some dude on Ebay -- is just foolish. Tickets obtained from unauthorized sources may be lost, stolen or counterfeit and if so, are VOID. The opportunities for fraud on the secondary ticket market are numerous. Ticket scalping is a dirty business. If you choose to operate in this gray market, you take your chances. Some of you will be learning a painful lesson. I don't want to see that happen. It's just one of the ways Karma can get you.

Back
Top Bottom