To those moaning about fans sitting down...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileplease

The Fly
...you're right, it's stressful. There's nothing worse than being at a gig where those around you behave like they're at a funeral.

But it's just the way it is. No matter how good a gig, there'll always be people that sit down. It's just the luck of the draw if you're at the back or not (or too high up). That's why I kept rereshing my PC when Ticketmaster were offering me crap seats at the back. It risked not getting any at all in the hope that I'll get some decent ones...which I did in the end, to the side of the stage.

Rather than it being about people being English, it's more to do with the distance from the stage. The atmos way back is never the same no matter how loud or good the gig is.

It's unfortunate, but nevertheless, U2 had the whole place rocking several times over last night (and Saturday too). Which is more than can be said for most other stadium artists.

The only thing that did suprise me, is that on both nights, there was little effort to whip up the crowd before the band came on stage. During the Zoo TV and Elevation tours, the PA was turned right up long before the band came on stage. But they don't seem to be doing that with the Vertigo tour. Weird.

And I also don't get the tune they walk out to. It's ok, but it doesn't spark a crowd reaction (apart from U2 nutter slike us which represent about 1% of the crowd) unlike the Zoo TV intro, or the remix of Elevation on the last tour.

Just a thought and a touch of my own, very, humble opinion.

agree about lack of build up. im manchester it seemed like they just walked on out of nowhere. no anticipation, people in toilets, buying drinks etc.
need to build it up for say half an hour, gradually turn up pa etc

on Saturday the PA definitely went up when Arcade Fire began playing out, but before then i think youre right...

I don't know about anyone else, but Wake Up is the most awesome song I could imagine to open the shows. As soon as that song came on I started freaking out. Not many other people did, as I was in the highest row of seats in the whole arena. It makes for awesoem bootleg intros though. :wink:

smileplease said:
.And I also don't get the tune they walk out to. It's ok, but it doesn't spark a crowd reaction (apart from U2 nutter slike us which represent about 1% of the crowd) unlike the Zoo TV intro, or the remix of Elevation on the last tour.

Just a thought and a touch of my own, very, humble opinion.

I think you're right. If it's the song Wake Up by Arcade Fire, I don't get it....it's just not a good intro song compared to the Elevation Remix, Popmusic or the ZooTV nuremburg scenes from Triumph of the West...

It just doesn't get the crowd going really...

and also the song to end on - Vertigo? I much preferred the idea of '40' as in the US shows...

I'm hoping they'll play it in Dublin

final song

if Sunday is anything to go by Vertigo is a great song to end the show with

The problem is that I'm not at every gig.

If U2 cloned me and sat 50,000 Travis Kramers out there, you better believe we'll burn the joint to the foundation.

So clone me and send us to every gig. There, I've solved your problem of people sitting, AND you'll have beautiful people in every seat.

tkramer said:

If U2 cloned me and sat 50,000 Travis Kramers out there, you better believe we'll burn the joint to the foundation.

So clone me and send us to every gig. There, I've solved your problem of people sitting, AND you'll have beautiful people in every seat.

:lol: tell you what, let's clone 25,000 of you and 25,000 of me, that way there will be some diversity - y'know, boys and girls.

Wake Up is an amazing intro song, everytime I hear it I get unnaturally excited :drool:

tkramer said:

:hmm: But what about the arena shows, all the Travises wouldn't be able to get in. :sad:

Last edited:
DanB said:
Hey whats going on with the wild and crazy europeans i've been hearing so much about.? Turning into dullards like the americans?

One love, one blood, one life, you got to do what you should.
One life with each other: sisters, brothers.
One life, but we are the same?

I think it's true...Europe has forgotten how hard it is to get 50,000 people to go ballistic all at once. Aside from the World Cup, that is. U2 fans are just as crazy everywhere. The "my country has better U2 fans than your country" is all accuostics, perspective, bias, rationalization, perception, and wishful thinking. :wink:

EXCEPTION: ALBUQUERQUE, NM, US of A - They really are all ape-shit crazy here. U2 doesn't even know.

You know what's so ironic, lot's of times when I have nose bleeds the crowd is more into it. Probably because it's younger folks who couldn't afford to pay $300 to a broker and had to buy the $80 nosebleeds from Ticketmaster. Anyhow, lot's of times I have sat next to some great people in the nosebleeds. And in the really expensive golden circle right by the stage seats there are always a lot of duds. I just block it out if I am sitting next to a zombie. I scream at the top of my lungs and have a smile from to ear.:rockon:

Peyote is an illegal substance, that can impair your judgement, thank you...New Mexican's prefer high levels of liquor mixed with Chevy.

As I am sure you know. :wink:

u2valleygirl said:
You know what's so ironic, lot's of times when I have nose bleeds the crowd is more into it. Probably because it's younger folks who couldn't afford to pay $300 to a broker and had to buy the $80 nosebleeds from Ticketmaster. Anyhow, lot's of times I have sat next to some great people in the nosebleeds. And in the really expensive golden circle right by the stage seats there are always a lot of duds. I just block it out if I am sitting next to a zombie. I scream at the top of my lungs and have a smile from to ear.:rockon:

Alright, now that would be an interesting study. What effects has higher ticket prices had on the intesity of a crowd? I would like to see those numbers. I could wager a guess though...

neutral said:

:hmm: But what about the arena shows, all the Travises wouldn't be able to get in. :sad:

I think we need 25,000 ticketmasters and scalpers have an equal chance at getting tickets with the rest of us (even though they supposivley get them before us)

I sat down for most of Anahiem II....I had a bad back from the opening 3 shows, runs in the family......, and i was in the front row on the top level, so the person behind me could see :wink: (I'm 6'4)

cmb737 said:
Peyote is an illegal substance, that can impair your judgement, thank you...New Mexican's prefer high levels of liquor mixed with Chevy.

As I am sure you know. :wink:
I was just testing you, of course. Let's shake on it. You know the secret handshake, right?

cmb737 said:

Alright, now that would be an interesting study. What effects has higher ticket prices had on the intesity of a crowd? I would like to see those numbers. I could wager a guess though...

It's true. John Lennon used to say that all he could hear from the people up front was the jingling of jewelery and in back he could hear the fans screaming.

Back
Top Bottom