U2 in Australia - Official Countdown Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
COBL_04 said:

No seriously, cos I'm a U2 concert virgin I need tips. When should I rock up. What time does it start. Can I run and stand at the barriers on Level 3. Will I be able to get on the bottom floor, maybe have a look at U2, even yell something at them when the concert's finished. Do they always play encores or does it depend on crowd reaction. How long usually between encores.

What I want to know mostly is will U2 come back at least once more before they retire? Cos I want to be at a concert where I'm right up front.

:bump: *ahem*

COBL_04,

If your seated at Level 3 at the Telstra Dome, then likely ness you will have to sit, or 100% more likely STAND and dance and whatnot in YOUR seat (unless of course your in the front row!), cause people who'd have the front row tickets, you'd annoy the crap out of them :lol:, Maybe you could stand in the Isles, I dont know....

Getting to the first level might not be do-able when you first get there, prehaps when the show starts, or Kanye comes on....More likely later on the show when the person holding the door could give two hoots about how is coming in and coming out....That said, do you want to part of the show walking down the stairs?, or on the elevator?.....You'll get a better view of everything even up the back of Level 3...rare level 1 is terrible, and for Green Day I spent 90% of the show staring at the screen.

There'll always be an Encore, at least there has been at every show for quite a while now, so....they'll come off and come back (and do it again as previously on the VT)

Last edited:
I would imagine that the next tour will definetely visit Australia, but not before it has been to USA, Canada and Europe. If the next album is out in Nov 2007 (which is the best case scenario), then we could see Aussie dates as soon as Feb/March 2009, just over 2 years on from upcoming November dates. But this is very optimistic thinking.

As to your other queries, I can't help you out cos ive never seen them live myself, but i am flying down to Australia for all 5 Sydney and Melbourne shows....... WOO-HOO!

bono_man2002 said:
There'll always be an Encore, at least there has been at every show for quite a while now, so....they'll come off and come back (and do it again as previously on the VT)

Yeah, U2 doesn't not do encores. You would be VERY hard-pressed to find a full tour concert that does not have an encore. There are, of course, early 1980s festivals and some examples from the Boy and October tours where U2 was the support act and thus no encore was played, but I am struggling to think of any examples of non-festival shows U2 headlined where they didn't play an encore. U2 has definitely played an encore at every full tour concert since 1987 - even the infamous 1989-12-18 show where Bono blew out his voice had a solitary 40 as the encore!

For the Vertigo Tour, U2 has typically been performing two encores of roughly three songs each. At some shows (not many), U2 has not taken the break between encores and just played one big one (with no loss of songs - in fact, when I saw them play one big encore, it was a seven rather than six song encore).

shortfuse said:
...... this is very optimistic thinking.

keep it up son :up: we need more of it :yes:

I wonder if U2 are here yet? I was at Patonga on theweekend and I saw Andrew Denton. I had a feeling he might have Bono stashed away in his beach house. I was imagining I could sense his presence nearby:hyper: :shh:

I am so excited....2 WEEKS!!!
Could someone please tell me who are the support bands for U2 in Brisbane? I don't really care but I would like to know who has the honour. Man I want time to go fast and slow. I get to see them for maybe 2 and a half hours if I'm lucky. I love them so much. I was so impressed with their acheivements up until 1999 and here it is, 7 years later and they have done so much more. Outside my family and garden they are my greatest joy in life.
God Bless them and all involved with the next leg of the tour. Be safe, be happy. If you hear someone calling out "the two best songwriters in the world" it will probably be me.

I may as well show you this now I'm here. I was making this a few ago but it kinda went pear shaped so I've given up on the idea. What does intrigue me is the large red fly that appeared from nowhere that appeared as i was painting and crawled all over my work.:bono:
Fly06.jpg

and this...2006 Clarence Senior Premiers. They didn't lose a game all season, bless their red and black socks
Bears06.jpg

I once suggested here that U2 may like to sponsor my son's soccer team...at least they took our club colours

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeya in Brisbane...with bells and whistles and gold platform shoes on
:wave:

as you were.......

cass said:
Could someone please tell me who are the support bands for U2 in Brisbane? I don't really care but I would like to know who has the honour.

Of all people, we're stuck with Kanye bloody West.

Axver said:

Of all people, we're stuck with Kanye bloody West.

Yeah, downer.

I don't dispute how well Sydney as a whole has sold. Near 1/4 million is pretty remarkable. Just that in my opinion (and perhaps only mine) shows with a noticeable number of empty seats lack a little of the special edge. I'm still be thrilled to be going though, regardless.

Rock N Roll Doggie,
Love your post. I myself don't have too many interests other than my family, house, garden AND U2 (and not necessarily in that order). I love everything they represent - not just the music. I'm going to one concert in Aust and its the first time I'll be seeing them. Getting sooooo excited - and have been on a roller coaster ride ever since they announced they would tour last year, ticket sale dates were announced, waited in line, got excited in Feb only to be incredibly disappointed but have waited patiently like so many others. I feel like shouting out from the rooftops but everyone at work and even friends just smile and laugh but I imagine they're just thinking I'm wierd for being so excited. I keep telling them that there are heaps of people out there more into U2 than me. Am counting down the days - 13 to go! Bring it on!

Axver said:

Kanye bloody West.

Axver, methinks you have been here to long. You're picking up the lingo. I'll never be able to think of that man again as anything other than Kanye Bloody West :lmao:
I myself would prefer Jamie Sexybits Foxx

but just as long as U flamin' 2 are there I don't mind if several thousand fat ladies are singing. ( although keep it down girls . It is Bono and Edge I really want to hear)

Hola Ruth Street, you're not alone. There are some hardcore U2 fans in the Great Southern Land. I would love to hang at the ANZ stadium and have Bono sign my Jimi Hendrix rare record ( Gloria nd All Along The Watchtower) and have him hear my tales of woe. I'll spare the poor boy. You'd think people my age would just stay home and knit a beanie or sumthin' :)

Hub said if I don't control my excitement and get some sleep I'll end up in a state....can i choose please? Hawaii December 9

Ruth Street said:
Getting sooooo excited - and have been on a roller coaster ride ever since they announced they would tour last year........

I feel like shouting out from the rooftops but everyone at work and even friends just smile and laugh but I imagine they're just thinking I'm wierd for being so excited.

Normally I can relate to this but this past year I think I've pushed the limits a bit to far with my friends. Its now beyond the smiles and laughs its the "god when is it going to be over with" look.

So instead i've focussed 'going on about U2" to my work colleagues. Yes - i now get the smiles, the laughs and the god you have gone mad look - but i'm providing them amusement and in return they are being a supportive bunch.

They patiently awaited my news of getting tickets, they endured my dissapointment of the cancellation, then the novelty to work our the holiday roster around when U2 may reschedule the tour, they got on board the excitement of the new dates been released, then helped me organise air tickets /accomadation to coincide with it....and now they are shouting across the corridors 'how many days?"

Without realising I think i've created U2 fans - one of the managers telling me there heading over to Sydney for a show due to getting caught up with the excitement. Work will just not be the same once this tour has finished.

U2 Bliss: I know the "eye rolling" feeling from friends about U2. Luckily, I have a fair few mates who are as obsessed as I am but all my others can't understand why I'm following them around the country and even over to New Zealand. Ahh well...

I can't believe it's so close... so hard to focus on study for uni. I know it's too early for any activity at ANZ stadium, but I keep checking anyway. On Tuesday there was a truck parked out front at 6pm and it was still there when I went past at about 11pm - however there was a mechanic there so it had obviously just broken down. Then on Wednesday when I was driving past- I swear somebody was baiting me - there were two semis parked INSIDE the gates of the stadium. I still have no idea what they were doing there, but i'm pretty sure they weren't vertigo related. I really need to stop being so obsessed... but come on, by next week there's going to be a bloody huge stage going up so close to where I live. Can't I be a little excited?

11 days to go!!! (Sorry fullautoreverse:)!)

miracledrug83 said:
U2 Bliss: I know the "eye rolling" feeling from friends about U2. Luckily, I have a fair few mates who are as obsessed as I am but all my others can't understand why I'm following them around the country and even over to New Zealand. Ahh well...

I can't believe it's so close... so hard to focus on study for uni. I know it's too early for any activity at ANZ stadium, but I keep checking anyway. On Tuesday there was a truck parked out front at 6pm and it was still there when I went past at about 11pm - however there was a mechanic there so it had obviously just broken down. Then on Wednesday when I was driving past- I swear somebody was baiting me - there were two semis parked INSIDE the gates of the stadium. I still have no idea what they were doing there, but i'm pretty sure they weren't vertigo related. I really need to stop being so obsessed... but come on, by next week there's going to be a bloody huge stage going up so close to where I live. Can't I be a little excited?

11 days to go!!! (Sorry fullautoreverse:)!)

Please keep us updated on developments! What time is everyone getting to ANZ?

U2 Bliss said:

So instead i've focussed 'going on about U2" to my work colleagues. Yes - i now get the smiles, the laughs and the god you have gone mad look - but i'm providing them amusement and in return they are being a supportive bunch.

hey hey Miss Bliss *hugs* how'ye doin darling :hug: ?!?!?

Soooooooo funny today at work ... I was having my break with a work friend of mine, and it suddenly dawned on me! I said to her ... oh my god! My friends from Perth will be here in TWO WEEKS TIME!!!!

Can you believe it?!?!?! :ohmy:

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what the hell shoes I'm going to wear, haha :wink:

BTW .. people who think you're MAD are just ... JEALOUS!!!!! :wink:

The WHOLE week or so that you are here is shaping up to be a very mental one!!!! And I am soooooooooo excited about it!!!!! Just think, you may even get to see Marty while you're here too .. that will be the icing on the cake won't it, haha!

My goodness, this whole YEAR so far has just been ... out of this world! And it's only going to get better it seems!

And if you are worried that you're perceived to be a bit nutty, don't worry about it! I must be stark raving bonkers in comparison, haha!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

TranceEnding said:
Soooooooo funny today at work ... I was having my break with a work friend of mine, and it suddenly dawned on me!
:wave: Hello TE......can you believe it??? I'm so bloody excited and I've not even seen them yet?? I'm not eating, I'm getting eye strain from being glued to interference and then i can't sleep......as for my work, good job they are so understanding as my productivity level is rock bottom now. All i can say is I'm glad U2 only tour Oz every now and then cos I just can't cope with the excitement of it all. Can't wait to come over to Melbourne I'm sure it will be as mad as ever - oh and the memories of the Zoo tv tour are still live - poor Bel won't know whats hit her!!!

TranceEnding said:
Right now, I'm trying to figure out what the hell shoes I'm going to wear, haha :wink:
Decisions decisions ...life is to hard ha ha. Its a good job we are not relying on you to scour the neighbour for U2 sightings. I recommend Chappel Street you may catch Bono and Ali shopping !!!!

Miracledrug83 we are relying on you for the serious sightings okay? Anything to report yet????

dazzlingamy said:
*dances around*

In two weeks i will have seen my first u2 show! OMFG OMFG!!!

None of my friends care, so please everyone, get excited with me! I need some excitement from other fans!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO
IN TWO WEEKS TIME I WILL BE LINING UP FOR MY FIRST EVER U2 CONCERT AND IT WILL BE MY 21st BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!
IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just wish i didnt have exams to do before then :mad:

dazzlingamy said:
*dances around*

In two weeks i will have seen my first u2 show! OMFG OMFG!!!

None of my friends care, so please everyone, get excited with me! I need some excitement from other fans!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!

:D Wow - it’s so fantastic to see so many ‘first timers’ on this Oz tour. I hope you are all going to be in GA......the atmosphere will be unbelievable with all you there.

Your first U2 show – let me say you never forget your first time !!!! To this day, I still count my first U2 concert (Lovetown tour) as one of my all time favourite concerts. :drool:

I still remember my first one.. arh god its so close now, i was beginning to think this would never come. Such a crazy year and now U2.

im on cloud 9... so happy for all you first timers,cherish it cause it on one awesome experience

Is anyone else wide awake in Australia like me? I just checked the RAGE ABC playlist for this morning ( Sunday bloody early Sunday)
I Will Follow - U2 Mercury
New Year's Day - U2 Polydor
Gloria - U2 Mercury
Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2 Polydor
4:30am Pride (In The Name Of Love) - U2 Polydor
With Or Without You - U2 Polydor
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2 Polydor
Where The Streets Have No Name - U2 Mercury
Angel Of Harlem - U2 Polydor
All I Want Is You - U2 Mercury
5:00am The Fly - U2 Polydor
Mysterious Ways - U2 Mercury
Lemon - U2 Mercury
Sweetest Thing - U2 Mercury
Beautiful Day - U2 Universal
Elevation - U2 Universal
Vertigo - U2 Universal

:)

I picked the winner in the Cox Plate yesterday. Horse #2 Fields of Omagh...seemed obvious to me, "Peace On Earth...or else" I can't wait till Melbourne Cup Day. I know I'm on a winner that day.
First time I saw U2 was astounding but unfortunately I had seats in a similar position to what I'll have on the 7th. Catergorised as silver, but too far to the side and front for my liking, you tend yo muiss the effect of the stage/light show from there.
But the second time
:ohmy: :heart: was THE night of my musical life...so close and not so very far away. The music gods were on my side that night.
Anyway 4:15 my fellow insomniacs...except 4:15? computer says nooooo, change your settings for daylight saving. What is the time?
U2 o'clock
:hyper:
I saw my dad yesterday. He bought me the U2 concert ticket. He knows I love Bone-o ( as he pronounces it) :) and is so happy for me.
I am so excited I think I may well :combust:. I got a call from the hospital on friday asking could I come to a pre-op clinic on Tuesday 7th November
I said "NO WAY JOSE. I've had a LONNNNNNNNNG-standing appointment that must be kept"
:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom