Vote up or down on having a GA Lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote up or down for having a GA Lottery system

• up / yes

Votes: 143 40.1%
  • down / no

Votes: 214 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it should be first-come first serve. And I say that as someone who has been fortunate enough to get into the Ellipse twice (once after "earning it", so to speak, by waiting outside overnight, and once after arriving at the venue at 5:00 PM with a seated ticket, grabbing a GA at 6:00 PM, and getting lucky at about 7:00 PM).

What convinced me? Especially since I was the beneficiary of the lottery system?

Being several rows off the rail in the Ellipse last night in Milwaukee and witnessing firsthand what I have seen described here and in other forums; namely a large number of people in there who clearly had no appreciation for the magnitude of thier good fortune. Screwing around, not paying attention, talking throughout the whole show, etc. An example--the couple behind me HAVING A VERY LOUD CONVERSATION during Miss Sarajevo. Bono's up there belting out the Pavarotti part and these people are yelling about some inane shit that they could easily have discussed before or after the show. Many others around me didn't seem to know any of the songs.

When I think of all the die-hards who were outside the Ellipse and who would have appreciated being inside it so much more than many of those who got in, it makes me realize that although the band was trying to be egalitarian with the lottery system, all they accomplished was to ensure that a certain percentage (how large or small probably depends on the city, etc.) of the people who have the best spots at any given show may not be fans--even casual fans. I wonder if that vibe makes it up to the stage, or if they really only have awareness of the first few rows, which are usually filled with enthusiasm...

Wasn't one of the reasons the band did this so that they wouldn't see the exact same people in the front every night, as they supposedly did on the Elevation tour?

I like very much how it gives fans who don't have the ability to wait starting at 7am -- or before -- the opportunity to be in there.

knox said:
Wasn't one of the reasons the band did this so that they wouldn't see the exact same people in the front every night, as they supposedly did on the Elevation tour?

People still find a way in to the front row.

Nevermind the lottery; there are still problems with the lines themselves- why isn't U2 running them? Why isn't it consistent at every arena? Bruce Springsteen's people runs his lines and they do a damn good job at it. You know what to expect, good or bad. Furthermore, no one had to wait in line at the Vertigo Boston shows. We were wristbanded whenever we arrived and allowed to go off for the day, just told to return at 5 before the doors opened to have your wristband honored. If U2 security ran the lines they could do this, and free up everyone's afternoon so no one has to wait. U2 know how improtant this is to fans, they know hundreds queue up before shows - last tour over-night, probably this tour, too- and I don't think it's too much for them to properly regulate this.

It seems U2's security is so far out of it, at least from this example: last leg in Boston one of U2's security guys came outside, and told the Fleetcenter's security guy to put everyone in ONE line, rather than the "u2.com" and "non-u2.com" line, AFTER everyone had already been separated! This created mass confusion and the next day the Fleetcenter security guy did it according to the "rules"- 2 lines, the entire time. (Whether or not those rules are a good idea is neither here no there. I was just stupified that a U2 security would botch things up so badly.)

I personally hate the lottery system for many reasons, but I'd like them to at least start handling the lines correctly.

oliveu2cm said:

Nevermind the lottery; there are still problems with the lines themselves- why isn't U2 running them? Why isn't it consistent at every arena? Bruce Springsteen's people runs his lines and they do a damn good job at it. You know what to expect, good or bad. Furthermore, no one had to wait in line at the Vertigo Boston shows. We were wristbanded whenever we arrived and allowed to go off for the day, just told to return at 5 before the doors opened to have your wristband honored. If U2 security ran the lines they could do this, and free up everyone's afternoon so no one has to wait. U2 know how improtant this is to fans, they know hundreds queue up before shows - last tour over-night, probably this tour, too- and I don't think it's too much for them to properly regulate this.

It seems U2's security is so far out of it, at least from this example: last leg in Boston one of U2's security guys came outside, and told the Fleetcenter's security guy to put everyone in ONE line, rather than the "u2.com" and "non-u2.com" line, AFTER everyone had already been separated! This created mass confusion and the next day the Fleetcenter security guy did it according to the "rules"- 2 lines, the entire time. (Whether or not those rules are a good idea is neither here no there. I was just stupified that a U2 security would botch things up so badly.)

I personally hate the lottery system for many reasons, but I'd like them to at least start handling the lines correctly.

:drool:

smart girl

oliveu2cm said:

I admit that was true at first 3 out of 4 shows in the front in the ellipse.

After that I got snabbed at Philly #2 due to a flaw in the GA line system. After that incident bad luck in Boston.:sad:

I do not think the band should handle the General Admission line. First off we all paid to get into the show. If you look at any other show at a club, or arena its first come first serve there. The venue handles you when you come into the arena. It would cost the band more time and money to handle it. This way of handling it with stupid scanners that are pre-selected to odd numbers SUCKS BALLS!!! As fans we should put time into our ticket. Even if we paid $50 to$300 to $1000 to get in. Its a way to make up for the money we spent and how much that spot on the floor costs us. If we paid $500 to get to the outer part of the ellipse then it was a freakin waste of money. Thats how I consider it. You put time getting your ticket and you get the most out of it by the amount of time or when/or how early you show up. I got the most out of paying $300 a ticket for one show on the Elevation tour and it was worth it by the amount of time I put in waiting in line.

