The weak link in the new DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
catlhere said:
I think the 80's voice was his peak, when he had the falsetto

Actually, he never learned how to use a falsetto until the Zoo tours. What you are hearing during the JT and Lovetown days is Bono's full vocal range without any learned falsetto. Its quite incredible really. His power and raw vocal range put him in a unique class of singers because he could reach a vocal high without any falsetto.

...that said, he does have a wicked falsetto these days.

The great crime I see in this DVD is the foolish exclusion of "Bad". It's definately on the bands best live songs (and for that matter best songs period). The few versions I've heard from this tour have been fantastic and for the life of me I cannot understand why it wasn't included on this DVD. Shame on someone!!!

Roland of Gilead said:

Actually, he never learned how to use a falsetto until the Zoo tours. What you are hearing during the JT and Lovetown days is Bono's full vocal range without any learned falsetto. Its quite incredible really. His power and raw vocal range put him in a unique class of singers because he could reach a vocal high without any falsetto.

...that said, he does have a wicked falsetto these days.

I hope by wicked you mean 'weak'.

Bono's opera singing on Miss Sarajevo at the Oakland shows last week was mind-blowing. Hands down, the best I've ever heard him live, and I've been to 16 shows over the years.

The old cat still has it.

I much prefer his voice now to the one he used to put on in the early eighties.

IMO some of their earliest performances are spoiled because of the trend of male UK singers back then to put on a stupid slurring into their voice at the end of words.

Thank god that had gone out of fashion by the time JT got around.

Listen to the latest bootleg on the go from Piitsburgh, he sounds amazing! During a tour, you can't be singing your best night after night. After singing during one show my voice was gone, I can't imagaine doing it for months on end.

My comment is, I got the Pittsburgh bootleg, I was at the show, on the rail. I was amazed to hear all the bad notes on the boot, that I didn't notice in person. Yet he hit every note of Miss Sarjevo and Sometimes You Cant Make It. Maybe he was saving it for those songs. I know that I was so wrapped up in everything going on around me that I didn't notice his voice at the show.

Counting the hours til I get out of work so I can run to Best Buy and get the DVD.

NamelessStreets said:
I think the reason it bothers me is because in his prime, I think he had the greatest rock voice of all time, even better than Freddy Mercury, and now I hate it when he holds back so much because he just cant reach the notes anymore.

It's FreddIE.

tommycharles said:
I dunno, I just saw a preview of the DVD on VH1, and on all the songs they showed (City, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Sometimes, Streets), his voice was fantastic. Particularly Beautiful Day, where he nailed the second verse at full force (rather than holding back on the high notes as he does on both Elevation DVDs). Also the "ooh yeah"s at the beginning of Streets are:drool:

To be honest, the only thing I don't like about what I just saw was all the hands in the way on City/Vertigo. It's like the DVD captures the only bad part about actually being there.

ironicly all the hands in the way durring city and vertigo is exactly what i dislike the most about the dvd...

and the chanting durring streets is... well... out of tune.

just watched the dvd... pretty good, IMO, though i still like the elevation dvd more.

2 observations:

1st, why did they record this only 6 weeks into the tour? i saw them a few weeks ago in boston and the show was a much tighter show. as i was watching the dvd i kept thinking maybe they should have been on the road a few more months to work out the kinks, etc... they just seem more comfortable now having been out on the road for several months.

2nd, bono's "woohoo's" in elevation are definately pre-recorded. about 2 minutes into the song he's doing a series of them and then on the last one he's probably about 5 feet from the mic. maybe the 'standard woohoos' are pre-recorded and he throws in a few of his own here and there?? regardless, i love this version of the song they're doing on this tour.

I think his voice this tour is AWESOME!!!!!
The only weakest link on the dvd is to have a U2 live show that again includes Pride:madspit: :wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I don't really see why people can't admit that Bono's voice is not as good as it once was. Doing so doesn't imply that his voice is shit. But it's ridiculous for anyone to argue that Bono is "in his prime" or is singing as well as he once was. The fact that Edge is now singing much closer to the forefront (on the Chicago DVD, during the chorus of "Streets," Edge takes the melody on "...burning down love," and Bono drops down) is proof of this.

In my opinion, Joshua Tree and ZooTV were unquestionably, indisputably the best two tours for Bono VOCALLY.

JTRevelator15 said:
In my opinion, Joshua Tree and ZooTV were unquestionably, indisputably the best two tours for Bono VOCALLY.

I'd say Lovetown (when Bono wasn't sick) totally demolishes both the JT and ZooTV tours. Streets from 26 December 1989 illustrates just how diverse Bono's range was at that time.

JTRevelator15 said:
I don't really see why people can't admit that Bono's voice is not as good as it once was. Doing so doesn't imply that his voice is shit. But it's ridiculous for anyone to argue that Bono is "in his prime" or is singing as well as he once was. The fact that Edge is now singing much closer to the forefront (on the Chicago DVD, during the chorus of "Streets," Edge takes the melody on "...burning down love," and Bono drops down) is proof of this.

because he has actually learned how to sing now imo, maybe the chigago DVD isnt the best example as i heard bono was suffering with a cold at the time (but personally thought he sounded better than the boston dvd), but the bono of today now has a technique to his singing imo, plus we now have the pavorotti part in miss sarajevo, and i think bono has even admitted somewhere he used to use his voice in the wrong way, during the JT and ZooTv era's, i have also heard people say they prefer his voice now to back on the JT tour,

No one person is right in this debate but I still must disagree! I'll take his 80's era voice over today's any day of the week. His most beautiful/powerful (in my opinion) vocals, i.e. With or Without You, Heartland, One Tree Hill, etc. are from the 80's era. Like Axver says, anything he did on Lovetown, blows anything else out of the water in terms of how balanced his voice is in terms of strength and range. He has incredible range going from a deep throaty song like God,P2 to hitting higher toned notes like the "oh great ocean" of One Tree Hill. Or to take Axver's example I think he mentioned the Streets where Bono has such intensity with these big "OOOMF"s and "UUUGHF"s before the bridge of the song I believe, but still can end with this really high cry at the conclusion. I don't see how anyone after listening to that could agrue that Bono's voice is better now. Unless it becomes a pride issue, which of course would only be in the name of love :wink: not logic. AND THAT'S A FACT! In my opinion. =P

As for the weakest link in the DVD. I hate to say it, but Larry just made me feel so damn bored every time I watched him. Does music even interest him anymore? :huh:

catlhere said:
No one person is right in this debate but I still must disagree! I'll take his 80's era voice over today's any day of the week. His most beautiful/powerful (in my opinion) vocals, i.e. With or Without You, Heartland, One Tree Hill, etc. are from the 80's era. Like Axver says, anything he did on Lovetown, blows anything else out of the water in terms of how balanced his voice is in terms of strength and range. He has incredible range going from a deep throaty song like God,P2 to hitting higher toned notes like the "oh great ocean" of One Tree Hill. Or to take Axver's example I think he mentioned the Streets where Bono has such intensity with these big "OOOMF"s and "UUUGHF"s before the bridge of the song I believe, but still can end with this really high cry at the conclusion. I don't see how anyone after listening to that could agrue that Bono's voice is better now. Unless it becomes a pride issue, which of course would only be in the name of love :wink: not logic. AND THAT'S A FACT! In my opinion. =P

As for the weakest link in the DVD. I hate to say it, but Larry just made me feel so damn bored every time I watched him. Does music even interest him anymore? :huh:
i found bono's voice of the 80's was great yes, BUT there were times when it would get annoying, simply because he wasnt singing properly, and instead he was singing from his throat, i just find his technique to be improved,

also, i think its harsh to slag larry of, playing the drums is pretty hard i would imagine, plus the pain he must feel at times,

KUEFC09U2 said:
i found bono's voice of the 80's was great yes, BUT there were times when it would get annoying, simply because he wasnt singing properly, and instead he was singing from his throat, i just find his technique to be improved,

also, i think its harsh to slag larry of, playing the drums is pretty hard i would imagine, plus the pain he must feel at times,

Yea I think sometimes Bono could use a little tweaking too. Some of the "with or without you"s on Rattle and Hum sound like he's Kermit the Frog :huh:

And yes I know drums must be really hard, but sheesh I don't even think he smiled once til the very end. I dunno, maybe that's just his personality but I can't see someone like Bono hanging out with someone like Larry, they seem like people that would get on eachother's nerves.:lol:

Obviously they must have some sort of chemistry though, which is why they never broke up. And I liXes that alot!

This means more U2 for years to come! And thats so nice!

larry is always pretty funny in interviews etc, as i said, must be hard for him to smile while he is concentrating so hard on his playing,

KUEFC09U2 said:
larry is always pretty funny in interviews etc, as i said, must be hard for him to smile while he is concentrating so hard on his playing,

That's true. Viva Larry Mullen Band. Good point.

YOU=WINNAR!

i agree his voice was a little lacking on some songs on the dvd... but overall it was OK. I also heard that he had a cold in Chicago because when I saw him in Philly I (show right after Chicago IV)and NJ 2 his voice got better and better. Honestly, they should have filmed the 3rd leg, his voice sounded so much better. I think the most disappointing thing is the lack of fan shots.... the boston dvd and slane dvd had some really great shots of the fans going nuts, this one didn't and it gave me the feeling that it was all about the band (age is definitely showing) and not about the experience you get watching 20,000 people go crazy. maybe the crowd was lacking???? was it me, or did they seem a little stiff up there?

BONO SOUNDS LIKE SHIT ON THE DVD!!(well i have only seen the tv special but man does he sound like a cracking horse or what!!!

im not buying this dvd!!!
:rockon:

Bono's voice is definitely much different now than it was twenty years ago. He lacks the power he once had, and he does have nights when his voice frequently cracks. But I think that, when he's on, Bono is still a very good rock singer with a very distinctive sound and style. Plus, he has the one thing that he has retained throughout his career, the one thing that separates him from the vast majority of the wanna-bes out there: his passion. Even when his voice fails him, he still sings with feeling and meaning, and that makes him always worth listening to as far as I'm concerned.

It's a shame, charging €80 for a ticket and getting a singer who sounds like ... ehhr...

Back
Top Bottom