Volunteers Needed to Broadcast U2 Shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gorman

Refugee
After broadcasting 3 U2 shows live in a row, I'd say it's been a huge success! I would really like to see this continue on for the remainder of the tour. However, for that to be possible, I really need the help of those going to upcoming shows. I already have a confirmed source for Detroit, but nothing after that thus far.

All you need is a phone and ideally free nights with your cell provider (or a boatload of minutes you don't mind spending). I'll handle everything else. Here's exactly how it works:

1) During the opening band, I'll call you and do a sound check. I'll send you a text message with the results, and you can make minor adjustments (if needed and if possible)

2) You'll call my cell phone (I'll provide you with the number) when Arcade Fire's 'Wake Up' comes on (the song played right before U2 come on stage). As soon as I hear the music (you don't need to say anything), I'll hang up.

3) I'll then call you back through the computer (the number will come up as 000012345 or something similar on your caller ID). Just answer the call, and we're set!

4) If we get disconnected, I'll just call back.

Basically, once the show begins, all you have to do is hold the phone. Or, if you have a shirt with a pocket, you don't even need to hold the phone. However, if you feel this will detract from your experience at the show, I urge you not to do this. Your enjoyment of the show is most important to me.

So, if you're interested in this, please get in contact with me somehow! Either send an e-mail to g0rman@gmail.com or a message on AIM to g0rman (both 0's are zeros). Once I've confirmed sources for shows, I'll update this thread. Even if there is a confirmed source for a show you're going to, don't hesitate to still contact me. Having a backup source is always a good thing, and will allow us to get the best possible audio quality.

One thing I would like to try out is the use of a headset. If you have a wired or wireless (bluetooth) headset for your phone, please let me know about that when you get in touch with me. I have the feeling this will provide substantially better audio quality.

Finally, I will be the audio source for the St. Louis show, and hopefully one other. So, as you can imagine, I can't operate the broadcast at the same time. If someone out there feels technically competent in doing this (and possibly for other shows when I can't do it for whatever reason), please let me know. I will provide the login information for my Skype account (with plenty of SkypeOut minutes) and the Shoutcast server details. This would be a huge help!

P.S. Does anyone know of a J2ME application that allows you to stream audio/video (ideally to a RealVideo server) using a phone's built-in camera and Internet connection? I've found a few things similar to this, but nothing that's exactly what I'm looking for. As you can tell, my goal with this is to do live video streaming from a U2 show. How nifty would that be? :)

U2FanPeter said:
Do cell phones have mic inputs?

Sometimes plugging a mic into the headset jack works. I've only seen this work once though. That would be fantastic though.

Back
Top Bottom