Last edited:
The lottery simply sucks. Bono consistently says the diehard fans are selfish. All I can say is that anyone that isn't in line before the doors open DOES DESERVE to be inside.

I've been going to concerts for over 20 years, and even with reserved seats I normally get there before 7pm.

With G.A., I was always in line before the doors opened, even if it was just Alanis Morrisette. That's what a music fan does.

But as everyone else has long ago noticed (and one can't help but wonder how the band hasn't) almost everyone beyond the first few rows are dead as doornails.

They don't know ANY new songs, aside from Vertigo. They don't know any non-hit songs. They talk during the songs they don't know.

I hate that even if you manage to get in, you're taken out of the moment by these non-fans.

If they want to stop camping, just have a lottery to determine the front of the line at 10:00am. It eliminates camping, it eliminates saving places and it eliminates the people who arne't really fans from getting up close and standing around.

kcrays said:
The lottery simply sucks. Bono consistently says the diehard fans are selfish. All I can say is that anyone that isn't in line before the doors open DOES DESERVE to be inside.

I've been going to concerts for over 20 years, and even with reserved seats I normally get there before 7pm.

With G.A., I was always in line before the doors opened, even if it was just Alanis Morrisette. That's what a music fan does.

But as everyone else has long ago noticed (and one can't help but wonder how the band hasn't) almost everyone beyond the first few rows are dead as doornails.

They don't know ANY new songs, aside from Vertigo. They don't know any non-hit songs. They talk during the songs they don't know.

I hate that even if you manage to get in, you're taken out of the moment by these non-fans.

If they want to stop camping, just have a lottery to determine the front of the line at 10:00am. It eliminates camping, it eliminates saving places and it eliminates the people who arne't really fans from getting up close and standing around.

Great point! I like the idea of a lottery at 10:00 AM as well, although I still think "first come, first serve" is how it should be.:up:

STING2 said:

Great point! I like the idea of a lottery at 10:00 AM as well, although I still think "first come, first serve" is how it should be.:up:

I would agree, but we all know that the system last tour was corrupt. Many people were placed on the list while they were at another concert. And that happened, because people kept showing up earlier and earlier for the line up (at the last show it started more than 48hours before the show). At that show, a guy who got in line at 10:00pm the night before the show was behind a girl who went to tampa, which ended around 11:00pm!!!

This ends that. You still have to have the desire to stand in line, but you can also get some sleep. I also think you should have to stay in line or have scheduled check ins every hour or 2 throughout the day.

Kevin

kcrays said:

I disagree.:down: The lottery should remain. And first come first served should prevail. I also disagree with the comment that people beyond the first few rows are dead as doornails......SO not true! Everyone has a differing opinion. If you don't enjoy the environment then simply don't go.

Carek1230 said:

I disagree.:down: The lottery should remain. And first come first served should prevail. I also disagree with the comment that people beyond the first few rows are dead as doornails......SO not true! Everyone has a differing opinion. If you don't enjoy the environment then simply don't go.

You're so right. Those people in Chicago that talked about work through OOTS were so into the show, and the 50-60 people that streamed out of the ellipse 45 minutes before the show ended it were SO EXCITED to be in the ellipse.

As for not going, it's a given. If the policy remains, I will cease doing any business with Not Us LTD.

Carek1230 said:

Its either the lottery or "first come first serve". First come, first serve can't prevail when the organized system is a lottery.

STING2 said:

Its either the lottery or "first come first serve". First come, first serve can't prevail when the organized system is a lottery.

It can prevail if you are at the front of the line and still get selected into the ellipse or if not outside of the ellipse.

You know, having gotten front row of the rail on Wednesday night, I'm going to say that I'd rather get there at 6:30am and get front row of the rail than camp overnight and get 3rd row of the ellipse (if it were first come first served).

And with 10/19 being my only GA experience, I'm also going to say I'm all for the lottery to get rid of shady fan practices. The line was run pretty well on Wednesday, but there were a few dick moves. First off, I'll say that half the people in the very front, while they slept overnight, were out of line for hours on end during the daytime. What the hell is that? So you slept overnight, but you can leave for most of the show day? That's crap. Also, I'm very glad that the lady with U2 came out a few minutes before doors opened because there were some shady dealings for a while. Some folks were trying to convince the MCI people to let the Fan Club line in 10 minutes early--and then telling all the rest of us that it happened that way at every other venue, when it certainly did not. That's crap.

As cool as all us U2 fans are, we really can't be allowed to do much more with lines than putting numbers on our hands. Ouside of that, the band needs to run the line & the GA rules (it can't be the venue because then you'll have different practices all over).

Super_Fan said:

It can prevail if you are at the front of the line and still get selected into the ellipse or if not outside of the ellipse.

That assumes you will remain in your spot once inside the building and not go to the bathroom which could make for a rather nasty experience.

The goal here is simply getting into the ellipse period. Once inside the ellipse, your rist band allows you to go to the bathroom, get a drink, and still be allowed back in. I had one friend on the Elevation tour who thought once you got in, you could not go out and come back in. He did his business in the middle of the Heart while friends stood around him in horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom