The Official: North America got Fucked Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this thread is hilarious. The correct answer to this is no one got f'ckd. I remember reading about ALOT of Euro fans that were pissed that all they were getting was stadium shows and that N. America was getting the more intimate ones. Now we see the reverse.

Fact of the matter is, its seeing two different shows essentially. Personally, I would like to see both. But I wouldnt want it to be exclusively stadiums or arenas given the choice. I have seen U2 many times in both types of venues and the best shows I saw had nothing to do with the stage or production. It was the performance and the songs played. My top two shows were Chicago 10-30-87 which was bare bones, nothing but music and 6-29-97 Chicago which was the massive production of Popmart. WHY? Because they were great performances. The Lemon at 6-29 didnt make it my all time favorite show!! :laugh: Its U2, just enjoy it regardless.

Last edited:
well, I skipped pages 3-13 (most of 2 too).

I propose no opening act in order to give U2 another hour to play. Play for an hour, hour and a half - take a break/intermission. Play some more. And we get 2 legs, some get none. Stop the 'U.S. got f**ked'.

Oh, and denial is not just a river in Egypt Dalton - :lmao:

financeguy said:
I'm just mystified how any sane person could say that "North America got f***ed" considering that of this tour's first three legs, only one of them is based outside North America.

Sorry, but some of you people are. :eyebrow:

Okay, okay, enough!!!

Patronising Public Service Announcement

Um. Sorry, but it needs saying:

this.thread.is.supposed.to.be.humourous.

I.think.it.is.a.parody.of.all.the.whinging.whining.
moaning.sissies.who.can't.just.enjoy.what.they.have.
when.people.in.various.other.countries.don't.get.to.
see.them.at.all.

Hence the dots, ie full stop/period/point mark:especially.for.anyone.who.does.not.get.the.point.

Anyone remember all that crap, around 3 months ago?

"We're going to sue the band..."

"Sellout corporate whores..."

"Bono's a bastard I hate him and his children too, they all deliberately stopped me getting tickets..."

"I wanted 299 GA tickets and I only managed to get 298...."
GRRRRRRR.

"U2 personally run Ticketmaster..."

"Being busy spending time with seriously ill family members rehearsing in bewteen flying to and from other countries on serious political missions is no excuse for not personally doing a show in my back yard..." :banghead:

"Edge's hat is a tea cosy..."

"Bono's arse is too big..."

:blahblah: ad infinitum. That's how it felt to me, anyway.

In other words - as finance guy succinctly said (to the wrong people:wink: ) :

Bunch of complaining ninnies.

I'm sure everyone does get it really and is just joining in with our silliness. :bump:

Last edited:
the title to this thread made me laugh. the European leg will be great, just like the NA leg was.

Hewson said:

Those of us who go to shows for the music got gently stroked by the band leading to a wonderful climax, and will get to experience this again in the fall.

What a lovely way of putting it. So to speak. :lmao:

I've got it! Let's start an online petition so U2 really know how we've been fucked over!! And if that doesn't work we'll protest outside the next grammies!!

Last edited:
Dalton said:

Promise? :flirt:

Its funny to me that this thread is still going.

B-A-N-ANA-AS

Heeeellll yeah! i'd forgotten about that. So, Dalton I dedicate this one to you:

THIS THREAD'S BANANAS: B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Bananas.jpg

worshipbanana.gif

(Thanks to Headache In A Suitcase and inmyplace13 for the images.)

Vorsprung said:
As I stated before JR#9, you don't understand.

I don't need a clear close up view of the band where I can see what colour shoelaces they use. If I want that, I can buy the DVD. It's about a total sensory experience and it's about the crowd....it's about the crowd going wild while there are four men playing.
Also the video screens are cool to watch sometimes, but most of the time (even at the very back) I look at the stage. The stage lighting and the little ants on the stage performing, making the crowd go wild. A geat band as u2 can maken an enitre stadium go wild making it all blend together to one big spectavle that's bigger than the sum of it parts (the stage, the lights, the music, the performance, the crowd)

I agree. To me it's obviously primarily about the music, but also about the *goes hippy for a second* vibe created by the crowd, in reponse to the show as well as the music. I see Bono as a born performer, he's a showman as much as a musician. The lack of a buzzing atmosphere can blunt the effect of any otherwise great gig.

*Ally* said:
the problem w/ the arena vs. stadium debate is that it's all based on personal preference!
:)

Like every other debate we have in this place thn. Near enough! :yes:

I really don't know, what all this chatter is about, because real fans should feel happy and not down - especially in the USA. Why?

1. U2 are on tour - until early 2005 this has been rather uncertain at all.
2. U2 are on a world tour for nearly a year - with at the moment especially the US and and most of the European fans having a lot of possibilities to see the band. And I hope, there will be other countries and continents announced soon ...
3. U2 have played great shows in the past weeks in the USA with mostly excellent setlists, musical spontaneity, rather intimate settings, strong audiences, political courage - and the fun to play that way: from BOY to DISMANTLE.
4. U2 still have the will to surprise us and themselves on tour and so they take it on, to go outdoor again. they put on a show, that in detail nobody of us here as any idea about. What will happen on stage in Brussels and further on? Which songs will they chose? Well, nobody knows - and I'm glad about that and looking forward to know Friday night!

So, stop whining here - it is absurd!

I still think it's just how you look at it!

The USA get's a more intimate show, Europe a bigger spectacle... Some Europeans may just have wanted a more intimate show while some Americans may just have wanted the stadium gig... It's very relative!

The only thing that makes ME feel that the stadium gig's are more special is that the indoor Vertigo tour still is Elevation's brother... Nothing new really... While this outdoor show is very fresh, even when you compare it with Popmart... That wat 8 years ago!

Arenas VS Stadiums... hmm lets look at it from the band's POV.

- ZooTV from Sydney video - stadium
- PopMart from Mexico - not stadium, but "stadium-size"
- Elevation from Slane - even bigger than stadium-size
- the unedited closing part (live) of R&H movie - stadium

- Elevation from Boston - Arena
- parts of R&H movie - arenas
(yes, there's also Red Rocks video, but from the era when U2 were not able to make a stadium show)

Dalton said:
I want to personally thank Achtung'yal, JR#9, and U2girl. Because of all of your ongoing posts of stupidity, my initial stupid post has been quite forgotten.

:dance:

Yes, 3 posters got 14 pages.

Nice work, Einstein.

Dalton said:

Same old, same old. It always someone elses fault with you....

Ever noticed that YOU are the common denominator in all these little disputes you have? Think on it.

:banghead: Did you even read what I said in the post you quoted when you said that?

Next time, I would apprecaite if you didn't jump on my throat for simply talking to another poster who quoted me. Insulting other posters will get you a long way, definitely.

(contrary to your belief, I would have quit posting pages ago but I don't think I need to take crap from you - news flash but several other posters got upset over this thread and I don't see you picking on them)

Last edited:
U2girl said:

:banghead: Did you even read what I said in the post you quoted when you said that?

Next time, I would apprecaite if you didn't jump on my throat for simply talking to another poster who quoted me. Insulting other posters will get you a long way, definitely.

(contrary to your belief, I would have quit posting pages ago but I don't think I need to take crap from you - news flash but several other posters got upset over this thread )

Slovenija...

Slovenija...:eyebrow:

Slovenija...:ohmy: ???

SLOVENIJA???
boje_sie.gif

Please... please... please... PLEASE tell me you're not going further to the north of Europe than Vienna :crack: (to see U2)

Last edited:
lol
This thread is hilarious.
From where I'm sitting, most of you here are behaving like spoiled brats.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the first one to whine about how I'd prefer a more intimate arena-show over the Brussels gig I'm going to on Friday.

But still. Get over yourselves, i'm sure there's better use for the energy spent on this.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
I've got it! Let's start an online petition so U2 really know how we've been fucked over!! And if that doesn't work we'll protest outside the next grammies!!

Best idea yet, I can't believe someone didn't think of it earlier!!

I liked the arena. I got to see the band really well without spending multiple G's on tickets. Next time though: I want a stadium. But it won't happen. :(

:rolleyes:
this thread is supposed to be humourous, not serious - it is one long joke from start to finish!!!

That does sound really patronising I know, so sorry to anyone who didn't manage to miss the point REPEATEDLY OVER 14 PAGES OF NONSENSE. This is getting beyond silly!:huh:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
:rolleyes:
this thread is supposed to be humourous, not serious - it is one long joke from start to finish!!!

That does sound really patronising I know, so sorry to anyone who didn't manage to miss the point REPEATEDLY OVER 14 PAGES OF NONSENSE. This is getting beyond silly!:huh:

So does that mean no online petitions? No protest at the grammys??

:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom